ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

vegetarianism and veganism

54 minutes ago, Sunset said:

Sausages 

Linda McCartney?

I do like a good sausage. Even been known to try a bit of black pudding. And I could die for what the Italians do with a dead pig and a few herbs.

Edited by newjez

On 08/03/2018 at 14:09, simmo said:

Pointless reply

pointless qote

2 hours ago, RandL said:

pointless qote

no points for "qote" 

image.thumb.png.c52c200f7c96d3a5eb58aa87a498dc01.png

Image result for pointless

Edited by simmo

15 hours ago, simmo said:

I should imagine a dog and seal tastes like lamb, a cat like rabbit/chicken and cow tastes similar to a cow.

Thought everything tasted like chicken 

On 3/8/2018 at 04:06, Tulip1 said:

How would that work? There's plenty of spare fields and land about, how would more spare fields feed billions of people across the world?

You need more than "spare fields and land" to grow food.     It needs the right type of soils, the right climate and the right rainfall.  That's why places like north Africa have hundreds of thousands of square miles of spare  land - but chronic starvation for the population.    That's also why only 6% of Australian land is used to produce food/crops.

The production of animal protein needs many times more land, water and energy than vegetarian protein.  Beef uses the most by a long way.   If everyone in the world ate the sort of animal rich diet we eat in Oz the world would need 50% more habitable land (where humans can actually live)  than it has.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, CaptainR said:

I do wonder if everyone had to actually look any animal in the eyes and slaughter it prior to eating it, we would see a lot more vegetarians.

Paul McCartney:     'If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian.'    I agree with him except ..."everyone except a few violent psychopaths".

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Thought everything tasted like chicken 

Have you tried an organic chicken from Waitrose? They are unbelievable. They don't taste like "chicken". Well worth the money. I prefer to eat less meat but better meat.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Skani said:

Paul McCartney:     'If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian.'    I agree with him except ..."everyone except a few violent psychopaths".

I know exactly what goes on in a "slaughterhouse" does that make me a "violent psychopath"?

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, simmo said:

I know exactly what goes on in a "slaughterhouse" does that make me a "violent psychopath"?

Probably

11 hours ago, newjez said:

Have you tried an organic chicken from Waitrose? They are unbelievable. They don't taste like "chicken". Well worth the money. I prefer to eat less meat but better meat.

We have started only eating chicken from Sainsbury's, the difference is incredibly. We haven't tried Waitrose though. 

Loving life in Gods Country. Woohoo, look at me. 

50 minutes ago, Skani said:

Probably

Nothing further from the truth.

We were vegetarian for 28 years (because it was then touted as the healthy thing to do) then decided (well, the DH did, I went along for the ride) that paleo was the way to go.  Our boys had been raised vegetarian and one, at 21 had a bit of a struggle to come to terms with eating meat - we didnt force it at all but he wanted to try and now he is the most paleo of the lot of us.  He's off this weekend filling the freezer with roo or deer or whatever gets in his gun sights.  He butchers them as well and makes fabulous paleo sausages.  The other son worked in a cafe where the chef thought it was his mission to introduce DS to all the good things of life so made meat dishes to educate his palate.  That worked for him and I dont doubt that he, too, would be quite at home doing his own killing if he needed to, though generally he prefers Mr Sainsbury's already butchered offerings.

During our 28 years vego we had about 2 years of veganism but gee that was hard going.

• Like 1