register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Parley

South Africa vs Australia 2018 - Test Cricket

9 minutes ago, Parley said:

Am I right that you don't like Australia very much, based on your threads and posts ?

I’ve commented on Warner, he’s a bully but I’m sure he’s not representative of all Aussies?

I’ve slagged off Melbourne driving standards, justifiably.

i’ve commented on the differences I’ve observed between UK and Aus media when they report race/colour.

Oh, and the Aussie facination with putting garnish on breakfast.

How do you get to me not liking Australia very much from that?

13 minutes ago, Parley said:

I think nowadays you are allowed to bowl 1 bouncer per over. That is the difference.

A bouncer is a legitimate delivery but under Bodyline they were bowling them every ball

Actually ’bodyline’ is a colloquialism for what Jardine termed ‘leg theory’.  The main issue was not around the use of ‘bouncers’ but general short pitched bowling directed at the batsman’s body coupled with having fielders placed behind square on the leg side.

The law change following this series was not concerned with bouncers so much as not permitting more than 2 fielders to stand behind square on the leg side and thereby making leg theory (or bodyline bowling) less effective.

• Like 2

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

32 minutes ago, unzippy said:

I’ve commented on Warner, he’s a bully but I’m sure he’s not representative of all Aussies?

I’ve slagged off Melbourne driving standards, justifiably.

i’ve commented on the differences I’ve observed between UK and Aus media when they report race/colour.

Oh, and the Aussie facination with putting garnish on breakfast.

How do you get to me not liking Australia very much from that?

Well a positive thread about what you love about Australia would be a good start.

• Haha 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

Sushi and the fresh fruit/veg, outstandingly good and cheap - compared to the UK.

Youth in retail and their customer service skills - excellent stuff.  I keep thinking that I'd hire them in a flash if they wanted to start an IT career:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, unzippy said:

Sushi and the fresh fruit/veg, outstandingly good and cheap - compared to the UK.

Youth in retail and their customer service skills - excellent stuff.  I keep thinking that I'd hire them in a flash if they wanted to start an IT career:D

Incoming...

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Those South Africans let me down again. I was hoping they would do what England failed to do. I guess South Africa is just not the team they used to be when England used to poach their best players!?

I was talking to a guy on Sunday night about the ball that felled Phil Hughes. The same bowler felled another batsman at the weekend. This guy told me that although he wasn't trying to deliberately hurt Phil Hughes. He knew that Hughes could not hook so he was aiming the ball at his head.

I was getting angry during the Ashes because I could not see the difference in intent between Bodyline and "Chin Music" if they are both aimed at the head of batsmen particularly non-batsmen at the tail of the innings. I recall I think Jake Ball getting a fast ball up around his head which he could barely fend off. Steve Smith was glorying in it too, promising more and more of the same. But when the balance shifts and England find some really quick bowlers the Aussies will be whingeing along the lines of "two teams out there and only one playing cricket" again.

Personally, I can't wait until England find another Douglas Jardine to captain the team and another Larwood,  or Trueman or Snow.* (* Funny but that guy I was talking to was too young to remember John Snow and found it funny that there was a cricketer with the same name as the guy in GOT.)

bodyline was not balls aimed at the head , it was balls bowled at leg stump or down the leg side

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

did an aussie spit the dummy?

• Haha 1

On 06/03/2018 at 13:21, unzippy said:

Do you seriously believe Kock was unprovoked?:D 

I can't believe you are defending Warner, Mr Big mouth when it is all going well, Mr Sledge himself.  But can't take it when someone gives it back.  A pure bully. 

As for Lyon:rolleyes:

Stay classy 'Straya.

I note the officials docked 75% of Warner's match fee and dished out 3 demerit points compared to 25% and 1 demerit point for de Kock.

They must have thought Warner's behaviour was 3 times as bad :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, unzippy said:

I note the officials docked 75% of Warner's match fee and dished out 3 demerit points compared to 25% and 1 demerit point for de Kock.

They must have thought Warner's behaviour was 3 times as bad :D

Not the best behaviour .. i'm just wondering who 'leaked' the footage .. shame that the focus on the cricket was lost.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

On 01/03/2018 at 20:28, Gbye grey sky said:

Unfortunately no Foxtel so no way of watching it.

