Bills

sunshinedawn

Utilities vary greatly depending on consumption.  They are quarterly for gas and electricity.  You don't pay the rates if your are renting.  For the year our electricity usage (on average)is $800 but we have solar for hot water which helps.  Our stove top is gas (oven electric) and we use gas cylinders which cost $60 a year.    

1 hour ago, sunshinedawn said:

We've recently moved into our rental and was wondering if anyone can shed some light on how often and roughly how much the utilities the bills are. We are in a 3 bed unit in Frankston area

Electricity bills are quarterly while Gas bills are every 2 months. That's standard no matter the company as while you can choose your own provider meter reading has a set schedule (although they'll all try to offer you the option of paying monthly which, just like in the UK, is a scam to get you to pay in advance since their estimate usage is always more than you're actually using and you'll end up with them owing you 6 months of Electricity or Gas). Because of the different timing of Electricity and Gas (assuming you haven't gone for a monthly plan) most months you have to pay one or the other but every 4 months both (but you won't pay either the following month).

Water bills where I am now are quarterly but was only once every 6 months at my old place (different water company). Too many factors to tell you how much any of your bills will ll be - but your water will be cheap because in a rental you don't pay the standing charge (that's the landlords responsibility). As a home owner I can tell you that adding the standing charges for water more than doubles the bill.

• Thanks 1

Electricity bills are quarterly while Gas bills are every 2 months. That's standard no matter the company as while you can choose your own provider meter reading has a set schedule (although they'll all try to offer you the option of paying monthly which, just like in the UK, is a scam to get you to pay in advance since their estimate usage is always more than you're actually using and you'll end up with them owing you 6 months of Electricity or Gas). Because of the different timing of Electricity and Gas (assuming you haven't gone for a monthly plan) most months you have to pay one or the other but every 4 months both (but you won't pay either the following month).
Water bills where I am now are quarterly but was only once every 6 months at my old place (different water company). Too many factors to tell you how much any of your bills will ll be - but your water will be cheap because in a rental you don't pay the standing charge (that's the landlords responsibility). As a home owner I can tell you that adding the standing charges for water more than doubles the bill.
Thanks, we've had a bill for electricity which was from when we moved in (end of Dec to mid jan) and water bill , no gas as yet was trying to guess when the gas bill would come, hopefully should be soon then.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2018 at 15:35, Ken said:

Electricity bills are quarterly while Gas bills are every 2 months. That's standard no matter the company as while you can choose your own provider meter reading has a set schedule (although they'll all try to offer you the option of paying monthly which, just like in the UK, is a scam to get you to pay in advance since their estimate usage is always more than you're actually using and you'll end up with them owing you 6 months of Electricity or Gas).

Some electricity companies, such as AGL, have started giving an option to their subscribers to enter the meter reading themselves (app/website) every month to get an accurate bill. I have been doing it for last 3 or 4 months.

On 20/02/2018 at 13:25, sunshinedawn said:

We've recently moved into our rental and was wondering if anyone can shed some light on how often and roughly how much the utilities the bills are. We are in a 3 bed unit in Frankston area

I live in a 2 bed unit with no gas connection. My last 4 monthly electricity bills are $140, $229, $100 and $193. Our stove top is electric (ceramic) and there is no air conditioner. A couple of persons have told me that my electricity bill is a bit higher, for a 3 person household, because of the electric stove. If I replace it with a gas stove, the bill would go down to approximately $80-$130 monthly range on average. I still have to authenticate this myself.

There is no water bill in my unit. As someone already answered, it is the responsibility of the house/unit owner.

Guest The Pom Queen

We have seen ours change so much from when we lived in Victoria (so much cheaper) to moving to Queensland. Our electric bill even with solar was $1200 a quarter and we had everything low energy. Gas was $70 a quarter but there is no mains gas up in FNQ so we were on gas bottles. 

13 hours ago, verynewuser said:

There is no water bill in my unit. As someone already answered, it is the responsibility of the house/unit owner.

If the water is individually metered to your unit then the water usage is the responsibility of the tenant but the owner still pays the standing charges but there are still a lot of units that don't have water metering (or at least not individual water metering).

We have gas but it is taken care of as part of the rent.  Pay for water and leccy.

When I went to hunt the meter down to find the serial number I found just one for all 18 units.  Promptly went out and bought a whistle kettle?

On 13/05/2018 at 14:30, Parley said:

Everyone has smart meter by now.

My bill certainly didn't change still quarterly.

I dont have a smart meter and mine is every 2 months in Perth . I do my own meter reading and have done for a long time 

On 23/05/2018 at 16:25, The Pom Queen said:

We have seen ours change so much from when we lived in Victoria (so much cheaper) to moving to Queensland. Our electric bill even with solar was $1200 a quarter and we had everything low energy. Gas was $70 a quarter but there is no mains gas up in FNQ so we were on gas bottles. 

We have just received our quarterly electricity bill.  Ours was $135.  My friend's (who lives on her own) was just over $80.  The amount you had to pay is shocking Pom Queen.  ?   A lot of us here have solar which helps but obviously didn't do much to help you.

Guest The Pom Queen
6 minutes ago, Toots said:

We have just received our quarterly electricity bill.  Ours was $135.  My friend's (who lives on her own) was just over $80.  The amount you had to pay is shocking Pom Queen.  ?   A lot of us here have solar which helps but obviously didn't do much to help you.

Tell me about it. I wouldn’t mind but we have all the low energy light bulbs etc. 

Just now, The Pom Queen said:

Tell me about it. I wouldn’t mind but we have all the low energy light bulbs etc. 

Have you queried with your supplier why your bills are so high?   There are three of you at home aren't there?  Your bill should average half the amount you are paying I would have thought.

Guest The Pom Queen
15 minutes ago, Toots said:

Have you queried with your supplier why your bills are so high?   There are three of you at home aren't there?  Your bill should average half the amount you are paying I would have thought.

Yes 3 of us. We do have the kennels though, but we don’t have the aircon on for them at this time of year. I don’t know if the bore/tank pumps use a lot as we have never been on bore water before. 

‘When we can afford it our dream is to go off grid.