Vetassess waiting time for technical interview

Emma_M

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, thanks for being kind to share your information, i have been reading all of your success/happy/sad/frustration sharing in this thread and getting important clarifications on few major timelines you had been, although nowadays the waiting time is longer than earlier, I am not so sure how long it will take for my progress. I am still long way to go.

My occupation: Metal Fabricator, Vetassess lodged: 06/03/19, Stage-1 positive result on 25/05/19 (126-Days), Stage-2 fees paid on 26/06/2019 and now waiting for my Technical Interview confirmation dates (14-Days as of today not heard from them).

It would be much appreciated if anyone can provide me your recent timeline from Skill assessment - EOI to visa lodging and final grant!!

I have two question:

1) Particularly what will happen when you submit the visa and cross the age limit? Should it be valid after your submission has been done and calculated total points remain same?

2) I have completed a three years Engineering Diploma in May-2015, which is stated by Vetassess in my stage-1 outcome, and I have completed my Bachelor of Honours Degree in Nov-2018. How many points should i able to claim for education?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

1 hour ago, Enam said:

Hi everyone, thanks for being kind to share your information, i have been reading all of your success/happy/sad/frustration sharing in this thread and getting important clarifications on few major timelines you had been, although nowadays the waiting time is longer than earlier, I am not so sure how long it will take for my progress. I am still long way to go.

My occupation: Metal Fabricator, Vetassess lodged: 06/03/19, Stage-1 positive result on 25/05/19 (126-Days), Stage-2 fees paid on 26/06/2019 and now waiting for my Technical Interview confirmation dates (14-Days as of today not heard from them).

It would be much appreciated if anyone can provide me your recent timeline from Skill assessment - EOI to visa lodging and final grant!!

I have two question:

1) Particularly what will happen when you submit the visa and cross the age limit? Should it be valid after your submission has been done and calculated total points remain same?

2) I have completed a three years Engineering Diploma in May-2015, which is stated by Vetassess in my stage-1 outcome, and I have completed my Bachelor of Honours Degree in Nov-2018. How many points should i able to claim for education?

Hi Enam

I cant answer number 1 but for number 2 im sure that you claim points for your highest qualification so that would be your degree.

13 hours ago, Lavers said:

Hi Enam

I cant answer number 1 but for number 2 im sure that you claim points for your highest qualification so that would be your degree.

Hi Lavers, thank you so much for assuring that, i was confused on calculating that points. 

I hope somebody els will help to answer question number 1. 

On 10/07/2019 at 18:14, Enam said:

I have two question:

Yesterday on 15/07/19, received my Stage-2 Technical Interview date confirmation; it is scheduled on 01/08/2019.

Getting stressed 😑

2 hours ago, Enam said:

Yesterday on 15/07/19, received my Stage-2 Technical Interview date confirmation; it is scheduled on 01/08/2019.

Getting stressed 😑

Brilliant news Enam

Dont worry about it, just keep going over things and you'll be fine.

Also remember that there not trying to catch you out there just making sure that you have done it as a trade and know what your on about.

👍

1 hour ago, Lavers said:

Brilliant news Enam

Also remember that there not trying to catch you out there just making sure that you have done it as a trade and know what your on about.

👍

Thanks Lavers,

Yeah lastly the date is fixed now!

Truly appreciated your reply & inspiration.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/07/2019 at 04:54, Lavers said:

Brilliant news Enam

👍

Lavers,

I am a new member on here just trying to pick up some tips before I start the process. I read some of your previous threads, my situation is similar to yours I think, I am looking to apply for a 190 visa as fitter (General) ANZSCO 323211, I have been in my trade a long time so got plenty of trade qualifications / experience hopefully. I am also going to apply without and agent mainly due to saving costs, I was just wondering how you or anybody else found the whole process without using agents ? Thanks and appreciate any advice.

10 hours ago, Chris B said:

Lavers,

I am a new member on here just trying to pick up some tips before I start the process. I read some of your previous threads, my situation is similar to yours I think, I am looking to apply for a 190 visa as fitter (General) ANZSCO 323211, I have been in my trade a long time so got plenty of trade qualifications / experience hopefully. I am also going to apply without and agent mainly due to saving costs, I was just wondering how you or anybody else found the whole process without using agents ? Thanks and appreciate any advice.

Hiya Chris

To start with I just did a quick assessment with an agent just to go over everything and make sure that I was right in thinking that I could qualify for a visa, it cost £50 and gave me an in depth view on my options.

