189 visa- Cabinetmaker qualification experience

tgirlsmammy

Hi all, brand new to this forum. My partner is a cabinet/furniture maker. I am wondering if he can use the 2 years in uni studying furniture design as part of his work experience? He would have 3.5 yrs experience overseas without this. Currently. We would have 70 pts I reckon counting his cert as a trade qualification plus an additional 4.5 yrs (just shy of 5) work experience in Australia.the additional. 2yrs whilst studying would give him the 5 yrs of overseas exp which would get us an additional 5 pts. Also do we need the extra pts in your opinion??

Yes, you will both have to have medicals and police checks.

Also, check the requirements for the skills assessment as there are a number of pitfalls in them that can catch people out. For example, many trades in the UK are NVQ2 trained, but that isn't sufficient for a skills assessment in most cases as they demand NVQ3 as a minimum.

He has a certificate QQI LV 6 from an Irish university not an apprenticeship(in furniture design and manufacture), but also has 7-8 yrs of experience including 4.5 in Melbourne. We were sponsored before on 457 but decided to come home to try for a family. Now we have one(!) We would like to come back as we love and miss Melbourne so much! Since we were home he also attained another QQI LV 6 in Revit (CAD) so this is also related to store fit out design etc... We think anyway. I dont think we will be stuck for points but are going to do the skills assessment anyway