Is it normal that I keep changing my mind?!

maidensarah

8 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Holidays don’t have to cost a lot.  We used to holiday regularly in Spain and Majorca, getting cheap flights and renting a villa or apartment and a car for much less than that, even in peak season.  And our relatives in the UK still do that for much less than 3k.  We have always travelled a lot on a modest budget and enjoyed it all the more by not staying in big hotels that could be anywhere.

Well yes we are in a hotel all inclusive, but generally holidays in these areas have gone up a lot in price due to more demand and people less likely to go to places where the terrorism risk is higher I.e. Tunisia. 

Edited by maidensarah

20 minutes ago, maidensarah said:

I dunno about quite a few with the cost it takes to go on holidays on the school holidays. (I don’t know if people are ‘allowed’ to take their kids out for holidays in Aus?) But a week away in Majorca in August is costing 3.5k and that’s with a free child’s place. 

Well, if you invest that money today (or leave it in your house, if that's where it is), then it will continue to grow - so it should finance plenty of holidays.  Whereas if you spend it to move to Australia, it's gone.  

My main concern is that you've got a good life and the only reason you want to move to Oz is because life has become rather humdrum.  Maybe you're pining for the fancy-free life you had before you had kids.  But the truth is, after the initial novelty, life in Australia will probably become humdrum too - and then what will you do?

What I'm trying to do here is challenge you to think about your motives.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Well, if you invest that money today (or leave it in your house, if that's where it is), then it will continue to grow - so it should finance plenty of holidays.  Whereas if you spend it to move to Australia, it's gone.  

My main concern is that you've got a good life and the only reason you want to move to Oz is because life has become rather humdrum.  Maybe you're pining for the fancy-free life you had before you had kids.  But the truth is, after the initial novelty, life in Australia will probably become humdrum too - and then what will you do?

Oh no I don’t pine for a life before kids. They’re my world and everything I do is for them. When i think of Australia I think of all the places we could take them to that I went to and also they love beaches and the outdoor life. I like being outdoors but not in the cold or rain so much. 

Edited by maidensarah
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Bulya said:

Just back in after feeding our resident Blue Tongue lizard some grapes.  Makes one feel for those still stuck in the U.K

Why do you keep commenting about people 'stuck in the Uk ? Millions and millions of us are not stuck anywhere lol

Edited by bristolman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, maidensarah said:

Oh no I don’t pine for a life before kids. They’re my world and everything I do is for them. When i think of Australia I think of all the places we could take them to that I went to and also they love beaches and the outdoor life. I like being outdoors but not in the cold or rain so much. 

I think i could have wrote that post myself, we enjoy the beaches, fishing, boating, camping etc so love the variety here and love exploring different areas. We had a great life in the UK , holiday home in Spain, good jobs, good friends etc but wanted something different , a challenge and we are glad we made the jump. Not all succesful migrants here come from crappy areas and crappy jobs. Once established life can be just as settled here, if not better.

As for cheap holidays, we have been to Vanuatu quite a few times, Fiji, Cook islands, new zealand and Bali are quite common places to holiday too as well but heh the way Australia itself varies State to State, you could holiday in a different place for the rest of your life and not leave the country,lol and you can get some fab deals on interstate flights too.

Cal x

• Like 3

3 hours ago, calNgary said:

I think i could have wrote that post myself, we enjoy the beaches, fishing, boating, camping etc so love the variety here and love exploring different areas. We had a great life in the UK , holiday home in Spain, good jobs, good friends etc but wanted something different , a challenge and we are glad we made the jump. Not all succesful migrants here come from crappy areas and crappy jobs. Once established life can be just as settled here, if not better.

As for cheap holidays, we have been to Vanuatu quite a few times, Fiji, Cook islands, new zealand and Bali are quite common places to holiday too as well but heh the way Australia itself varies State to State, you could holiday in a different place for the rest of your life and not leave the country,lol and you can get some fab deals on interstate flights too.

Cal x

Thanks. Where abouts have you settled? 

• Like 1

My only comment would be to fully understand the implication and what it means. Take things into account of that while friends and family may say they will come to visit, the reality is often very different. Also consider implications of if you decide you want to come home. Yes, you can just jump on a plane, but the cost implications are massive. We moved to Oz in 2008 and returned home in 2016. We were in a position that our mortgage would have long ago have been paid off, but now are having to save for a deposit. Moving to Oz is incredibly expensive and if you find yourselves being one of the many that return, more so!

