Quality of life for kids

MissMissingEurope

We were very close to the Black Saturday fires and had houses burn in our suburbs, we have had the flooding as well including the Cat 5 Cyclone Yasi but it would never ever turn me against a place. The UK has had serious flooding so does that mean you will be moving away from there when the next flood hits? 
I think you misunderstood. I was providing support to the case that Australia has a harsh climate.

The black Saturday fires were less than 1km from us. Our closest friends lost everything. We had friends and their fluffy family large and small find shelter our home for werks after the fires..Many other friends lost many loved ones and a whole community. I had nightmares after that day, like many others have i am sure.

I have also lived through 'one' flood in the Uk and i have lived in the UK for over 30 years before moving to Australia. Note, not 'floods' many of...like i have in Australia both in Victoria and Queensland... Although climate chsnge is increasing the frequency of extreme weather events.

I wish people would not be so judgemental and assuming. There are many reasons for going back home to the Uk. Family, friends, food, climate, work opportunities, cultural diversity to name but a few.

Our decision to move back is based on many factors, none are in isolation.

I will make sure that we live high on hill like we did before we left...and not on a flood plain...
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Guest The Pom Queen
12 hours ago, MelT said:

Actually the main reason for going back is that myself and my son have developed severe allergies to genetically modified food. Banned for human consumption in Europe. Allowed here with no adequate testing for humans to consume in Australia. Mainly all canola, corn and cottonseed derived products. We cannot eat out anywhere and I have to read every supermarket food label (unless made in Europe). It has quite an impact on our daily lives.

The climate does not help I have to say.. Developing skin cancer (even though I have always been careful) and increasing temperatures over the last few years in Qld have made us feel like hermits.. You can do all the research in the world but until you have actually lived it you do not how you will manage. Yes there will be somethings I miss about Australia. But the negatives of living here are now out weighing the positives and it is time to go home.

I think 13 years is quite a chapter here. I do not see it as a failure. More so a chapter in our lives we have learnt from and will enable us to appreciate things about the uk we would not have done before.

There is a huge amount of people all over the world with allergies who manage to live with them on a daily basis, be thankful that’s all you have to worry about. Goodness knows what you would do if you were put in a wheelchair or had a serious medical condition that you knew would take your life but didn’t know when.  How do you know you still won’t have allergies to canola and corn when you go back? 

‘As for skin cancer, my mum currently as it and as been fighting it for a number of years and that’s living in the UK, my Aunty got skin cancer also living in the UK. 

58 minutes ago, Quoll said:

I think that’s right. More than just health too, I think a whole load of priorities change with age as well. What’s a jolly adventure in your 20s is not going to be as thrilling when you’re in your 60s. I would definitely struggle to live in PNG again.  I was fine in Aus through from 30s to 50s then it got tough in my 60s. It’ll be interesting to see how my 70s shape up but I’m still a bit of an adventurer.

I moved to Australia when I was 60, I was up for more adventure and experiences and was definitely not ready to settle back in Uk in a cottage with roses growing round the door. What a fantastic 15 years so far,  visited every state, travelled to China, Cambodia and Vietnam, Singapore, Kuala Lumpah, Sri Lanka and more. Still cope with the heat, but do need the aircon,  but then need central heating in UK when visiting in winter. Really don't like the cold now. Spend approximately 3 months a year in U.K., great to visit our grandchildren but it's not for me now.

• Like 4

There is a huge amount of people all over the world with allergies who manage to live with them on a daily basis, be thankful that’s all you have to worry about. Goodness knows what you would do if you were put in a wheelchair or had a serious medical condition that you knew would take your life but didn’t know when.  How do you know you still won’t have allergies to canola and corn when you go back? 
‘As for skin cancer, my mum currently as it and as been fighting it for a number of years and that’s living in the UK, my Aunty got skin cancer also living in the UK. 
The UV index here in Qld is extreme. I, as does my son have very fair skin. I have a choice. Stay in Qld living like a hermit because it is too hot, highest skin cancer rate in the world or do something about it.

I only moved to Queensland to be closer to my parents. Otherwise we would have stayed in Victoria. Even 8+ years ago in Victoria i was v home sick. Qld has made it worse.

As they say nothing ventured nothing gained.

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen
2 minutes ago, MelT said:

I wish people would not be so judgemental and assuming. There are many reasons for going back home to the Uk. Family, friends, food, climate, work opportunities, cultural diversity to name but a few.

Our decision to move back is based on many factors, none are in isolation.

I will make sure that we live high on hill like we did before we left...and not on a flood plain...

The reason why people get judgemental is because we have a small handful of people on here who have been unhappy in one area of Australia, even one Suburb but they stay on the forum and go on and on and on about how ALL Australia is rubbish.

Comments like that don’t help anyone. Like you said there are numerous reasons why people return.

Guest The Pom Queen
1 minute ago, MelT said:

The UV index here in Qld is extreme. I, as does my son have very fair skin. I have a choice. Stay in Qld living like a hermit because it is too hot, highest skin cancer rate in the world or do something about it.

I only moved to Queensland to be closer to my parents. Otherwise we would have stayed in Victoria. Even 8+ years ago in Victoria i was v home sick. Qld has made it worse.

Good luck with your move back and I hope it all works out for you.

I have had serious health issues. Maybe that is why i have decided life is to short to live like a hermit... unless you have lived in someone shoes dont pass judgement.
  • Like 2

Just now, The Pom Queen said:

The reason why people get judgemental is because we have a small handful of people on here who have been unhappy in one area of Australia, even one Suburb but they stay on the forum and go on and on and on about how ALL Australia is rubbish.

