Brisbane Advice

Waz05

10 hours ago, Waz05 said:

You are correct everywhere is slightly different. I guess we will have to see how we react and adopt to it. 

No, everywhere is not "slightly" different.  Places can be very, very different!   Unfortunately you won't know you react until you make the permanent move and then it's too late - if one of you is like me or Goofy, they'll just have to stay indoors all summer while the rest of you enjoy yourselves!   Anyhow, to offset our opinions, here's a contrary view:

https://www.bobinoz.com/blog/18200/the-truth-about-humidity-and-the-weather-in-brisbane/

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

I can count on 1 hand how many days the heat / humidity as stopped me doing this things in the last 6 months and made me stay inside. You do get a few days where its unbelieveably hot but the majority are fine. Only last year we had air con fitted in the house, we have managed for 10 years quite adequately with ceiling fans and a quick dip in the pool on the really hot days. 

I have an undercover washing line that is outside and in summer most things dry within a few hours, which is great for washing bedding. Its days like we have had this weekend that are wet and gray that nothing dries and its been far from hot,, just miserable and damp.

Cal x

11 minutes ago, calNgary said:

I can count on 1 hand how many days the heat / humidity as stopped me doing this things in the last 6 months and made me stay inside. You do get a few days where its unbelieveably hot but the majority are fine. Only last year we had air con fitted in the house, we have managed for 10 years quite adequately with ceiling fans and a quick dip in the pool on the really hot days. 

Lucky you.  My ex was always perplexed by my reaction to the humid weather, it was like we were living in two separate climates.  People who can handle humidity just can't understand the misery of those of us who can't.  

I lived in the heat in Africa for three years with no air con, never had a problem.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, calNgary said:

The heat doesnt bother me at all, its the cold that gets me. I can't retain body temps so get cold very easily, hence i dread July and August here as i know i will freeze,lol

Cal x

Yes, sounds like you're like Gbye Grey Sky who posted a similar response.  Some people find their body can't retain heat (like you) whereas other people retain heat too well.  Once I get hot, the only way I can cool down is to immerse myself in cold water until my core temperature falls.  A cold shower feels like it's working while I'm under the shower, but by the time I'm halfway through towelling myself dry, I'm sweating again.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3

Yes it really depends on the person. I am fine on holiday in Malaysia or Thailand and can happily walk for miles in the heat and humidity. Different if I was working though 

i like living in Adelaide where it is dryer though. 

On a UK trip a while back it was 30 degrees and with no aircon and the humidity it was less pleasant than 40 degrees here

Edited by rammygirl
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Yes it really depends on the person. I am fine on holiday in Malaysia or Thailand and can happily walk for miles in the heat and humidity. Different if I was working though 

i like living in Adelaide where it is dryer though. 

On a UK trip a while back it was 30 degrees and with no aircon and the humidity it was less pleasant than 40 degrees here

I've been in London when it was over 30C and very humid.  It was a relief to get up to Scotland where it was 21C.

Not sure how I coped in Brunei for 10 years, hot and humid all year round, but I did get used to it and played tennis in the late afternoons, and badminton any time in a very large sports hall with no air conditioning, more than ready to jump into a pool afterwards though. Children and adults played sport and plenty went cycling again late afternoon. Always loads of people walking again late afternoon after work. Hashing was very popular. 

Almost Every work building and all the malls were air conditioned, but lots of local schools weren't, and expat teachers found it very hard.

Live on the Sunshine Coast now and yes it is hot and humid in summer, but lovely for the rest of the year.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

It really does seem that the humidity of Brisbane is a really personal thing; we've been here 18 months and barely used the air con at all this summer (though hands up when it was bad it went straight on).

We found that we acclimatised very quickly, and in particular exercise seemed to help with that.

I've been working in Singapore and find the humidity there so much worse that Brisbane feels like a dry heat now!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ferrets said:

It really does seem that the humidity of Brisbane is a really personal thing; we've been here 18 months and barely used the air con at all this summer (though hands up when it was bad it went straight on).

We found that we acclimatised very quickly, and in particular exercise seemed to help with that.

I've been working in Singapore and find the humidity there so much worse that Brisbane feels like a dry heat now!

The heat and humidity in Singapore is horrendous.