Moving to Melbourne Alone (from Brisbane)

Goofy2018

Hi,

after living in Brisbane for 7 years I'm starting to get really bored and am contemplating moving to Melbourne. I'm also over the weather (humidity) and would prefer to have 4 seasons.

I'm single and in my early 40s. I'd look for work in or near the CBD, rent a 1BR apartment within a 10 km radius from the CBD (living alone) and get around on public transport only as I don't own a car. 

I like museums, cultural events, bike riding, walking, gym, libraries, markets, going out to brunch/lunch/dinner/drinks, concerts etc. 

Most other threads talk about expensive housing (to buy), traffic, schools etc. None of these things affect my life, so I was hoping someone has some thoughts or advice for single people?

Can anyone suggest suitable suburbs to live in? Is it difficult to make friends? Any other thoughts/advice?

11 minutes ago, calNgary said:

In your shoes i would be grabbing one of these cheap flights when on offer and spending a week there checking out areas and the job front, that way you can try commutes and check out suburbs in person, it can also be easier to secure work when there in the flesh.

Cal x

Thanks Cal. I was planning on contacting a few recruitment agencies, then flying out to meet with a few of them and go from there. I have been to Melbourne lots of times and found it really easy to get around on public transport. As long as I'm near a train station or tram stop I'll be fine.

• Like 1

We used to live near Essendon. Its reasonable rent and has great bars and restaurants. Beautiful river walk, close to the city and has a tram and trains. It has a DFO, and a La Manna supermarket (AMAZING) nearby in Airport West( 1 suburb up). We used to pay about $30 for a taxi home from either the city or the hot inner city suburbs like Brunswick, so that's also affordable.

28 minutes ago, tgirlsmammy said:

We used to live near Essendon. Its reasonable rent and has great bars and restaurants. Beautiful river walk, close to the city and has a tram and trains. It has a DFO, and a La Manna supermarket (AMAZING) nearby in Airport West( 1 suburb up). We used to pay about $30 for a taxi home from either the city or the hot inner city suburbs like Brunswick, so that's also affordable.

Hmm...maybe I need to adjust my criteria. I've been to Essendon but it feels like a long way from the city and it feels more like a place for families. Ideally I'd want to be able to go home after work and then potentially back to the city if something is on. 

I've had another look on the map...places like Coburg, North Melbourne, Brunswick, Fitzroy, Collingwood, Abbotsford, St Kilda, Elwood, Richmond, East Melbourne, Carlton, Windsor, South Yarra, Prahran, South Melbourne, Port Melbourne etc. seem to be within a quick tram or train ride from the city. I haven't been to all of those places yet so I'm not sure which ones would be ok to live (and safe).

I want to avoid feeling stuck alone in the suburbs surrounded by families and couples.

Ok so I was thinking a bit further out... From your list I would know to avoid Collingwood/Abbotsford, potentially avoid at Kilda too as it can be rough at night. Fitzroy and Brunswick are great for nightlife and chilling out during the day. Richmond is also nice (great Asian shops and restaurants) plus has IKEA. the only other one I know is Port Melbourne and its quiet enough there... Seems mainly residential and not as many eateries/ships etc as the others. For suggestions on meeting ppl, try a pottery course at Northcote pottery in Brunswick- They are fun, you really learn and you will meet new ppl in a good location. I found in Melbourne you meet new people everywhere, people are generally Very friendly, casual and easygoing and you wouldnt be long getting an invite out I'm sure! (Also I think wine and painting is a thing, try googling it?)

10 minutes ago, tgirlsmammy said:

Ok so I was thinking a bit further out... From your list I would know to avoid Collingwood/Abbotsford, potentially avoid at Kilda too as it can be rough at night. Fitzroy and Brunswick are great for nightlife and chilling out during the day. Richmond is also nice (great Asian shops and restaurants) plus has IKEA. the only other one I know is Port Melbourne and its quiet enough there... Seems mainly residential and not as many eateries/ships etc as the others. For suggestions on meeting ppl, try a pottery course at Northcote pottery in Brunswick- They are fun, you really learn and you will meet new ppl in a good location. I found in Melbourne you meet new people everywhere, people are generally Very friendly, casual and easygoing and you wouldnt be long getting an invite out I'm sure! (Also I think wine and painting is a thing, try googling it?)

