Mechanic to Newcastle

Lamby1980

Hi all, 

looking to make the move over to the Newcastle area early 2019, qualified light and heavy vehicle mechanic with over 20 years experience. Ideally want to have a job lined up before we move over, any contacts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance ?

Everyone would prefer to have a job lined up before emigrating, but in practice it's a very hard thing to achieve.

Think about it:  applying for a visa takes a long time.  How many employers will be prepared to offer you a job, then wait up to a year for you to arrive? 

Most people have to take a leap of faith and just go without a job.   If you're worried about living costs while he's job hunting (and it's sensible to worry, actually), then he might want to come over on his own, and you wait in the UK until he's sure he's got a job.    

It's a difficult decision, because many people prefer to migrate all together so the family can support each other, but if money's tight it's not a bad idea.  Unemployment is about the same in Australia as in the UK.  Ask yourself, if someone moved to your part of the world right now, how long would he be job-hunting before he found a job?  It wouldn't be that different.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

totally understand the process, visa application is almost complete but as we aren't planning on making the move over until early next year I was just testing the water so to speak, maybe if anyone on here knew of any recruitment agencies locally or any larger employers that are useful to know of. Money isn't an issue so more than willing to start the job hunting once we arrive but if I had a bit of a head start with regards to contacts that would be a huge help. Looking into the local job market things look really promising so I'm not too concerned about my prospects.

thanks

Edited by Lamby1980

Hi Lamby

Lots of the main dealers seem to like taking on migrants although sometimes the wage rates can be less than smaller private companys. If you require sponsorship i would try phoning the main dealers, if you are getting a skilled visa on your own rights i would call smaller outlets. The white pages on line will give you a list of companys in the area your looking at but don't to be disheartened if you dot get much of a response as it is preferred your here to meet an employer but heh you only need one guy to say Yes.. By phoning it makes it harder for them to ignore you,lol, its too easy to hit delete on an email.

Good luck

Cal x

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Cal, we are coming over on a state sponsored visa. We have done lots of research into jobs etc and it looks really promising, my wife is a fully qualified accountant and there seems to be plenty opportunities for her out in the Newcastle area. for myself because of the experience I have in regards to being able to work on anything from motorbikes/cars up to Heavy goods vehicles and plant equipment it opens up a lot of scope for me.

Really can't wait to get over and get cracking now.

thanks again

David

• Like 1

Lots of luck with the move and job hunting. You tend to find those that can walk the walk not just talk the talk do ok with mechanic jobs, dont be too concerned if your offered casual work as this seems quite normal but more often than not changes into permenant work once they know you are good at your job.

Cal x