Nursing registration with AHPRA

Has anyone tried registering their nursing direct with AHPRA from the UK when not degree level trained.

Im an RGN but at diploma of higher education level with 16 yrs experience.

Ive been told you can apply direct with a CV and other paperwork that justifies your as qualified as their degree trained nurses.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, new to the site but keen to start process without delaying things by the route we take to get visas xxx

Please listen to everyone’s advise here. AHPRA won’t tell you over the phone that you won’t get registration with a diploma, because the receptionist isn't qualified to give that type of advice. They also they want you to apply and pay the huge assessment/registration fee. They can’t say yes or no until you send in your application.

You have to prove that you meet all 8 of the criterion. Criterion number 4 clearly states

“Your overseas qualification is equivalent to an Australian bachelor degree (registered nurse) as a minimum”.

This means you have to have the same courses covered and the same number of hours in each course as they have in their Australian degree.

At best you might be eligible to take their bridging course which is not cheep or you may get registration with conditions (if so no one will hire you with conditions).

The best advise I could give is to apply to New Zealand first or top up to a degree.

Edited by Jenki75
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 05/03/2018 at 00:41, Jenki75 said:

Please listen to everyone’s advise here. AHPRA won’t tell you over the phone that you won’t get registration with a diploma, because the receptionist isn't qualified to give that type of advice. They also they want you to apply and pay the huge assessment/registration fee. They can’t say yes or no until you send in your application.

You have to prove that you meet all 8 of the criterion. Criterion number 4 clearly states

“Your overseas qualification is equivalent to an Australian bachelor degree (registered nurse) as a minimum”.

This means you have to have the same courses covered and the same number of hours in each course as they have in their Australian degree.

At best you might be eligible to take their bridging course which is not cheep or you may get registration with conditions (if so no one will hire you with conditions).

The best advise I could give is to apply to New Zealand first or top up to a degree.

That's great advice, thanx so much xx

what happens once in NZ? What are the requirements/time restraints to then get to Oz xxx

5 hours ago, AussieWannabe said:

what happens once in NZ? What are the requirements/time restraints to then get to Oz xxx

Hi, sorry I cannot post the link but this thread “ Registering nurse diploma with New Zealand” has some info and a link in @ali post within that thread that might help.  Type in the search box at the top of the page.

Just as an aside, have you looked at job adverts recently to see what is available for you here? There are fewer  opportunities now for nurses than in years gone by as Australia produces more of its own graduates. Some areas obviously have higher vacancies, aged care for example, but there is a reason for that.

Good luck! ?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AussieWannabe said:

If you are already registered in NZ you can then apply for a modified skills assessment.  I think that some people are registering in NZ then applying for their skill assessment and registration in Aus.  

I don't know the requirements for registering in NZ.   You will when applying for the modified skills assessment also have to have verification of your UK assessment sent to ANMAC  https://www.anmac.org.au/skilled-migration-services/modified-skills-assessment

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, all so frustrating. Would be easier doin my top up to degree but I'm on maternity leave at mo and then won't have enough time to apply due to reduced age for visa applicants.

feeling bit stuck at the moment ?

Have been unable to proceed with any application previously as exhusband was refusing my son to go but all finally sorted after 10 long years xx

2 hours ago, ali said:

If you are already registered in NZ you can then apply for a modified skills assessment.  I think that some people are registering in NZ then applying for their skill assessment and registration in Aus.  

I don't know the requirements for registering in NZ.   You will when applying for the modified skills assessment also have to have verification of your UK assessment sent to ANMAC  https://www.anmac.org.au/skilled-migration-services/modified-skills-assessment

Thanks @ali knew you’d help! ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, AussieWannabe said:

What do u mean?

so sorry, this is all a minefield to me ? Xxx

If you are a couple, it may be that your partner is the one applying for the visa, in which case you would not have to bother with a skills assessment and only have to apply for registration.

If you are applying for the visa on your skills, you will need to have a skills assessment and apply for registration.

• Thanks 1