PG DIp in Nursing

Jen3103

I was just wondering if anyone can give me some direction or advice. 

I am am very keen to emigrate to Australia and I keep being told conflicting advice from a variety of people. I have a PG Dip in Mental Health Nursing with 4 years experience now, is this qualification accepted for a skilled visa? I have been told to start the visa application off with the chance of being refused (and lose all the money) which is a big expensive risk. 

Has anyone else been successful emigrating with a PG Dip in Nursing? 

Thanks 

To work as a registered nurse you will need to have a degree in order to register with AHPRA.  I've seen posts that people are registering in New Zealand and then applying for a modified skills assessment from ANAMAC and then registration with AHPRA.

The difficulty I have is I have a degree in psychology and counselling and a POST GRADUATE diploma in mental health nursing but there is no clear statement on this being accepted despite it being a higher qualification than a degree. 

I will look into the NZ route. 

Thank you 

Edited by Jen3103

2 hours ago, Jen3103 said:

The difficulty I have is I have a degree in psychology and counselling and a POST GRADUATE diploma in mental health nursing but there is no clear statement on this being accepted despite it being a higher qualification than a degree. 

I will look into the NZ route. 

Thank you 

Have you been working as a nurse or psychologist?  You will need recency of practice to pass the skills assessment.

I did the 2 year PG Dip in Adult Nursing. I know what you mean because so many people think you have the old 2 year diploma, as soon as you say the word 'diploma'! I haven't passed my ANMAC skills assessment yet, but I have heard of people getting AHPRA approval and being able to work in Aus with it, so it must be grand in the end.

PS They do clearly state you must have 'degree level or higher', which means postgraduate should be okay.

Edited by LeeH

Thanks for the replies. 

Ali I'm working as a nurse and have 4 years experience. My degree in psychology and counselling is purely theory. 

Lee, can I ask how far into the process are you? I've been told that it completely depends on who reviews your application at AHPRA so some people are lucky and some not so much - which seems totally unregulated and unfair. I don't know if it's worth completing a top up course which costs around £2500 at Sheffield Hallam Uni which will take a minimum of a year to complete but  I will then have a MSc. Would you mind keeping me updated with your application.... good luck.

Thanks DukeNinja I'll look into that too

Hello! 

I have been reading this forum for a while but this is my first post! 

I applied to ANMAC in Jan with a PgDip in Child Nursing and several years experience. They have responded by putting my application on hold due to them questioning if I can get AHPRA registration with my qualification. They recommend I apply to AHPRA and get back to them with my approval in principle/or a rejection letter before they will proceed. My application will remain open with ANMAC for a year still. 

I'm now really questioning if AHPRA will accept the qualification or not. I've contacted them but they said they cannot comment on individual applications. Feel very frustrated! 

I interpreted criteria  4 of the NMBA as being a minimum of a degree, but actually maybe you just have to have a degree in nursing and nothing else will be accepted. I'm considering what to do next. 

Good luck! 

Sorry to hear the application has been put on hold, Its so frustrating that the qualification is being questioned. 

I have to to say I've not had much luck at all with AHPRA and again had the same response as you about not commenting on individual  applications. At the minute I just feel really confused and not sure which direction to head in next. 

Do you have any idea what step you are going to take next SunshineRiver? 

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your application 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2018 at 07:53, Jen3103 said:

Lee, can I ask how far into the process are you? I've been told that it completely depends on who reviews your application at AHPRA so some people are lucky and some not so much - which seems totally unregulated and unfair. I don't know if it's worth completing a top up course which costs around £2500 at Sheffield Hallam Uni which will take a minimum of a year to complete but  I will then have a MSc.

I'm right at the beginning of my application. I've sent off both AHPRA and ANMAC application forms but waiting for uni to send my course info off. I briefly was in touch a year or two ago with a girl who did the exact same course as me (PG Dip) at the exact same uni, and she was able to register and work on a working holiday visa.