I had a quote then with the agent to do the visas and I think it was around £4000 so thought that I would go it alone. My case is fairly straight forward and up to now I have found it no trouble at all (although I haven't received my visas yet so that could change).

I know some or your units as a fitter cross over with fabrication, how many points can you get at the minute towards your visa?

• Like 1

Hi Lavers,

Thanks for the reply. 

I can score 65 points with the state nomination, which I know is not particularly high, that's another thing l am a little nervous with, as I do appreciate that they do take the highest scoring applicants first. I did read a few places that some of the states do look at occupation first then points, I suppose it depends on the demand for my trade. 

An agent did send me some details saying only Northern Territories, NSW & SA had my occupation on their lists.

The other issue for myself is also my age, I am 44 the start of this October 19, so 45 in Oct 20, looking at the timeline the agent gave and other people's timelines, it could be approx Jan 20 by the time I am in a position to lodge the EOI, only giving me a 9 mth window to get invited, nominated etc before I turn 45.

Obviously I do wish I had started this process a lot earlier than now, I have dual nationality for the US and was planning on moving there next year, but some work our plans changed. I know getting the visa for AUS is probably a real long shot now, with the clock ticking, but while it was still maybe an option I feel I want to give it a shot ! 

I remember reading on one of your posts where you said you couldn't acquire the needed 20 points for superior English using the IELTS and the you switched visa from 189 to 190, does that mean you don't need to sit a English test to gain the 20 points for the 190 visa and having a passport from the UK suffices ?

3 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Hi Lavers,

Thanks for the reply. 

I can score 65 points with the state nomination, which I know is not particularly high, that's another thing l am a little nervous with, as I do appreciate that they do take the highest scoring applicants first. I did read a few places that some of the states do look at occupation first then points, I suppose it depends on the demand for my trade. 

An agent did send me some details saying only Northern Territories, NSW & SA had my occupation on their lists.

The other issue for myself is also my age, I am 44 the start of this October 19, so 45 in Oct 20, looking at the timeline the agent gave and other people's timelines, it could be approx Jan 20 by the time I am in a position to lodge the EOI, only giving me a 9 mth window to get invited, nominated etc before I turn 45.

Obviously I do wish I had started this process a lot earlier than now, I have dual nationality for the US and was planning on moving there next year, but some work our plans changed. I know getting the visa for AUS is probably a real long shot now, with the clock ticking, but while it was still maybe an option I feel I want to give it a shot ! 

I remember reading on one of your posts where you said you couldn't acquire the needed 20 points for superior English using the IELTS and the you switched visa from 189 to 190, does that mean you don't need to sit a English test to gain the 20 points for the 190 visa and having a passport from the UK suffices ?

That doesn't leave a lot of time so you would have to get cracking straight away, I still got 10points from my IELTS and that only put me on 60points hence the changing to the 190visa. I then applied to SA for the 190 which got approved after 4weeks with 65points.

I think with trades like ours you will get state approval if you meet all the criteria, as you will be aware it isn't easy finding men that do what we do.

I started the process last June by sitting my IELTS then I didn't rush everything as I don't want to move until next summer, so I didn't start getting my skills assessed until September then that took until December until I got my interview for this Feb.  So all in all the skill assessment took 6 months.

I then submitted my EOI to SA end of Feb which was approved end of Mar, then submitted my visa end of Apr.

Do you need to sit the IELTS to get the points you need? also the points are changing in Nov so if your partner is English speaking you receive 5points for that and 10points if you are a single applicant.

Not sure how it works with your age in that if you submit your visa before 45 then it is ok, but processing times at the minute for a 190visa are 10 - 15 months.

Yes your right i do need to get cracking with my application, I have some time off work now, so I need to use that to make some serious progress.

Did you just submit EOI's to more than one state ?, what made you choose SA ? 

Yes I need the 20 points from the IELTS to get the 65 points, I did read about the changes in Nov, it also looks they will award 15 points for being nominated by a state and with the extra 5 points for my English speaking wife I could hopefully still hit the 65+ point mark if I score say 10 points on the IELTS. 

Thanks again for the info. 

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

Yes your right i do need to get cracking with my application, I have some time off work now, so I need to use that to make some serious progress.

Did you just submit EOI's to more than one state ?, what made you choose SA ? 