Comments like that don’t help anyone. Like you said there are numerous reasons why people return.

In fairness I don't think I have ever seen anyone say ALL Australia is rubbish. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Guest The Pom Queen
1 minute ago, bristolman said:

Oh come on it happens on a regular basis

Guest The Pom Queen
3 minutes ago, MelT said:
12 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

I have had serious health issues. Maybe that is why i have decided life is to short to live like a hermit... unless you have lived in someone shoes dont pass judgement.

Maybe practice what you preach as well. I am the person I was talking about and tbh when I see someone saying they are returning because they have a food allergy I think there must be a lot more to it. Anyway like I said before I wish you luck and I hope your food allergy vanishes when you get home and that you head somewhere like Scotland where there isn’t any sun.

Maybe practice what you preach as well. I am the person I was talking about and tbh when I see someone saying they are returning because they have a food allergy I think there must be a lot more to it. Anyway like I said before I wish you luck and I hope your food allergy vanishes when you get home and that you head somewhere like Scotland where there isn’t any sun.
Oh dear. That is so sad... I thought playground politics stayed in the playground all those years ago. I was obviously wrong.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bristolman said:

The generalisation of All of Australia is the norm on PIO rather than specific areas mentioned, well that is apart from Perth!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, ramot said:

The generalisation of All of Australia is the norm on PIO rather than specific areas mentioned, well that is apart from Perth!!!

So no different to the generalisation of all of the UK then ? One seems to be acceptable but not the other. Perth is special ?

• Haha 1

FYI my food allergy did vanish when i retuned to the uk in 2013 for a holiday and to visit family and friends. That is when i did a food type exlusion diet when i returned to Australia.

Also visited in January this year and could eat anything without getting sick. Getting sick generally involves severe stomach pain (the type that makes you cry and sceam) and the need to have immediate access to a toilet for the diarrhea it expels... as well as fighting secondary skin infections whilst the skin bleeds and breaks down. That is why i cannot eat GM foods. Not life threatening but very debilitating.

Now my son has developed an allergy to GM too.. not fun listening to your own child crying and sceaming in pain.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, MelT said:

Oh dear. That is so sad... I thought playground politics stayed in the playground all those years ago. I was obviously wrong.

I will gently point out as you are a fairly new member on PIO, that our very special PQ has more than her fair share of health problems, and has been unwavering in her support and advice to all members for the many years I have been a member, 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, bristolman said:

So no different to the generalisation of all of the UK then ? One seems to be acceptable but not the other. Perth is special ?

not quite the same thing given the difference in size ?

IMG_7066.GIF

• Like 1

As usual a topic has gone completely off track from “Quality of life for kids” to a debate about U.K/Australian weather, U.K/Australia bashing and talk of general “failure” of anyone who has the audacity to return home. Hardly helpful for the original poster or anyone else who had an interest in the topic to begin with!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Martinbjulieb said:

As usual a topic has gone completely off track from “Quality of life for kids” to a debate about U.K/Australian weather, U.K/Australia bashing and talk of general “failure” of anyone who has the audacity to return home. Hardly helpful for the original poster or anyone else who had an interest in the topic to begin with!!

I agree with this sentiment.  Not everywhere is for everyone.  The UK lovers also need to remember this and not insult the intelligence of those that enjoy living in Australia as seems to happen just as often too

• Like 4

Guest The Pom Queen
2 hours ago, bristolman said:

That's totally irrelevant. 

Chris it’s totally relevant, come on even you aren’t that blind. Look at the land area that Oz covers each area as it’s own climate, history, landscape etc etc. It’s like saying Madrid is like Bradford, if we all started saying that we would be laughed at and rightly so. Why can’t you see this. 

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 00:41, Sandgroper said:

xD Rubbish the winter of 2010/11 was horrendous, you might not have seen it but it was one of those prolonged periods of snow and ice you claim never happen anymore :rolleyes:

There you go just so you can't deny it ever happened xD

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/interesting/dec2010 

yes it was ...and between then and a couple of days in Jan 2018 ....and two days recently ....Not one day under zero in that time .

take a look at the winters of 63 and 79 ...what we have had recently I nothing like it ....christmas 16-17, people were stood outside the pub drinking ....unheard of .

our weather is definitely getting milder , get over it ?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Chris it’s totally relevant, come on even you aren’t that blind. Look at the land area that Oz covers each area as it’s own climate, history, landscape etc etc. It’s like saying Madrid is like Bradford, if we all started saying that we would be laughed at and rightly so. Why can’t you see this. 

It's in reference to not generalizing about either country, nothing to do with being blind, it's just not relevant to what we are talking about. 

3 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

yes it was ...and between then and a couple of days in Jan 2018 ....and two days recently ....Not one day under zero in that time .

take a look at the winters of 63 and 79 ...what we have had recently I nothing like it ....christmas 16-17, people were stood outside the pub drinking ....unheard of .

our weather is definitely getting milder , get over it ?

p.s even 10/11 was nothing compared to yesteryear either .

that was a cold snap that probably lasted two weeks ....i remember standing in an empty house ,and it was -4c inside .

winter used to last from Nov - march minimum ....ice and snow drifts were guaranteed every year .

if its that bad ...how many football fixtures have been cancelled in recent years ?

villa are currently playing at Bolton ,as I type .

that is the first time in recent memory that I have seen snow on a football pitch

12 hours ago, MelT said:

Do you do anything except whinge?