Thank you...nice to have a bit of an idea on what to avoid.

The pottery place sounds great; I'll check it out if and when I decide to move.

1 hour ago, tgirlsmammy said:

Ok so I was thinking a bit further out... From your list I would know to avoid Collingwood/Abbotsford, potentially avoid at Kilda too as it can be rough at night. Fitzroy and Brunswick are great for nightlife and chilling out during the day. Richmond is also nice (great Asian shops and restaurants)

Why do you recommend avoiding Collingwood/Abbotsford?   I know Collingwood used to be a rough area but it's a totally different vibe now, very hipster, lots of cafes, just as cool as Fitzroy or  Brunswick East (not West).  Abbotsford has some gorgeous apartments near the river so you get the best of both worlds, tranquility but also good social life.

I think you'll find Coburg feels too far out.  Coburg is becoming trendy but it's mainly confined to the new development at Pentridge, the rest of Coburg is family territory still.

I agree, I'd avoid St Kilda.   Richmond is a bit bohemian but there have been a lot of drug problems in the news there recently. 

If you want to be near the sea, then Port Melbourne, Albert Park.  Yarraville is very hot right now, but perhaps it's too far out.  If you don't mind living in a high-rise, then you'll find plenty of apartments in Docklands and you'll be right in the centre of the action.  

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Why do you recommend avoiding Collingwood/Abbotsford?   I know Collingwood used to be a rough area but it's a totally different vibe now, very hipster, lots of cafes, just as cool as Fitzroy or  Brunswick East (not West).  Abbotsford has some gorgeous apartments near the river so you get the best of both worlds, tranquility but also good social life.

I think you'll find Coburg feels too far out.  Coburg is becoming trendy but it's mainly confined to the new development at Pentridge, the rest of Coburg is family territory still.

I agree, I'd avoid St Kilda.   Richmond is a bit bohemian but there have been a lot of drug problems in the news there recently. 

If you want to be near the sea, then Port Melbourne, Albert Park.  Yarraville is very hot right now, but perhaps it's too far out.  If you don't mind living in a high-rise, then you'll find plenty of apartments in Docklands and you'll be right in the centre of the action.  

Thank you ... I have noticed rents in Abbotsford are ok and I don't mind the idea of a highrise (feels safer). 

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/02/2018 at 08:44, Marisawright said:

Why do you recommend avoiding Collingwood/Abbotsford? I know Collingwood used to be a rough area but it's a totally different vibe now, very hipster, lots of cafes, just as cool as Fitzroy or Brunswick East (not West). Abbotsford has some gorgeous apartments near the river so you get the best of both worlds, tranquility but also good social life.

After reading posts and speaking with a couple of people there seem to be a lot of conflicting thoughts on whether these suburbs are safe or not. A couple of people told me that there is a lot of crime in Melbourne in general, that there are lots of issues with several gangs and drugs and that it is not very safe for a woman to wander around the streets or catch public transport alone at night.

I'm not sure whether they were exaggerating but how bad is it really?

32 minutes ago, Goofy2018 said:

After reading posts and speaking with a couple of people there seem to be a lot of conflicting thoughts on whether these suburbs are safe or not. A couple of people told me that there is a lot of crime in Melbourne in general, that there are lots of issues with several gangs and drugs and that it is not very safe for a woman to wander around the streets or catch public transport alone at night.

I'm not sure whether they were exaggerating but how bad is it really?

There's a lot of publicity right now about African gangs in Melbourne.  Most of the trouble is in the outer suburbs to the north.  

