SHIPPING COMPANIES FROM UK TO OZ

PETELEWIS

Hi all.

I'm currently looking into shipping both my van and household furniture and have been quoted £6500 as well as 10% of the vans worth GST and 5 % Duty tax.

That sounded like a lot.Just wondering who people used, would recommend and if anybody did the packing themselves as I really need to find a cheaper option.

Thanks for your time.

Pete

On 07/03/2018 at 20:19, PETELEWIS said:

Hi all.

I'm currently looking into shipping both my van and household furniture and have been quoted £6500 as well as 10% of the vans worth GST and 5 % Duty tax.

That sounded like a lot.Just wondering who people used, would recommend and if anybody did the packing themselves as I really need to find a cheaper option.

Thanks for your time.

Pete

I'm packing and shipping myself- I'd love to be able to afford someone else to do it but right now it's not possible so I'm going to be doing it with the help of some friends and a load of packing materials!! ( subject to getting my visa of course) 

Guest The Pom Queen
On 08/03/2018 at 06:19, PETELEWIS said:

Hi all.

Thanks for your time.

Pete

Hi @PETELEWIS

I recommend getting a few quotes, PSS and John Masons have a good reputation on here. What I would highly suggest is to go with Letton Percival who are a third party insurance broker and a lot cheaper than the removal companies. 

I suggest, you should calculate your household luggage. Dimension wise and weight wise. You can then select 20’ container or 40HC. In 20 ft container you can carry 28 m3 and by weight 20 ton. In 40 ft container, you can easily stuff 56m3 or weight wise 25 tons. You can decide freight with shipping lines or you can talked with expediter, k&k and many other freight forwarder . You get the all in rate.
Ask for the shipping lines they use
Get the Master Bill of Lading from them.
Ask them the rates should be printed on Master Bill of lading.
If you want to save the money than pack your household your self, put them on the boxes which can be loaded easily. Put your van in front of the container, lash it properly, and keep you luggage behind the van, it should be stuffed and lash properly so that it should bear the pitch and roll of the ship in sea. If you can do that you may save a lot of money.
Regards

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a quote from one company and when I asked if they would be sending someone to the house to see what is being shipped they said they can't. I have read on here that we must get someone to see the items being shipped to get a better quote. 

Is this normal for a company to now send someone to check?

sorry if off topic a little bit.....insuring the goods with third party insurance I realize is a must....I see you guys promote Letton Percival but we are not in the UK and have googled to see what is available to Canadians with little luck...does anyone have any idea? 

Edited by Cegor

5 hours ago, Cegor said:

I just got a quote from one company and when I asked if they would be sending someone to the house to see what is being shipped they said they can't. I have read on here that we must get someone to see the items being shipped to get a better quote. 

Is this normal for a company to now send someone to check?

sorry if off topic a little bit.....insuring the goods with third party insurance I realize is a must....I see you guys promote Letton Percival but we are not in the UK and have googled to see what is available to Canadians with little luck...does anyone have any idea? 

Domestically, it's pretty normal these days for companies not to come and visit, but to rely on your estimate.   It didn't used to be the case and I find it annoying, because in my experience, it often ends up with them with them either over-pricing , or sending too small a truck.   For that reason, I would be anxious about that method for a move overseas.  Try another company!

I googled '3rd party shipping insurance, canada' and 'independent shipping insurance, canada' and a few variations of those and got results back that are probably worth looking over, checking out, reading reviews/feedback etc 

Also, re your shipping quote, you are in Canada and they may do things differently to companies in the UK which is what many people on here will know about and be familiar with. I'd keep calling round more companies and seeing what their policies are. If they are all unsighted, you may have to accept and go with that or be prepared to insist they come out. Or consider self packing and shipping with something like a Movecube if you don't have masses of stuff. 

http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/en-ca/

40 minutes ago, snifter said:

I googled '3rd party shipping insurance, canada' and 'independent shipping insurance, canada' and a few variations of those and got results back that are probably worth looking over, checking out, reading reviews/feedback etc 

Also, re your shipping quote, you are in Canada and they may do things differently to companies in the UK which is what many people on here will know about and be familiar with. I'd keep calling round more companies and seeing what their policies are. If they are all unsighted, you may have to accept and go with that or be prepared to insist they come out. Or consider self packing and shipping with something like a Movecube if you don't have masses of stuff. 

http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/en-ca/

thank you for the info. I will continue my search and dig deep.....I tried the link but when I try entering the country just to fill in the info and get a quote...sadly it tells me "invalid country"....so perhaps it is not worldwide as I thought :(

will keep searching

• 1 month later...