Yes I need the 20 points from the IELTS to get the 65 points, I did read about the changes in Nov, it also looks they will award 15 points for being nominated by a state and with the extra 5 points for my English speaking wife I could hopefully still hit the 65+ point mark if I score say 10 points on the IELTS. 

Thanks again for the info. 

I only submitted an eoi to SA, I was originally looking at brisbane but they didn't sponsor my trade so I had to look elsewhere.

The more I looked at SA the more I started to prefer it over brisbane so I decided to go for the 190 rather than try the ielts again.

Houses look reasonable, there seems to be plenty of jobs and I also like the idea of still having seasons with the weather.

If you are serious then your probably best of starting to get your skill assessment underway and also booking a couple of ielts tests, I think you can cancel 14days before and still get most of your money back if you dont need to sit it.

5 minutes ago, Lavers said:

I only submitted an eoi to SA, I was originally looking at brisbane but they didn't sponsor my trade so I had to look elsewhere.

The more I looked at SA the more I started to prefer it over brisbane so I decided to go for the 190 rather than try the ielts again.

Houses look reasonable, there seems to be plenty of jobs and I also like the idea of still having seasons with the weather.

If you are serious then your probably best of starting to get your skill assessment underway and also booking a couple of ielts tests, I think you can cancel 14days before and still get most of your money back if you dont need to sit it.

I have been on the Vetassess website tonight getting to grips with all the skills assessment process, I am going to start gathering all the evidence to submit for the first part and yeah I will look into the IELTS tests. I do need to study more in depth both SA & NSW.

Do appreciate your advice & I will update my progress on here.

Good luck with receiving all your visas soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally..Today I received my Skill Assessment successful outcome via email (after exactly 3-weeks from the interview given)!

Thank you everyone for sharing your timeline earlier it really helps me to wait patiently to receive my interview outcome and special thanks to @Lavers for guiding me in details too 🙂

Altogether it took more than 5-months/169-days to complete my SA with Vetassess, now waiting to receive the posted hard copies.

19 minutes ago, Enam said:

Finally..Today I received my Skill Assessment successful outcome via email (after exactly 3-weeks from the interview given)!

Thank you everyone for sharing your timeline earlier it really helps me to wait patiently to receive my interview outcome and special thanks to @Lavers for guiding me in details too 🙂

Altogether it took more than 5-months/169-days to complete my SA with Vetassess, now waiting to receive the posted hard copies.

Congrats enam, now onto the next stage and more waiting

Hello Enam ,

Thanks alot for your support
Would you please tell me the questions asked to you ?

i am already working as an operator of cnc machines from last 3-4 years. I have knowledge about measuring instruments , machine parts etc .

Any other departments where i need to get some information which are asked in interview ?

Hi Gurpreet,
I attended my Metal Fabricator interview early this month, hope it is similar to your's too.
You may find this post helpful:
All the best!

Hi Gurpreet,

You are most welcome.

At first they will ask you to describe your work nature and then they will align and ask question based on your work environment.

if you are working for some times, then you have to just revise relevant work supports from other departments and you will find easy during the interview.

Although the early link last reply i attached some preparation materials, you may look into that for more details.

Here are most of the questions I can remember from my interview and i break them into each Competency of Metal Fabricator's Units Category:

CORE UNITS:

• Screen appears with different types of tools and where do you use them? (Tape measure).
  • How do you use micrometer/temperature meter/gas pressure etc. ?
  • How do you keep/maintain all tools you use at work?
  • Why team work is important? What is your role in the team?
  • What types of communication you need to do at your work?
  • How do you ensure your work output maintain good quality?
  • To whom do you approach when you need to confirm your job done correctly or not?
  • Do you train others at your workplace like new intern / on-job-training?
  • Do you use any computer/program at your work?
  • How do you relate sustainability practice at your work?

ENGINEERING OPERATIONS:

• What engineering tools do you use at your work? How do you maintain them?
  • Identify measurements from a simple drawing.
  • What machine do you use to cut your metal sections? How do you transfer/load/unload?
  • What PPE you use in each activities?
  • Are there any hazardous materials you need to use? How do you store chemicals?

WELDING:

• What type of welding do you have to do most? What are the safety procedures for that?
  • Do you have to use any cutting/preparations on the job?
  • What process and position of welding you have to do?
  • How to set-up machine for MMAW/SMAW/FCAW/MIG/TIG?
  • What are the differences in each different types of welding machine?
  • What are the gas pressures for each machine set-up?
  • What are the different types of filler materials used in different process?
  • What would you look at first on your welding once you completed a welding?