I'm sure you're aware that things like burglaries and home invasions can happen in any city, and in fact wealthy suburbs can be a bigger target sometimes (because there's more to nick).   On a normal news day, they go unreported because of that - but with all this talk of the African gangs, the newspapers are reporting every single incident, so it looks worse than it is.

Personally, I'd say no major city is safe for a woman to wander around the streets late at night!  The good thing with Melbourne is that trams and buses run very late, and some all night - and I feel they're pretty safe.  I wouldn't be so keen on the train, because the stations are sometimes away from the main road.  

https://www.bobinoz.com/blog/21582/crime-statistics-in-australia-finding-safe-suburbs/

You also have to remember that suburbs change over time.  Melbourne house prices have shot up in recent years and that is pushing people out of the centre, into the next ring of suburbs.  Because of that, they're rapidly being gentrified.  Someone who lived in Melbourne 10 or 15 years ago would think of Collingwood as being really rough, but they would be surprised what it's like now.

Edited by Marisawright

5 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I'm sure you're aware that things like burglaries and home invasions can happen in any city, and in fact wealthy suburbs can be a bigger target sometimes (because there's more to nick).   On a normal news day, they go unreported because of that - but with all this talk of the African gangs, the newspapers are reporting every single incident, so it looks worse than it is.

Yes I agree that no city is ever 100% safe. I use common sense no matter where I live or travel, but I spend a lot of time alone and would be walking around and using public transport after dark on my own.

I never know what to believe in the media, everything seems to be published just to scare people. I've also read the CBD is very unsafe, but I would find it hard to believe it's worse than any other big city. 

Here in Brisbane I feel quite safe and comfortable walking around the city or the area where I live at night. However, I always remain in well-lit areas and if I an unsure I'll use an uber or taxi.

10 minutes ago, Goofy2018 said:

Yes I agree that no city is ever 100% safe. I use common sense no matter where I live or travel, but I spend a lot of time alone and would be walking around and using public transport after dark on my own.

I never know what to believe in the media, everything seems to be published just to scare people. I've also read the CBD is very unsafe, but I would find it hard to believe it's worse than any other big city. 

Here in Brisbane I feel quite safe and comfortable walking around the city or the area where I live at night. However, I always remain in well-lit areas and if I an unsure I'll use an uber or taxi.

Personally, I feel much safer walking around Melbourne CBD at night than I did in Sydney - but I can't speak for Brisbane.  I also feel very comfortable using Melbourne trams at night, because the tram stops are all on main roads so you're not having to walk down side streets to get to stations, or waiting on a platform.  Melbourne people seem to be real night owls, too, so there's always people around.

I agree, the newspapers love to scare people.  They know sensationalist stuff sells papers.

• 2 months later...

Have a look at Kensington. I used to walk to work in the CBD from there (40 mins, approx 4km) and we had a great 2 bed apartment overlooking JJ Holland Park. We used to walk home at 3am from Festival Hall along Moonee Ponds Creek or just home from the CBD cos we felt like it and never had an issue. There are some fab little cafes there and the best Thai restaurant (Thai By Night). Kensington has two train stations which will get you into the city in 6 minutes - close enough for you? I happily walked the dog at 10 o'clock at night and the only things that ever freaked me out were the fruit bats crash landing in the trees. There's a swimming pool and gym run by the YMCA, fab bike trail running right up the river and close to Flemington Showgrounds for festivals/conventions/expos. Pre-babies, hubby and I loved it there.

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/03/2018 at 21:42, Marisawright said:

Personally, I feel much safer walking around Melbourne CBD at night than I did in Sydney - but I can't speak for Brisbane.  I also feel very comfortable using Melbourne trams at night, because the tram stops are all on main roads so you're not having to walk down side streets to get to stations, or waiting on a platform.  Melbourne people seem to be real night owls, too, so there's always people around.

I agree, the newspapers love to scare people.  They know sensationalist stuff sells papers.

This - Melbourne is safe.  The African gang thing is sensationalist nonsense designed to get the racists foaming at the mouth.  
Do your normal "common sense in a city" thing and you will be fine?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...