Edited by LeeH

Fingers crossed for you then, I understand your frustrations - there is a part of me that things to just turn my back on nursing. Ive seen that registered nurses were removed from Queenslands list too in February this year which is worrying. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2018 at 14:17, SunshineRiver said:

I applied to ANMAC in Jan with a PgDip in Child Nursing and several years experience. They have responded by putting my application on hold due to them questioning if I can get AHPRA registration with my qualification. They recommend I apply to AHPRA and get back to them with my approval in principle/or a rejection letter before they will proceed.

I've had this email this week too.. It was my first contact from ANMAC and had a letter attached stating that some uni courses aren't accepted and some applicants will need to do a bridging course. They also asked me to apply to AHPRA and send a copy of my letter of eligibility when I get it. If I get it! Sounds like they'll be happy if AHPRA are..

I've previously sent my AHPRA application and I sent my uni course details via courier this week and they've received them. Let's hope news from AHPRA is good...

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

i wondered if anyone has an update of their AHPRA process? I’m in the same situation, I have an adult nursing pgdip, and looking to emigrate, but completely unsure if it will be accepted!

i’d love to hear back from anyone in the same boat!

sophie

On 17/05/2018 at 08:31, ilovefeffer said:

Hi all,

i wondered if anyone has an update of their AHPRA process? I’m in the same situation, I have an adult nursing pgdip, and looking to emigrate, but completely unsure if it will be accepted!

I should be hearing about my application in the next few weeks. I was hopeful because I knew of a friend with a PGDip who successfully registered with AHPRA 2 years ago ish. I'm now not so hopeful as I've just read this post https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/173366-nurse-registration-post-graduate-diploma/ on this forum from a few years back. I do have a degree level critical care nursing course and mentorship course which may swing things a bit in my favour but I can't help feeling that's clutching at straws!

I thought I would update on this thread as I have recently received some news that has scuppered my immigration plans. I applied for my skills assessment with ANMAC and within a week, I received an email from them stating that they were freezing my application for two years unless in the meantime I could prove that I had obtained registration with AHPRA. This is all because my course is one of the fast-track 2 year postgraduate diplomas. I have since spoken to four different registered migration agents and have been advised that if I apply to AHPRA now, I might as well take my money and flush it down the toilet as I will get rejected, based on the fact my qualification will be considered 'insufficient'. Apparently it doesn't matter that on paper, I satisfy ALL of the criteria.

One of the main prompts in my career change into nursing (I previously did marketing and PR) was the fact that this qualification could take me anywhere in the world (as I was told by my University). So I have completely changed my career, gone back to University for two years, done all 4,600 hours of work and now found out I won't be able to move with it. My only option is to return to University in the UK, do a degree top-up, which is about as stupid as it sounds because my current qualification is already higher than what I'd be topping up to.

So just a word of warning for anyone doing the 2 year PGDip Adult Nursing course...you won't be able to register with this qualification and as of the past few months, ANMAC will now refuse to process your skills assessment until you provide evidence of AHPRA registration.

Edited by LeeH

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/05/2018 at 10:23, LeeH said:

I should be hearing about my application in the next few weeks. I was hopeful because I knew of a friend with a PGDip who successfully registered with AHPRA 2 years ago ish. I'm now not so hopeful as I've just read this post https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/173366-nurse-registration-post-graduate-diploma/ on this forum from a few years back. I do have a degree level critical care nursing course and mentorship course which may swing things a bit in my favour but I can't help feeling that's clutching at straws!

I thought I would update on this thread as I have recently received some news that has scuppered my immigration plans. I applied for my skills assessment with ANMAC and within a week, I received an email from them stating that they were freezing my application for two years unless in the meantime I could prove that I had obtained registration with AHPRA. This is all because my course is one of the fast-track 2 year postgraduate diplomas. I have since spoken to four different registered migration agents and have been advised that if I apply to AHPRA now, I might as well take my money and flush it down the toilet as I will get rejected, based on the fact my qualification will be considered 'insufficient'. Apparently it doesn't matter that on paper, I satisfy ALL of the criteria.

One of the main prompts in my career change into nursing (I previously did marketing and PR) was the fact that this qualification could take me anywhere in the world (as I was told by my University). So I have completely changed my career, gone back to University for two years, done all 4,600 hours of work and now found out I won't be able to move with it. My only option is to return to University in the UK, do a degree top-up, which is about as stupid as it sounds because my current qualification is already higher than what I'd be topping up to.

