Moving to oz on a student visa

Lparker15

6 hours ago, Lparker15 said:

If you do the course with TAFE in Sydney they subsidise the school fees to 5000aud per year, if you did the same course in QLD you would be paying 12,000aud. TAFE also have a really good deal with Medibank so offer cheaper medical insurance

Thanks for clarifying it - it wasn't that I doubted you, just might be handy for other posters looking to follow the same route

• Like 1

I'm really curious why you want to take this path when you could stay in the UK, complete your degree while your husband works full-time, and save like mad.  Then when you're qualified, apply for PR if the occupation is still on the list.  No struggling to survive on a pittance, no paying expensive school fees, no loss of income, no risk.  

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I'm really curious why you want to take this path when you could stay in the UK, complete your degree while your husband works full-time, and save like mad.  Then when you're qualified, apply for PR if the occupation is still on the list.  No struggling to survive on a pittance, no paying expensive school fees, no loss of income, no risk.  

Totally agree, makes no sense to me at all.  If it's still on the list then they will still get there, if it's not then they will be coming back anyway. 

7 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Totally agree, makes no sense to me at all.  If it's still on the list then they will still get there, if it's not then they will be coming back anyway. 

There are a few different reasons why but the main one being if I study in oz I will get extra points for the visa and as I will be nearly 40 once qualified I could do with the points, also to qualify here as a Early Years Teacher who have to do the PGCE which I’ve heard can be very difficult to get onto and can take a couple of years attempt to get a place, also my daughter is 6 now and I would like to go over while she’s still young, also the landlord is selling our property so seems like it’s a good time to go it’s not like we’re having to sell a house or anything like that. I’ve spoken to various people on different forums and there’s a lot of people who have done the student route with kids and got by, so I’m thinking, yes it will be a struggle but it also seems possible 

There are a few different reasons why but the main one being if I study in oz I will get extra points for the visa and as I will be nearly 40 once qualified I could do with the points, also to qualify here as a Early Years Teacher who have to do the PGCE which I’ve heard can be very difficult to get onto and can take a couple of years attempt to get a place, also my daughter is 6 now and I would like to go over while she’s still young, also the landlord is selling our property so seems like it’s a good time to go it’s not like we’re having to sell a house or anything like that. I’ve spoken to various people on different forums and there’s a lot of people who have done the student route with kids and got by, so I’m thinking, yes it will be a struggle but it also seems possible 

On the the qualification side of things, an early years PGCE gained in the UK may not necessarily lead to Early Childhood Teacher status in Aus. It partly depends on the age range as ACECQA require a qualification that includes the 0-2 age range. Not sure if any PGCEs do this?

Doing your studies in Aus would mean you don’t have to go down the ‘equivalent’ route, by ensuring you do a course on ACECQAs approved qualifications list. Much simpler and less hassle.

You probably know that already but just wanted to point out there is a pro to your decision. Whether that outweighs the cons is for you to decide [emoji3]

Good luck!

2 minutes ago, Bran said:

On the the qualification side of things, an early years PGCE gained in the UK may not necessarily lead to Early Childhood Teacher status in Aus. It partly depends on the age range as ACECQA require a qualification that includes the 0-2 age range. Not sure if any PGCEs do this?

Doing your studies in Aus would mean you don’t have to go down the ‘equivalent’ route, by ensuring you do a course on ACECQAs approved qualifications list. Much simpler and less hassle.

You probably know that already but just wanted to point out there is a pro to your decision. Whether that outweighs the cons is for you to decide emoji3.png

Good luck!

Yes exactly, I’ve spoken to so many people and there seems no way round the 0-2 years experience as the U.K. PGCE just doesn’t cover it. At least the degree in OZ i will be sure to have the right qualification. Also if Early Years Teacher did come of the list there are other occupations I could get sponsored in with the bachelor degree like Child Centre Manager or Lead Educator (regional of course) 

• 7 months later...
On 27/02/2018 at 17:54, Lparker15 said:

If you do the course with TAFE in Sydney they subsidise the school fees to 5000aud per year, if you did the same course in QLD you would be paying 12,000aud. TAFE also have a really good deal with Medibank so offer cheaper medical insurance

It seems to you have found all relevant information  in above matter it looks like u will find best way because it seems you know opportunity about in early childhood care field so one day will have very good  opportunity . Thank u all it also help me too

On 27/02/2018 at 00:12, Lparker15 said:

Hi, so I was wondering if anyone on here had gone out to oz on a student visa with children. I am aware of the expenses involved and there would be myself, hubby and 6 year old daughter. Wanted to hear people’s experience. I know you can only work 20 hours per week but full time during the holiday periods and I am just wondering if it is possible to survive doing this? I am looking at completing my degree in oz so I would be studying for 2 and a half years and could then apply for pr 

my cousin did this as a student nurse, luckily they had no children at that time. it is achievable but you have to be really really tight with your budget. as your fees are not that high it could be possible.

• 2 months later...
On 26/02/2018 at 23:40, Lparker15 said:

I am quite aware of how long i need to study for to complete my degree, the cost of school and medical fees, the type of work we can get for part time hours. I’ve done my research. I was more looking for people’s personal experience who may have done it and been there as a student. 

Thanks for the info Jenki75 really helpful. For the degree I’m doing the school fee will be 5000aud per year so not too bad. Did you work part time too? If so how did you find it fitting in with your study and children? 

Sorry, just realized I never replied to this question. I did not work, but I did think about it at one point. Studying with 3 children was easier than I thought. My kids would go to bed at 730 and I would study until midnight Sunday night to Friday night. I never did school work during the day on the weekend as we spent time together instead. I only took 4 courses per semester though and I would have practicum during some terms. All in all I found it very doable, you just need good time management.

It sounds like you've done a fair bit of research and been given some advice on this forum. You'll be going into this with eyes open, it may be a rocky ride but then again, you might just be fine!  I would just say try to live as frugally as you can as a family, do massive 'shop around' research, stick to a firm budget and don't expect a totally smooth easy journey. You all will of course have new experiences and adventures - good luck!