Quality of life for kids

MissMissingEurope

8 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

yes it was ...and between then and a couple of days in Jan 2018 ....and two days recently ....Not one day under zero in that time .

take a look at the winters of 63 and 79 ...what we have had recently I nothing like it ....christmas 16-17, people were stood outside the pub drinking ....unheard of .

our weather is definitely getting milder , get over it ?

Not one day under zero BS you've been standing out in the cold to long xD

4 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

p.s even 10/11 was nothing compared to yesteryear either .

that was a cold snap that probably lasted two weeks ....i remember standing in an empty house ,and it was -4c inside .

winter used to last from Nov - march minimum ....ice and snow drifts were guaranteed every year .

if its that bad ...how many football fixtures have been cancelled in recent years ?

villa are currently playing at Bolton ,as I type .

that is the first time in recent memory that I have seen snow on a football pitch

Absolute rubbish England has NEVER had guaranteed ice and snow drifts winters have always been different one year to the next some cold and icy some very mild and wet. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

yes it was ...and between then and a couple of days in Jan 2018 ....and two days recently ....Not one day under zero in that time .

take a look at the winters of 63 and 79 ...what we have had recently I nothing like it ....christmas 16-17, people were stood outside the pub drinking ....unheard of .

That's where you live bunbury61.  Certainly not the case up north and in Scotland.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Toots said:

That's where you live bunbury61.  Certainly not the case up north and in Scotland.  

As I keep saying people can only comment on where they live. You can expect people to say it's a lovely day here but 80 miles North apparently it's raining. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Yes absolutely. Years ago winters were guaranteed to be cold and icy for months and months, now it seems if you get a cold month it's unusual. This recent snow and cold is just not what we have become used to. 

• Haha 1

African kids are the happiest kids in the world, always laughing and always look happy, they have very little compared to todays kids in affluent countries but find their own fun...my parents and grandparents were far happier as kids they say as today's kids are.

1 hour ago, Perthbum said:

African kids are the happiest kids in the world, always laughing and always look happy, they have very little compared to todays kids in affluent countries but find their own fun...my parents and grandparents were far happier as kids they say as today's kids are.

I've spent a lot of time in Thailand and I don't think I've ever seen a Thai child there throw a tantrum or heard them wailing.  Most of the children don't have much but they always seem calm and happy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Maybe said:

Finally this topic is back on topic - quality of life for kids - as opposed to the Weather :) though may of course have an impact on quality of life ( for kids) for all? 

Don't think so, Scandinavian children seem very happy, weather does not play a part, to hot or to cold you can always do something

13 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

Not one day under zero BS you've been standing out in the cold to long xD

believe what you like ...i couldn't care less ....christmas day 12c .....check it out ...i even put the temps up at the time .....WE HAVE NOT HAD ONE DAY UNDER ZERO IN THE WEST MIDS ..in 6-7 yrs ...until recently ....

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bunbury61 said:

believe what you like ...i couldn't care less ....christmas day 12c .....check it out ...i even put the temps up at the time .....WE HAVE NOT HAD ONE DAY UNDER ZERO IN THE WEST MIDS ..in 6-7 yrs ...until recently ....

overnight yes ...but none during the day

last winter ...i woke up to 6 iced windscreens

this winter ....more like 15-20 ....

2 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

So you’ve had recent days under zero? xD 

4 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

Yes exactly right, recent winters have been ridiculously mild, I had shorts on into December which would have been unheard of in years gone by. Even this winter overall hasn't been bad as you know, apart from the recent snow It's been another mild one. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

Absolute rubbish England has NEVER had guaranteed ice and snow drifts winters have always been different one year to the next some cold and icy some very mild and wet. 

bs ...absolute bs ....when I was younger 60s -70s -80s winter was guaranteed ....tell me pre 90s when there was a mild and wet winter ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest The Pom Queen
2 hours ago, Maybe said:

Finally this topic is back on topic - quality of life for kids - as opposed to the Weather :) though may of course have an impact on quality of life ( for kids) for all? 

Here is one of the articles from one of our young members who as been on the forum since he was 11 years old, he has made some lifelong friends on here some he classes as part of his family now.

10 minutes ago, Sandgroper said:

Well done champ, Solihull Monday a damp grey top of 4c with a low of 1c lovely.

yes i know ...glad you are still so interested in the u.k weather ....is your life over there that good ???? , that you are taking the time to look up solihulls weather ?

Solihull is a quality place though ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

bs ...absolute bs ....when I was younger 60s -70s -80s winter was guaranteed ....tell me pre 90s when there was a mild and wet winter ?

Yes I agree entirely, certainly in the 80s it was pretty much guaranteed that winter would be winter. 

1 hour ago, Perthbum said:

Don't think so, Scandinavian children seem very happy, weather does not play a part, to hot or to cold you can always do something

I have 2 Swedish neices and prettier girls you never did see, 19 and 20 y/o . They both walk about with faces like smacked arses, surley and miserable.

I think it's because they live in the middle of nowhere.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

yes i know ...glad you are still so interested in the u.k weather ....is your life over there that good ???? , that you are taking the time to look up solihulls weather ?

Solihull is a quality place though ?

Life here is good you know it is that’s why you hang around xD 

I do like to check the weather when I suspect BS not often I’m wrong ^_^

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Sandgroper said:

Life here is good you know it is that’s why you hang around xD 

I do like to check the weather when I suspect BS not often I’m wrong ^_^

well here's a first time then .....I don't do bs ....i have no need to .

p.s ...i can come back to w.a whenever i like ....aussie passport ,and a nice bank balance ....but i have responsibilities here , that no one else wants to take on .

so Perth can wait ....plus Europe is calling once more ...?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bunbury61 said:

WARNING! Tangenital discourse

Never mind pre 90's although I am well acquainted. Pre 64 I can talk of as dire.............May have been different darn sarf but I can tell you for sure, no matter what "statistic averages"  may say, but as a child, I remember all too clearly battling through huge drifts to get to (forced into going) school every winter. Just before Easter seemed to be the worse strangely enough? OK, we were littlies and drifts may seem big, but my whole childhood memories are filled  with the annual winter event of trying to drink frozen school milk and staying away from buildings due to the likelihood of falling icicles.

Anyone remember Milady toffee? Made by Waller and Hartley the factory was on our way to school. Tankers that pumped in Glucose used to have their hoses freeze to the factory inlets and a tribe of turbaned lady employees (older folk will visualise the turbans) used to come out and pour kettles of boiling water onto the couplings so that the tanker could drive off.

Xmas break 63 and "us oicks" threw all the gowned prefects of Blackpool Grammar School, that we could lay our hands on, into the frozen ponds that abutted our playing fields. Due to the likelihood of retribution on return, I didn't, and joined up in May aged 15........those fields, with frozen earth, that racked at our limbs when forced to play Rugby Union............Us oicks forced to play in our school uniform because our parents couldn't afford rugby strip which made it all the worse for the earache we got on returning home with sorely afforded ripped uniform covered in mud..................Jerusalem" my arse! British winters were dire, at least for working class kids who'd passed the 11 plus pre 64 and class does enter into your perception of winter for those who think the tangent of discussion is too obtuse. Last Night at the Proms always conjures up those memories and my hatred for the privileged class...............British winters have a lot to answer for in relation to those not sitting comfortably at home with "pipe and slippers" IYKWIM?

Weather, no matter where you may be, as any serviceman will tell you, is designed merely to foil all battle plans and is designed (by the Gods)  purely to test man's fortitude