What makes Britain GREAT.

bristolman

On Monday, April 02, 2018 at 15:59, Gbye grey sky said:

The vast majority of the people in England have little contact with UK specific cultural activities.  However there is a different ‘culture’ in the UK, particularly if you are outside of the larger cities.  If you loved meeting up with friends down your local pub in the village, town or suburb there is no real equivalent here for example.

I am interested in cricket, for example, and you would think that this is an obvious culture similarity but the whole cricket set up here is different to the UK.  It is much more difficult - and expensive - to join a club/team and the social aspect is different here.  Just one example I have personally noticed.  It isn’t bothering me at all but I have been interested to observe it.

There are equivalents to meeting friends down the local pub in the village. In fact you could do exactly the same where we live as it has a very "villagey" feel about it. There are several pubs in the area too.

I've found as we've got older though we tend to meet up with friends on the beach at weekends and then end up in a local  coffee shop rather than a pub. Different to the UK I know but it's much more pleasant to be outdoors here meeting friends.

26 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

There are equivalents to meeting friends down the local pub in the village. In fact you could do exactly the same where we live as it has a very "villagey" feel about it. There are several pubs in the area too.

I've found as we've got older though we tend to meet up with friends on the beach at weekends and then end up in a local  coffee shop rather than a pub. Different to the UK I know but it's much more pleasant to be outdoors here meeting friends.

not the same as spontaneously popping in the pub to see who's in, chat to the bar staff, ....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Where did you live mate? That's not the aussie beach culture I see nearly every day. Our local beach has a patrolled area but it's not restricted. You can go in anywhere you like for a swim. I've been over to Queensland and Sydney and there are some beaches there, when it's big surf that are strict about being in the flagged areas. It makes sense though as a lot of people can't swim very well.

People are down the beach every day, even in winter and swim kms. Sure there are sharks but you stand more chance of being injured in a car accident driving to the beach. 

4 hours ago, Booma said:

doesnt sound like any place in oz ive ever seen & i saw a lot of beaches all round oz when i were backpacking. 

Nothing like the beaches near where I live I think some people like to make things up at times B|

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

In parts of Queensland, at certain times of year, you can't go in the water because of stingers.  Of course, you could go in if you wanted, but you'd be pretty stupid!   

On the East Coast beaches in NSW, you are allowed to swim outside the flags but again, you'd be pretty stupid to do so - the rips are vicious, that's why the flags are there.   

As for the tents though - not something I've ever seen on Australian beaches.  In fact, it's one of the first things I noticed about Australian beaches.   Coming from Scotland, I'm used to long stretches of sandy beach - but when I was growing up, the beaches were always dotted with windbreaks (not tents) as families tried to have a day at the seaside in Scottish weather.  so the sight of a beach with no windbreaks, just people lying on towels in the open, was a novelty for me!   

Now that parents are more worried about exposing kids to the sun, maybe tents are getting more common.  

I think a lot of the time it depends on how good a swimmer you are. 

We were at Bondi a few years ago. It was a big day and the patrol guys were trying to keep everyone in the flagged area.

Later on we went to the Icebergs pool bar where I had a swim and it was so rough half the pool was sectioned off as waves were coming over the edge.

Later we were sat on the balcony having drinks and some food and we watched a guy who had swum from the flagged area on the beach to almost the sea wall next to the pool. On his own too. Obviously a very good swimmer and looked pretty comfortable in the swell. Maybe he was one of the Bondi Rescue guys? I consider myself a decent swimmer but wouldn't have been keen to try that swim.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Our village doesn’t have a pub.  Indeed it doesn’t even have a cafe now because the cafe has closed down - it had changed hands but neither had been able to make a success out of it.

Totally different here from Perth, Paul as we don’t have beaches though we have a beautiful coastline.

Where I am seems more family orientated.  Not sure where groups of friends meet up.  The only groups I am linked with are golfers and cricketers but we don’t meet up without the primary activity..........but then again I have not been into pubs and clubs now for 25+ years so was out of touch with the UK social scene.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Our village doesn’t have a pub.  Indeed it doesn’t even have a cafe now because the cafe has closed down - it had changed hands but neither had been able to make a success out of it.

Totally different here from Perth, Paul as we don’t have beaches though we have a beautiful coastline.