FABRICATION:

• How do you fit/fabricate/assemble/install your jobs? Using jigs or manually?
  • Do you establish any templates or shop drawing? Do you use a computer? What software use?
  • Show a drawing and ask you to explain how would you fabricate a dust pan?
  • If any drawing not clearly updated, who will provide you correct information?
  • Asked about welding symbols and tells to explain foe each representation.
  • Tells you a scenario to repair a job and asked to explain how would you complete that job?
  • What types of PPE used in different work pattern.

NC/CNC MACHINING:

• Do you use NC/CNC machine? How do you use a machine?
  • How do you cut and remove the metals pieces from the bay to bay?
  • Why do you use computer? How do you change tools in your machine?
  • How do you sharpen your drill-bits? And where you store them after use?
  • How do you transfer data into the CNC machine? Is there any software?

Hope you find it helpful.

All the best ahead.

• Like 1

Thank alot enam

these are very useful for me.
Just 10 dats left

Hi Gurpreet,
You are most welcome.
At first they will ask you to describe your work nature and then they will align and ask question based on your work environment.
if you are working for some times, then you have to just revise relevant work supports from other departments and you will find easy during the interview.
Although the early link last reply i attached some preparation materials, you may look into that for more details.
Here are most of the questions I can remember from my interview and i break them into each Competency of Metal Fabricator's Units Category:
CORE UNITS:
  • Screen appears with different types of tools and where do you use them? (Tape measure).
  • How do you use micrometer/temperature meter/gas pressure etc. ?
  • How do you keep/maintain all tools you use at work?
  • Why team work is important? What is your role in the team?
  • What types of communication you need to do at your work?
  • How do you ensure your work output maintain good quality?
  • To whom do you approach when you need to confirm your job done correctly or not?
  • Do you train others at your workplace like new intern / on-job-training?
  • Do you use any computer/program at your work?
  • How do you relate sustainability practice at your work?
ENGINEERING OPERATIONS:
  • What engineering tools do you use at your work? How do you maintain them?
  • Identify measurements from a simple drawing.
  • What machine do you use to cut your metal sections? How do you transfer/load/unload?
  • What PPE you use in each activities?
  • Are there any hazardous materials you need to use? How do you store chemicals?
WELDING:
  • What type of welding do you have to do most? What are the safety procedures for that?
  • Do you have to use any cutting/preparations on the job?
  • What process and position of welding you have to do?
  • How to set-up machine for MMAW/SMAW/FCAW/MIG/TIG?
  • What are the differences in each different types of welding machine?
  • What are the gas pressures for each machine set-up?
  • What are the different types of filler materials used in different process?
  • What would you look at first on your welding once you completed a welding?
FABRICATION:
  • How do you fit/fabricate/assemble/install your jobs? Using jigs or manually?
  • Do you establish any templates or shop drawing? Do you use a computer? What software use?
  • Show a drawing and ask you to explain how would you fabricate a dust pan?
  • If any drawing not clearly updated, who will provide you correct information?
  • Asked about welding symbols and tells to explain foe each representation.
  • Tells you a scenario to repair a job and asked to explain how would you complete that job?
  • What types of PPE used in different work pattern.
NC/CNC MACHINING:
  • Do you use NC/CNC machine? How do you use a machine?
  • How do you cut and remove the metals pieces from the bay to bay?
  • Why do you use computer? How do you change tools in your machine?
  • How do you sharpen your drill-bits? And where you store them after use?
  • How do you transfer data into the CNC machine? Is there any software?
Hope you find it helpful.
All the best ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lavers Sir, my name is nipin waiting for my vet assess second stage piratical test trade metal fabricator, could you tell me what type task my given my the assessor during practical test or technical interview am just totally unaware this part kindly help me sir.+6585255537   

HI Nipin

Im not too sure on what you do in the practical as I only did the interview.

I think I did see something somewhere that said the had to fabricate a dust pan which they marked out from a drawing, folded up then welded.

If I had to have a guess then I would say that you would have to do some welding with MMA,TIG or MIG and also set up the welding sets, set the gas pressure etc.

Also they may cover using the gas torch for heating up or flame cutting, so you would be using the oxy/acetylene bottles to do this.

I will see if I can find any proper information for you.