Moving to Melbourne from Singapore

Ss to aus

Hello Everyone, 

Would like to request for your valuable suggestion, i have given opportunity to work in Melbourne fulltime with Salary of $160 Annually with 9.5 Super.

does this salary is enough for two adult and two children age 13 & 10, 

I have calculated roughly monthly expenses and taxes as per below not sure how much it is accurate, appreciate if anyone could some light into this,

Monthly Expanses 
S.No. Items Incoming fund Outgoing fund Remark
1 Base Salary           13,333.00    
2 Super annuation (9.5%)              1,266.67    
3 Tax (Monthly)                  4,100.00  
4 House Rent                2,000.00  
5 School Fees (Primrary)                   500.00 Primrary 4
6 School Fees (Secondary)                    500.00 Secondary 1
7 Monthly Grocery                 1,200.00  
8 Utility                    500.00  
9 Petrol                   300.00  
10 Public Transport                   200.00  
11 Clothing                   200.00  
12 Medical Expanses                   400.00 Medicine & private insurance
13 Others (eating out, Phone etc..)                    500.00  

my company will apply for my Working Visa and they said i can only apply for my PR after three year, i am going to be 42 years old in July-18 i understood that if you are above 45 years of age during application of PR it will be challenging to get the PR. 

Well currently i am Singapore PR holding indian passport. 

Not sure whether does it really make sense to move to Melbourne. 

I am moving to Australia due to Less stress on Children education and big houses, as in Singapore the stress of children for education is very high, also the houses are like Shoebox.

Regards,

12 hours ago, Ss to aus said:

Hello Everyone, 

Would like to request for your valuable suggestion, i have given opportunity to work in Melbourne fulltime with Salary of $160 Annually with 9.5 Super.

does this salary is enough for two adult and two children age 13 & 10, 

I have calculated roughly monthly expenses and taxes as per below not sure how much it is accurate, appreciate if anyone could some light into this,

Monthly Expanses 
S.No. Items Incoming fund Outgoing fund Remark
1 Base Salary           13,333.00    
2 Super annuation (9.5%)              1,266.67    
3 Tax (Monthly)                  4,100.00  
4 House Rent                2,000.00  
5 School Fees (Primrary)                   500.00 Primrary 4
6 School Fees (Secondary)                    500.00 Secondary 1
7 Monthly Grocery                 1,200.00  
8 Utility                    500.00  
9 Petrol                   300.00  
10 Public Transport                   200.00  
11 Clothing                   200.00  
12 Medical Expanses                   400.00 Medicine & private insurance
13 Others (eating out, Phone etc..)                    500.00  

my company will apply for my Working Visa and they said i can only apply for my PR after three year, i am going to be 42 years old in July-18 i understood that if you are above 45 years of age during application of PR it will be challenging to get the PR. 

Well currently i am Singapore PR holding indian passport. 

Not sure whether does it really make sense to move to Melbourne. 

I am moving to Australia due to Less stress on Children education and big houses, as in Singapore the stress of children for education is very high, also the houses are like Shoebox.

Regards,

he 9.5% super is paid directly to your super fund. 

I think your salary is pretty good. Life here is expensive though so you will still need to budget but I think you'll be able to have a decent life here.

Your enployer will pay your super (retirement savings) into an Australian approved superfund. 

Temporary residents who leave Australia permanently can claim their super after they have left the country but there are conditions. 

This link will take you to the Australian Taxation Office website for detailed info:

https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/super/in-detail/withdrawing-and-paying-tax/super-information-for-temporary-residents-departing-australia/

• Thanks 1

1) Is your salary monthly? It might actually be $12,307 per 4 weeks.

2) If you get PR you wont be able to access your superannuation till possible age 70 (in most cases for your current age).

3) Depending on a few things tax might be a bit higher.

4) Might need to up this amount for a 3 bedroom house try around $4,000 per 4 weeks.

5) Could be more like $1,000.

6)Could be $1250. http://www.study.vic.gov.au/Shared Documents/en/StandardTuition-FeeRateCard.pdf

7) Depends on individuals but in the ball park.

8) Should be good with that.

9) Really depends on where you rent a house.

10) As above.

11) Personal circumstance item.

12) I think you will find this more.

13) Personal circumstance item.

