Scorpions

can1983

I had to look up scorpions and it stated they are usually found in the forested areas.  Yes, I would think it does hurt if you'e stung.  :confused: I know there are those ants around which give a nasty sting but I've not come across them either.

1 hour ago, can1983 said:

We've had 5 or 6 wood scorpions in Kingston, apparently they will sting and it hurts / sometimes requires minor medical attention. seem to come in whilst its raining

It's excruciatingly  painful.  I know....because I stood on one in the shower one day.   :arghh:  I've been bitten by jack jumper ants too:  they are very painful but I think the scorpion sting is worse.  The only way to discourage them is to block any tiny gap in your house where they may come in.  I assume you have flywire door and window screens?   That's the first step.

Then the Sustainable Living Centre (1st floor, 71  Murray Street)

http://www.slt.org.au/

has flexible insulation tape to go around doors and windows and adapts to the variable spacing often found around individual  door or window frames.

http://www.slt.org.au/shop#!/V-flex-draught-proofing-tape/p/75004775/category=0

Also have door seals at the bottom of doors which prevent insects (some of them don't).

In addition check around plumbing pipes, heat pumps etc. for any tiny gaps in walls where they may be able to squeeze through.  

I don't know if you have firewood for a log burner but, if so, check logs before bringing them inside.

• 3 weeks later...

Does permethryn spray work against scorpions? We had our rental sprayed as we were getting lots of white tails.  With 3 small kids and then waking up with a white tail on my arm (!) we decided to have pest control spray. It's  harmless to mammals. I don't like to spray and kill things off but in this instance I felt it was justified. 

Edited by Bound4Tassie

Guest The Pom Queen

We had scorpions when we lived backing on to the rainforest in Cairns. We did put a border spray around the property and it seemed to keep everything out after that.

18 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

Oh and those ant bites are worse than bee stings. 

You're  not wrong.  I disturbed a nest of them one day when I was clearing some bracken fern...and 2 of them ran into my wellies and bit me on the leg.  I think I said some rude words!  :arghh: