What makes Britain GREAT.

bristolman

4 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

It's strange but I've lived in Perth for 28 years and don't spend the summer 'slapping on greasy sticky sunblock'. Obviously I'm doing something wrong :P

True. You're behaving like a normal Perth resident as opposed to a very bitter pom who, after returning to his/her loving homeland, is so "home and happy" that they have nothing more to do than remind us of how unhappy they were here.......................so happy that they have to dwell on how unhappy they were?................rather strange or what?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

The used to make me laugh in oz,  the beaches would have loads of tents scattered about and now and then humans would emerge covered from head to toe in sun suits, sun screen, sun hats, sun glasses.....  they would dip a toe in the  small section of water that wasn't flagged off as dangerous (rip tides, jellyfish, stone fish, sharks,....).

Oh what fun..

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, simmo said:

The used to make me laugh in oz,  the beaches would have loads of tents scattered about and now and then humans would emerge covered from head to toe in sun suits, sun screen, sun hats, sun glasses.....  they would dip a toe in the  small section of water that wasn't flagged off as dangerous (rip tides, jellyfish, stone fish, sharks,....).

Oh what fun..

...............  and you were probably one of them too Simmo.  You big wuss.  :P

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Johndoe said:

As much as I love Oz, the above I do miss. The Lakes or Skye, and their hamlets, at any time of the year is wonderful, but looking from a (designated) viewpoint anywhere in Qld, (that I have visited) at any time of the year, just doesn't cut it with me. Out of order here (possibly) but deforestation can lead to wonderful views but unfortunately, whenever I follow a "designated viewpoint" sign in Oz, all I see is growth in front of that viewpoint...........lack of maintenance or pandering to greenies I have no idea, but it's been like that since first I set foot in Oz. I sometimes wonder how disappointed tourists must be following the "beaten track" as designated by tourist board and google?

I have to admit, that to experience Oz you have to ignore "viewpoints" and find your own, no matter what the weather.

Certainly agree with you Kev.  I had an email from a good friend today who lives on a fairly remote farm in North Yorkshire.  The views from her place are stunning - also the peace and quiet is something I'll always remember.  I lived in the Lake District for 3 years (in between Ambleside and Windermere) but much preferred the not so touristy parts like Buttermere, Ennerdale and Eskdale.  Beautiful places with fabulous walks and a bit of climbing as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Toots said:

Certainly agree with you Kev.  I had an email from a good friend today who lives on a fairly remote farm in North Yorkshire.  The views from her place are stunning - also the peace and quiet is something I'll always remember.  I lived in the Lake District for 3 years (in between Ambleside and Windermere) but much preferred the not so touristy parts like Buttermere, Ennerdale and Eskdale.  Beautiful places with fabulous walks and a bit of climbing as well.

as I type ,iam in a place called ALFRICK near Malvern .....just the birds ,that's all I can hear ...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Toots said:

WP_20180329_11_42_27_Pro.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Toots said:

was it eskdale that was in the village of the year finals ?

5 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

as I type ,iam in a place called ALFRICK near Malvern .....just the birds ,that's all I can hear ...

We used to spend a lot of time around there.  We scattered dad's ashes at the Elgar Birthplace Museum in Lower Broadheath.

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 06:07, Sandgroper said:

So a complete lack of research on your part (Perth a dry heat SMNW!!)  lead your migration being unsuccessful and you heading back bitter and twisted..............fair play to you if your man enough to admit i

On the contrary.  We headed home rather pleased in the end.  We got out of that place before it all went bang...several years ago.   UK is the better place to be, more jobs, more money and so much variety to the life we have. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Home and Happy said:

On the contrary.  We headed home rather pleased in the end.  We got out of that place before it all went bang...several years ago.   UK is the better place to be, more jobs, more money and so much variety to the life we have. 

We believe you.

On 30/03/2018 at 05:01, Home and Happy said:

What made you go to Perth in the first instance and what line of Work were you in ?

I have been here in oz now for coming up 8 years myself and wife have been able to earn far more than in uk so genuinely interested 

we live in Hunter valley on a golf course so could only of ever dreamed of the life style we have now back in uk 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

What made you go to Perth in the first instance and what line of Work were you in ?

I have been here in oz now for coming up 8 years myself and wife have been able to earn far more than in uk so genuinely interested 

we live in Hunter valley on a golf course so could only of ever dreamed of the life style we have now back in uk 

He was probably one of the legion of Poms who went to Perth during the so called mining boom and one of the hordes of people who returned when it all went bust.  The whole mining boom thing didn't affect our lives at all in Sydney.  We used to see bits on the TV showing lavish lifestyles of some people during the 'boom'.  There was none of that going on in NSW as far as I know.   He probably took his cash back to the UK.  Good luck to him.  Can't quite understand why he's forever whinging about the place though.  Fair enough he didn't like Perth but there comes a point when nobody really wants to listen to him droning on about it.

33 minutes ago, Toots said:

He was probably one of the legion of Poms who went to Perth during the so called mining boom and one of the hordes of people who returned when it all went bust. ... Can't quite understand why he's forever whinging about the place though.  Fair enough he didn't like Perth but there comes a point when nobody really wants to listen to him droning on about it.

I don't think so, because I'm sure he said they lived there for 20 or 30 years.  I also wonder why he's even on these forums.  

I can fully understand people wanting to stay on the forums after they've migrated/returned, because (a) they've made friends or (b) they want to help others considering the same move. Home-and-Happy is doing neither - surely he realises potential migrants are going to dismiss his "Australia is sh##" posts as over the top?  If he wrote posts which were more specific about exactly what the problems were, then people would take him more seriously and he might actually help someone think twice about the downsides of migratoin.  At the moment, all he achieves is to sound bitter and twisted.  

33 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I don't think so, because I'm sure he said they lived there for 20 or 30 years.  I also wonder why he's even on these forums.  

I can fully understand people wanting to stay on the forums after they've migrated/returned, because (a) they've made friends or (b) they want to help others considering the same move. Home-and-Happy is doing neither - surely he realises potential migrants are going to dismiss his "Australia is sh##" posts as over the top?  If he wrote posts which were more specific about exactly what the problems were, then people would take him more seriously and he might actually help someone think twice about the downsides of migratoin.  At the moment, all he achieves is to sound bitter and twisted.  

Oh right - I didn't know that.  

Zack and him/her would get on like a house on fire.  What a waste of all those years though.  :/

• Haha 1

I often wonder when posters who knock Australia say they miss "culture " what they actually miss? Do they now go regularly to the theatre, art galleries, concerts?  because I have news for them we have them here and they are well attended.