I have never lived in Melbourne (my sister does) but I would guess that $160,000 per year will be tight while paying international student rate (I assume you will need too, but each state has different rules/policy and I don't know Victoria's. Another thing to confirm is that it is + 9.5% superannuation, if you are paid an award generally the employer has to add the 9.5% but in salary and above award payments often it is included in the total remuneration figure.

3 hours ago, Goofy2018 said:

I think your salary is pretty good. Life here is expensive though so you will still need to budget but I think you'll be able to have a decent life here.

Your enployer will pay your super (retirement savings) into an Australian approved superfund. 

Temporary residents who leave Australia permanently can claim their super after they have left the country but there are conditions. 

This link will take you to the Australian Taxation Office website for detailed info:

https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/super/in-detail/withdrawing-and-paying-tax/super-information-for-temporary-residents-departing-australia/

Thanks for your advice, appreciate 

35 minutes ago, Stung said:

1) Is your salary monthly? It might actually be $12,307 per 4 weeks.

2) If you get PR you wont be able to access your superannuation till possible age 70 (in most cases for your current age).

3) Depending on a few things tax might be a bit higher.

4) Might need to up this amount for a 3 bedroom house try around $4,000 per 4 weeks.

5) Could be more like $1,000.

6)Could be $1250. http://www.study.vic.gov.au/Shared Documents/en/StandardTuition-FeeRateCard.pdf

7) Depends on individuals but in the ball park.

8) Should be good with that.

9) Really depends on where you rent a house.

10) As above.

11) Personal circumstance item.

12) I think you will find this more.

13) Personal circumstance item.

I have never lived in Melbourne (my sister does) but I would guess that $160,000 per year will be tight while paying international student rate (I assume you will need too, but each state has different rules/policy and I don't know Victoria's. Another thing to confirm is that it is + 9.5% superannuation, if you are paid an award generally the employer has to add the 9.5% but in salary and above award payments often it is included in the total remuneration figure.

Thanks for your advice, appreciate 

Hi!

State schools in Victoria are not charging more for temporary/international residents so that should be less (we pay about $600 a year for primary school)

Biggest expense would be your housing , if you need to be in commuting distance to CBD, I would budget between $750 and $1500 per WEEK depending on your preferences.

Overall you should be fine!

Good luck with your decision.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Eva Winterburn said:

Hi!

State schools in Victoria are not charging more for temporary/international residents so that should be less (we pay about $600 a year for primary school)

Biggest expense would be your housing , if you need to be in commuting distance to CBD, I would budget between $750 and $1500 per WEEK depending on your preferences.

Are you on a Partner Visa Eva?

Also what visa will you be having in Australia Original Poster?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Eva Winterburn said:

We have PR but our friends on 457's or partner visas pay the same, I am pretty sure all primary and secondary state schools in Victoria just charge for stationary etc, so in the hundreds per year, not thousands...

Private schools are around $25k per year and upwards...

Thanks Eva,

Seems most visas in Victoria get good access to education at a good price. Just scroll down to the tables.
http://www.education.vic.gov.au/Documents/school/principals/curriculum/osschstudfee.pdf

Actually Private schools can be cheaper as they can waiver any fees (they did for us to $0 for the PMV period) also full fees can be much less than that - I don't recall exactly but one was around $3500 per year the other around $7000 per year, both very good Catholic and Christian schools. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Eva Winterburn said:

Hi!

Thanks for your clarification for schools fees, i have read online that for Temporary/international residents the school fees is depends on their annual pay as well that's why i have included $500 to $600 per kid . 

Well i am looking for location around 45 Minutes to 1 hours by train i do not want to stay near to CBD, that's why i have kept $2000 for Renting. 

thanks for encouraging words

4 hours ago, Stung said:

Thanks Eva,

Seems most visas in Victoria get good access to education at a good price. Just scroll down to the tables.
http://www.education.vic.gov.au/Documents/school/principals/curriculum/osschstudfee.pdf

Actually Private schools can be cheaper as they can waiver any fees (they did for us to $0 for the PMV period) also full fees can be much less than that - I don't recall exactly but one was around $3500 per year the other around $7000 per year, both very good Catholic and Christian schools. 

Thanks for sharing this link, highly appreciated it.