Where I am seems more family orientated.  Not sure where groups of friends meet up.  The only groups I am linked with are golfers and cricketers but we don’t meet up without the primary activity..........but then again I have not been into pubs and clubs now for 25+ years so was out of touch with the UK social scene.

What, no pub?. I don't think I could live in a place you describe gbye. I'm not a big City person by any means, don't usually like Cities, Perth is big enough for me without being too crowded. I like a few pubs and cafés around though. Not been to a nightclub for years but my eldest tells me there are a few good ones around.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

What, no pub?. I don't think I could live in a place you describe gbye. I'm not a big City person by any means, don't usually like Cities, Perth is big enough for me without being too crowded. I like a few pubs and cafés around though. Not been to a nightclub for years but my eldest tells me there are a few good ones around.

The village where I lived in England had a pub less than 2 minute walk from my house but, despite living there 10 years, I never went in it.  I did go to pubs occasionally when out and about normally on country walks etc for lunch but going to the local never seemed appropriate so I certainly don’t miss having a pub or indeed a cafe nearby.

We have a lovely park in the village and walking/cycling trails.  A few take-aways which we don’t use, an IGA, village hall, bottle shop, doctor, dentist, vet, chemist etc but zero goes on after dark.  If you want nightlife it is not too far to drive I guess.......but I agree our place would not work well for you.  It is very sleepy.

• Like 1

On 12/04/2018 at 17:25, Paul1Perth said:

We were at Bondi a few years ago. It was a big day and the patrol guys were trying to keep everyone in the flagged area.

Later on we went to the Icebergs pool bar where I had a swim and it was so rough half the pool was sectioned off as waves were coming over the edge.

Later we were sat on the balcony having drinks and some food and we watched a guy who had swum from the flagged area on the beach to almost the sea wall next to the pool. On his own too. Obviously a very good swimmer and looked pretty comfortable in the swell. Maybe he was one of the Bondi Rescue guys? I consider myself a decent swimmer but wouldn't have been keen to try that swim.

Nope, it depends on how much of an idiot you are.  

Just because you see people doing it, doesn't mean it's safe.  The highest rate of deaths in the surf in NSW are apparently young men who are strong swimmers, who think they're so good they can beat rips.  Which they can't, especially after they've had a few beers!

2 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

I thought to be a village it has to have a cricket green, a pub and a post office.

15 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

My MIL lived in a village in Devon with none of those.

My Mum lived outside a village with a pub and a very small post office/shop.  No cricket green.  Last time I was back the pub and post office were closed.  The pub was for sale and the PO closed for good.

6 hours ago, simmo said:

it wasn't a village then

Just remembered that there was an Inn on the outskirts of the village.  Went there a couple of times but always drove as it was a long walk down lanes with hedgerows two to three metres high in places which were dangerous to walk on especially after dark as they were only single track lanes.  They also had a church (which we also have in Australia together with a school) but no shop or PO though doubtless they had one once upon a time.

Actually a very old village mentioned in the Doomsday Book with a population of about 400 now.  MILs house was a 16th century Devon longhouse with metre thick cob walls, small lattice windows, 3 barns and thatched roof set in 3 acres.  Pretty as a picture but cold, dark and dingy inside.

19 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I agree. we don't even have patrolled beaches where we live but the locals swim safely all year round. when we moved to oz my husbands family spent a lot of time teaching me how to swim in rough seas & how to survive if i ever got into trouble in the sea or got stuck in a rip. i don't swim as well as they do & tend not to swim without them there but they made me practice so much i know i wouldnt panic now & they say its the panic that kills people.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2018 at 01:25, wattsy1982 said:

Im exactly the same with fishing. 

I loved my uk fishing,winding narrow rivers, lakes and ponds that are over grown and idyllic etc..people here say to me 'best fishing in the world here, you can catch a shark'......to me its not the same. Being in a certain tranquil place makes the experience for me...probably more than what fish I catch.

fishing on the river wye is heaven...

Image result for river wye

• Like 3

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 06:07, Sandgroper said:

So a complete lack of research on your part (Perth a dry heat SMNW!!)  lead your migration being unsuccessful and you heading back bitter and twisted..............fair play to you if your man enough to admit it.

Maybe if I was trying to get out now, I would be feeling quite bitter and rather angry.  

• Like 1