So just a word of warning for anyone doing the 2 year PGDip Adult Nursing course...you won't be able to register with this qualification and as of the past few months, ANMAC will now refuse to process your skills assessment until you provide evidence of AHPRA registration.

Have you heard anything from AHPRA yet Lee?

On 31/05/2018 at 22:23, Jen3103 said:

Have you heard anything from AHPRA yet Lee?

Hi Jen yes, I had an email from the guy who's been dealing with my application. He said that my application has been 'deemed complete' (I think that means they're happy with all I've submitted) and has now been passed on to the managers for approval. He said it takes up to four weeks to process, so this is the crucial stage I think. Interestingly he also asked me to restate my course start and end dates, so I'm sure my PGDip course is under scrutiny. Good luck me..

8 hours ago, LeeH said:

Hi Jen yes, I had an email from the guy who's been dealing with my application. He said that my application has been 'deemed complete' (I think that means they're happy with all I've submitted) and has now been passed on to the managers for approval. He said it takes up to four weeks to process, so this is the crucial stage I think. Interestingly he also asked me to restate my course start and end dates, so I'm sure my PGDip course is under scrutiny. Good luck me..

Fingers crossed it's plain sailing from here for you - hopefully they can't deem it an unacceptable qualification. I'll keep you updated if I hear anything back. 

Good luck 

• 1 month later...
On 03/06/2018 at 19:31, Jen3103 said:

Fingers crossed it's plain sailing from here for you - hopefully they can't deem it an unacceptable qualification. I'll keep you updated if I hear anything back. 

Good luck 

Hi Guys

Just wanted to post an update, as today I received my Registration In Principle letter from AHPRA! To say I'm ecstatic is an understatement. Not sure if there have been changes in requirements at AHPRA or they were just happy with all my credentials, but I'm stoked either way. Possibly they were happy with my PGDip course on it's own, or the extra degree level study I have completed (ICU nurse course and mentorship) helped as well.

Now on to the ANMAC skills assessment..

• Like 2

That is great Lee! I’m so pleased they recognise the PgDip.

In the end I decided to go down the NZ route as it was quicker and doesn’t require you to present in person when you apply to Trans-Tasman to AHPRA . Once I told ANMAC I was registered in NZ they sorted my LOD in just over a week, so you shouldn’t have to wait too long! I just replied to the email that they sent asking me to get registration with a scan of my NZ registration. 

Good luck with your EOI! 

On 05/07/2018 at 11:46, LeeH said:

Hi Guys

Just wanted to post an update, as today I received my Registration In Principle letter from AHPRA! To say I'm ecstatic is an understatement. Not sure if there have been changes in requirements at AHPRA or they were just happy with all my credentials, but I'm stoked either way. Possibly they were happy with my PGDip course on it's own, or the extra degree level study I have completed (ICU nurse course and mentorship) helped as well.

Now on to the ANMAC skills assessment..

Lee what fantastic news! I'm so chuffed for you - you better get that flight booked. 

Good luck with ANMAC but hopefully that will be straight forward now. 

Im yet to hear from AHPRA been waiting 8 weeks now and I'm getting very fidgety about it all. 

Keep us updated ?

On 06/07/2018 at 20:03, Jen3103 said:

Im yet to hear from AHPRA been waiting 8 weeks now and I'm getting very fidgety about it all.

Thanks Jen and good luck to you. It'll be good to hear from you when you get your news too. Have you had an email saying that your application has been passed on to management for approval? Mine came about 5 weeks after that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/07/2018 at 20:43, LeeH said:

Thanks Jen and good luck to you. It'll be good to hear from you when you get your news too. Have you had an email saying that your application has been passed on to management for approval? Mine came about 5 weeks after that.

I’ve had an email this week offering me an extension as the 90 day period is coming up which I have accepted and they have requested more information from me which I’m currently in the process of organising - one being my documents weren’t certified properly which was stressful. So hoping can be resolved quickly, trying to remain positive. 

Have you booked your flight yet? 

Edited by Jen3103
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...