Shipping Costs

movingforthedream

Happy Friday everyone!

We have started trying to get organised for our move to Scotland and have been getting quotes for shipping. Our current quote is $8,000 for 18m3.

If anyone doesn't mind sharing, I was interested to find out what sort of costs people have incurred for sole use of a 20ft shipping container and what was included in that cost? Packing, door to door, materials etc?

We currently have a 4 bedroom house and are weighing up if we are worth taking as much as we can or not.

Thanks for your help in advance [emoji4]

We shipped a full 20ft container from Sydney to Grangemouth (and then delivery to Dollar) in September, I think it was just under $8000, so that sounds about right.  That included all packing/packing materials, uplift, the customs paperwork/clearance and delivery and removal of packaging.  We had to pay a bit extra at this end because the shipping container truck couldn't fit our narrow access lane, so it had to be offloaded into a smaller truck first.

I'd missed the square meters in your post.  That was with Chess.  I'd already packed some of our things as they were in a storage unit (decluttered to sell the house), but they packed/wrapped everything else.

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0443.JPG

I haven't had a quote from them yet, but have sent a request for them to come out and do a home inspection. Do you mind me asking how you went about the move timeline wise? That's the next thing we have to figure. We have to sell our house to have the funds to apply for my husband's spouse visa, so I'm thinking we will have to sell, pack up, move into a rental, apply for the visa, wait for approval then get our stuff shipped. How long did your stuff take to arrive in Scotland?

We made the decision in the January, spent about six months finishing renovations, decluttering and researching where to live (we aren't from Scotland, but OH was offered a good job here which had an open ended start date so we could take our time).  The house went on the market in July, with an auction date for three weeks later (19th August), it sold at auction with a two month settlement, but we flew out to Edinburgh on the 5th September.  We had the shipping quotes about six weeks before we flew, booked them about two weeks before.  Our cats had their rabies jabs about three months before, I think and then we provisionally booked their transport, although it wasn't confirmed until seven days before (I don't know if you have pets).  The shippers came on Thursday to pack, Friday to uplift into the container, we spent the weekend in a very empty house, and flew out on the Monday.

I think that as you will need to have proof of funds for your husband's visa, you will need to sell and then rent something while your husband's visa comes through, as you say.  That will make it a bit less stressful though, as there were no guarantees our house would sell at auction (we booked OH on a flexible ticket, so he could change his flight if necessary, with just the kids and I to fly if it didn't sell).

Our container took about 12 weeks, with a further week for delivery.

Good luck with it all.  We are currently in the middle of a blizzard, and haven't been able to get out for three days, but I can honestly say it is the best move we've ever made!  We're all so much happier here.

• Like 2

Thanks, feeling so nervous at the enormity of it all! We're coming over in May for a 6 week holiday to check out where we actually want to live and hopefully get answers to a lot of our questions and once we get back in June, it'll just be a case of deciding when we actually want to go [emoji16] so reassuring to hear that you have no regrets, that's worrying me so much!

It's bound to make you feel like that.  I did right up until and after we moved.  I'm sure we've done the right thing now, but I spent plenty of my time second guessing!  The holiday should help put your mind at rest.  We came over here on holiday a few months before we decided to move back, and it confirmed to me that I wanted to move back.  Funnily enough, we stopped for a picnic just a few miles from where we're now living, whilst on a week-long jaunt around Scotland (between visiting family in Birmingham and Kent).  At the time, moving to Scotland wasn't even an option.  It just so happened that OH was offered a super job not far from here, and we decided to give it a go!

I've just had a look back on Facebook, and the shipping container actually only took nine weeks, door to door.  That was from Sydney to the central belt of Scotland

When we made the move we had a 20ft container dropped on the drive and we packed it ourselves over a period of about 2 weeks, it was actually quite therapeutic lol. It saved us about $3000. We slso did the customs clearance this end which was very easy and unpacked as well. If you want door to door please ignore this post :)

• 1 month later...
On 05/03/2018 at 10:30, bristolman said:

When we made the move we had a 20ft container dropped on the drive and we packed it ourselves over a period of about 2 weeks, it was actually quite therapeutic lol. It saved us about $3000. We slso did the customs clearance this end which was very easy and unpacked as well. If you want door to door please ignore this post :)

Interesting what company did you use for this?