Family friendly suburbs Sydney and/or Brisbane ?

Amyling

Hello there

Can anyone recommend any specific areas of Sydney or Brisbane that are well renowned for being nice family areas? Also close to beach if possible. I am looking at being able to spend around 400,000-430,000 AUD on a property and it would just be for me, my son and our dog. Would be great if there are good schools in the area

Thanks for your help

Amy

Ah, just replied to your question on another thread.  $400,000 in Sydney won't even buy you a one-bedroom flat.   If you can find something liveable for that price, it will be out in the farthest suburbs, two hours from the beach.

I'd suggest looking at Newcastle instead if you want to stay in NSW.   You might even consider Port Macquarie - it's becoming a real retirement haven, bustling with people retiring from Sydney, so there's likely to be a demand for treatment.

Look on domain.com.au and realestate.com.au to get an idea of prices.

Edited by Marisawright

In Brisbane, I don't think you'll find a house in a coastal suburb for that price. Maybe an apartment. There are no real beaches here by the way; people drive to the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast for that. 

Check out the following suburbs on realestate.com.au or Domain to get an idea of prices: Wynnum, Wellington Point, Cleveland on the southside and Brighton, Sandgate, Redcliffe on the northside.

• 1 month later...

I agree with Goofy in that Brisbane doesnt really have beaches as such,so you would need to look well out of the city suburbs for that. Redlands, Redcliffe and the Bayside areas would be worth a look and something a tad further would be the likes of Bribie Island. Realestate.com should give you a guide to rental and purchase costs in each area. Lots of areas are developing at the minute and some of the new builds (house and land packages) are great value and under or around your budget.

Where would you be working? As this may play a part in where to look.

Cal x