register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

vegetarianism and veganism

Is it natural?

My view is that we have canine teeth to rip meat off the bones of carcusses of animals not to eat hummus and pita bread.

Related image

• Like 2

Each to their own.

I cant see myself ever becoming a vegertarian or vegan although i do sometimes wonder what crap is pumped into some animals whose meat we eat.

Cal x

• Like 1

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

I would be gutted if one day for whatever reason I had to turn veg / vegan ?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, simmo said:

Is it natural?

My view is that we have canine teeth to rip meat off the bones of carcusses of animals not to eat hummus and pita bread.

Related image

I am the only vegetarian in my family.  Apart from not wanting to eat an animal I simply don't like the taste of meat.  Haven't eaten lamb, pork or beef for over 30 years and stopped eating chicken about 10 years ago.  Still eat fish though so I believe I am what is called a pescatarian not strictly vegetarian.  Definitely not vegan as I eat dairy products and eggs.  I am healthy with loads of energy, very rarely have a cold, iron levels are normal so my body doesn't need meat to be healthy.

• Like 2

I think the few sharp teeth we have are for piercing things like leaves to help break them down.  Could be wrong of course! 

I’m a vegetarian, have been for nearly 12 years but I do believe in veganism for ethical, moral and health reasons however it requires a lot of thought and planning and I don’t have time for that right now, however I hope to become vegan in the future. Husband eats meat etc and grew up on a dairy farm. Oldest child eats it but my youngest doesn’t but that’s just because she’s an extreme fussy eater and doesn’t eat any vegetables either. 

Edited by maidensarah
  • Like 1

We were evolved from hunter gatherers..............primarily hunters, but that cannot be used as valid argument for meat eating because we are evolving to changes in environment...............at least some of us are...........Bosnia, Afghanistan and other arenas aside

• Like 1

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

3 hours ago, calNgary said:

Each to their own.

I cant see myself ever becoming a vegertarian or vegan although i do sometimes wonder what crap is pumped into some animals whose meat we eat.

Cal x

I'm the same. I'm sure that style of diet is probably much better for you than mine is but it's not for  me. Eating is a great pleasure sadly denied to millions, I for one won't restrict the things I like, one of which is meat

• Like 1

I like veggie food if it's cooked well. But I also love a good steak. I also would be quite happy to hunt something down, kill it and eat it, and have done this before.

Also, I could probably go veggie and not be bothered.

But I do like variety, and I worry I might get bored with veggie after a while.

Some eat the wrong meat raw even ? well done or cabbage it is ?

41 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Eating is a great pleasure sadly denied to millions, 

There could be more food available for those that don’t have much food if we used the land currently used for grazing animals or growing food for animals to eat so we can eat the animals..

• Like 2

Humans evolved as omnivores, it's that simple. If people want to become vegetarian that's fine but not something I would ever do. 

Loving life in Gods Country. Woohoo, look at me. 

2 hours ago, maidensarah said:

There could be more food available for those that don’t have much food if we used the land currently used for grazing animals or growing food for animals to eat so we can eat the animals..

How would that work? There's plenty of spare fields and land about, how would more spare fields feed billions of people across the world?

Edited by Tulip1
  • Sad 1

Oh for a bacon and egg burger...with lettuce and a slice of beetroot and tomato...and onion...Or a chicken sandwich...Or a meat curry...

But at 5.30AM I think I'll have to wait until lunchtime.

Cheers, Bobj.

We only eat fish, no meat.

I have been a lapsed veggie about 4 times over the years but, some time ago, I decided that it was something I wanted to commit to. Ultimately, I think breeding and killing animals for food is cruel. We have doggies and when I look into their eyes I see a soul, is it any different for a pig? Probably not.

Just my opinion about how I live my life, support anyone's choices to do what they want, this just makes me feel better about my life. That said, there seem to be a lot more veggies/vegans about lately, maybe a growing trend.

• Like 3

Should we judge different cultures that like to eat whales, seals or even cat and dog?

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, RandL said:

Pointless post. !

Pointless reply

14 hours ago, simmo said:

Should we judge different cultures that like to eat whales, seals or even cat and dog?

As long as you don't mind them judging you. Is a dog, cat, seal or cow better than a cow?

On 07/03/2018 at 17:06, Tulip1 said:

How would that work? There's plenty of spare fields and land about, how would more spare fields feed billions of people across the world?

There's a lot of starving people too. 

I do wonder if everyone had to actually look any animal in the eyes and slaughter it prior to eating it, we would see a lot more vegetarians. We have become so disconnected from the source of our food and other than direct cuts from a butcher everything else is highly processed and contains who knows what?

I think would could all do with reducing our meat consumption and it certainly can be healthy becoming completely vegan I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, newjez said:

As long as you don't mind them judging you. Is a dog, cat, seal or cow better than a cow?

I should imagine a dog and seal tastes like lamb, a cat like rabbit/chicken and cow tastes similar to a cow.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, newjez said:

I would say a cow is exactly the same as a cow, just saying :)

Loving life in Gods Country. Woohoo, look at me. 

The first explorers to cross the USA ate a lot of dog. They said they preferred it to deer. Never tried it myself. I don't care what people eat, but I would hope that it's treated well and has had a good life, and the best death possible.