I have the Cricket Australia app on my phone which I think is free to listen to commentary but you pay to watch the game. I just worked out that I'm paying $93 a month for Foxtel, $80 a month for Optus/Fetch TV and $59 a month for my phone with Optus including EPL.

On 06/03/2018 at 19:28, Gbye grey sky said:

Actually ’bodyline’ is a colloquialism for what Jardine termed ‘leg theory’.  The main issue was not around the use of ‘bouncers’ but general short pitched bowling directed at the batsman’s body coupled with having fielders placed behind square on the leg side.

The law change following this series was not concerned with bouncers so much as not permitting more than 2 fielders to stand behind square on the leg side and thereby making leg theory (or bodyline bowling) less effective.

But "Chin Music" means fast bouncers deliberately aimed at the "batsmens'" (i.e. tail enders) heads. I can't see any difference in intent behind Bodyline or Chin Music. Steve Smith was gloating about using it during the Ashes but what would happen if there is another Phil Hughes type incident? Two or three batsmen did get nasty balls to the head during the Ashes. One of my friends told me the bowler to Phil Hughes was exploiting a perceived weakness in his (Hughes) ability to play hook shots.

On 01/03/2018 at 20:28, Gbye grey sky said:

Unfortunately no Foxtel so no way of watching it.

I have the Cricket Australia app on my phone which I think is free to listen to commentary but you pay to watch the game. I just worked out that I'm paying $93 a month for Foxtel, $80 a month for Optus/Fetch TV and $59 a month for my phone with Optus including EPL.

One of two bouncers per over instead of every single ball? Sounds like cricket's form of Russian Roulette.

26 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

But "Chin Music" means fast bouncers deliberately aimed at the "batsmens'" (i.e. tail enders) heads. I can't see any difference in intent behind Bodyline or Chin Music. Steve Smith was gloating about using it during the Ashes but what would happen if there is another Phil Hughes type incident? Two or three batsmen did get nasty balls to the head during the Ashes. One of my friends told me the bowler to Phil Hughes was exploiting a perceived weakness in his (Hughes) ability to play hook shots.

Leg theory though was largely a negative tactic because the field placings made it almost impossible to score runs too.  Remember that batsmen had no helmets in those days either.  Smith is using it as an attacking ploy to get wickets.  The umpires do have discretion about the use of intimidatory bowling - particularly in regards to tailend batsmen - but seem reluctant to apply that discretion.

Fast short-pitched bowling is an essential weapon of the quick bowlers and you cannot eliminate all risk of injury from any sport.

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

South Africa totally dominated Australia, warner should get a long ban, what a pathetic man with children watching this sport.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

22 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

South Africa totally dominated Australia, warner should get a long ban, what a pathetic man with children watching this sport.

Oh hello where you been hiding?

6 minutes ago, Sunset said:

Oh hello where you been hiding?

long ban ?

• Haha 1

That guy of African appearance has got a long ban from the next 2 tests.

6 minutes ago, Parley said:

long ban ?

Hes gone again must e on one of those very big carousels ;)

6 minutes ago, Parley said:

That guy of African appearance has got a long ban from the next 2 tests.

who?

I think his name is Rabada.

4 minutes ago, Parley said:

I think his name is Rabada.

Oh him cant stand cheats

Image result for Rabada.

49 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

His mideameanor didn't take place in front of children/on the field.  Not my favourite player but he's close to a ban if he does it again.

Rabada is an excellent bowler, but has only himself to blame  for the ban due to cumulative demerits. .. needs to learn from his mistakes.

• Like 1

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Just now, ali said:

His mideameanor didn't take place in front of children/on the field.  Not my favourite player but he's close to a ban if he does it again.

Rabada is an excellent bowler, but has only himself to blame  for the ban due to cumulative demerits. .. needs to learn from his mistakes.

That rabada as been voted best bowler at the minute, not for the next two games he aint why constantly rub shoulders with the opposition on the field in front of umpires the crowd some of them kids and a viewing tv audience probably with even more kids. Just isn't cricket is it.

But they won regardless of the cheating lets see how they do in the next two games without the cheater:P