register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Chris_Morris

Attractive Suburbs around Melbourne

Hi Group,

Me, my partner and son (3yrs) are moving to Victoria in June. We are looking for a suburb that is located within a 35-40 minute commute of Melbourne's CBD, it will only be myself that will be working from the start whilst we find our feet so needs to be reasonably priced and we would like a house, any suggestions would be so helpful. The area needs to have plenty to do for my partner and little one  during the day.

What would the cost of living be roughly (i.e. Electricity, Gas, Internet, phone line...)

Thank you to any one that can help.

C

What's your budget?  Melbourne sprawls over a much wider area than you'd expect, given the size of the population, so a 35-40 minute commute would be an inner suburb.  It takes me 

The best way to work out the commute is to use Google maps.  Pick a suburb, then change the "depart at" time to "arrive by" 8.30 am on a Monday, and see how long the trip takes. 

Essendon is 30-35 minutes on public transport, so that's about your limit northwards. 

Look on domain.com.au and realestate.com.au to get an idea of rentals, but do bear in mind that they use fish-eye lenses to make places look bigger than they really are.   Be prepared - house prices are through the roof in Melbourne, and rentals are rising accordingly.

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

On 06/03/2018 at 03:11, Chris_Morris said:

Hi Group,

Me, my partner and son (3yrs) are moving to Victoria in June. We are looking for a suburb that is located within a 35-40 minute commute of Melbourne's CBD, it will only be myself that will be working from the start whilst we find our feet so needs to be reasonably priced and we would like a house, any suggestions would be so helpful. The area needs to have plenty to do for my partner and little one  during the day.

What would the cost of living be roughly (i.e. Electricity, Gas, Internet, phone line...)

Thank you to any one that can help.

C

For commuting you need a train line.  The tram lines will not get you far out in 40mins as they are very slow. There  is only one rapid bus line from Doncaster to the east of Melbourne and if you move there you had better speak Chinese.  If you want established, civilised and a somewhat desirable suburb to live in you need to go to the South East or perhaps East of the city, West and North tend to be somewhat rougher by nature, including many of the inhabitants.  Much depends on your budget.  In the higher priced rental bracket there is less competition than in the lower priced where scores of people per available house/flat are competing to keep a roof over their heads. Newer rentals are nearly always in better condition than old as most landlords have a 'do nothing' approach to tenants. Modern double story town houses can be nice to live in. Blocks of flat can have noisy tenants and older houses can be very run down as a rule.  As for cost of utilities,  about 30-50% more than the best deals in the UK, we know as we just moved back to the UK,  dito mobile phones and cable TV etc (which on the whole is dire).On the whole there are no bargains and at the bottom of the market you dont get what you pay for so best avoided.

Good luck