Also, make sure you have the conversation in advance of what you will do if you find one wants to return and one doesn't. We see marriages die off where this happens

• Like 4

Hi,

We've just arrived, we've talked about it for 10 years and in the last 4 made a concerted effort to get a visa.   Our kids are 8 and 10.  They started school on Tuesday and immediately loved it and have made friends.  My eldest, who previously described school as "torture" in the UK has come out beaming for the last few days. They have a great library and ICT suite at their school as well as all the sporty stuff - they are taking part in the school swimming gala Friday.   I only wish we'd moved years ago!  We came here 3 weeks ago with nowhere to live, no jobs and no school for the kids.  In 3 weeks I've secured a job (start Monday), my kids are in a lovely school and we're just agreeing a move date for our rental property.  It's been stressful at points, but we've made it this far and I can't tell you what a difference the heat and sun makes :)

Just go for it, what's the worst that can happen - you decide to come back? Least you went for it.  In the month before we left the UK I was an emotional wreck, I'm pretty sure the last week before we left nearly killed me with all our goodbyes and tears, but I focused on my reasons for coming here and won't look back now.

We've been welcomed with open arms, everyone so friendly and helpful - I think because so many people are not born here their attitude is a lot different to other places I've been. So far my daughter has played with French, Chinese, Finnish, and of course Aussie girls and is loving every moment.

Life isn't for regrets, if you don't go for it, you'll never know x

• Like 7

13 hours ago, LucyHose said:

Hi,

We've just arrived, we've talked about it for 10 years and in the last 4 made a concerted effort to get a visa.   Our kids are 8 and 10.  They started school on Tuesday and immediately loved it and have made friends.  My eldest, who previously described school as "torture" in the UK has come out beaming for the last few days. They have a great library and ICT suite at their school as well as all the sporty stuff - they are taking part in the school swimming gala Friday.   I only wish we'd moved years ago!  We came here 3 weeks ago with nowhere to live, no jobs and no school for the kids.  In 3 weeks I've secured a job (start Monday), my kids are in a lovely school and we're just agreeing a move date for our rental property.  It's been stressful at points, but we've made it this far and I can't tell you what a difference the heat and sun makes :)

Just go for it, what's the worst that can happen - you decide to come back? Least you went for it.  In the month before we left the UK I was an emotional wreck, I'm pretty sure the last week before we left nearly killed me with all our goodbyes and tears, but I focused on my reasons for coming here and won't look back now.

We've been welcomed with open arms, everyone so friendly and helpful - I think because so many people are not born here their attitude is a lot different to other places I've been. So far my daughter has played with French, Chinese, Finnish, and of course Aussie girls and is loving every moment.

Life isn't for regrets, if you don't go for it, you'll never know x

Sounds great. Where abouts have have you settled? My ideal area would be around Brisbane just hoping it wouldn’t be too hot for my husband all of the time. 

On 02/20/2018 at 17:25, VERYSTORMY said:

My only comment would be to fully understand the implication and what it means. Take things into account of that while friends and family may say they will come to visit, the reality is often very different. Also consider implications of if you decide you want to come home. Yes, you can just jump on a plane, but the cost implications are massive. We moved to Oz in 2008 and returned home in 2016. We were in a position that our mortgage would have long ago have been paid off, but now are having to save for a deposit. Moving to Oz is incredibly expensive and if you find yourselves being one of the many that return, more so!

Also, make sure you have the conversation in advance of what you will do if you find one wants to return and one doesn't. We see marriages die off where this happens

I'll agree with this and also add that it infuriates me with programs like Wanted Down Under.  If you move over there and there is a problem with the marriage you cannot go back to the UK with the children Unless your husband agrees to let you take them and visa versa.  I know people who effectively got stuck somewhere they did not want to be because of this and it is extremely unpleasant situation to get into.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CJT said:

I'll agree with this and also add that it infuriates me with programs like Wanted Down Under.  If you move over there and there is a problem with the marriage you cannot go back to the UK with the children Unless your husband agrees to let you take them and visa versa.  I know people who effectively got stuck somewhere they did not want to be because of this and it is extremely unpleasant situation to get into.

If anyone based any decision on one of those stupid programs then they deserve everything they get. A more ridiculous show I have yet to see. 

11 hours ago, bristolman said:

If anyone based any decision on one of those stupid programs then they deserve everything they get. A more ridiculous show I have yet to see. 

@calNgary  I guess you deserved double being the family on the first show - not only did you watch but you took part lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, bristolman said:

I doubt many base their decision on that show - or even get the idea to emigrate from watching it.  We used to watch it and, indeed, have met and become friendly with a family here who were on the show.  But, like most others, the seed was well and truly planted.

As to being the most ridiculous show you have yet to see I would contend that is a pretty high bar.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bristolman said:

Kind of the same as Escape To The Country.  I stopped watching it when a woman was looking round a lovely big kitchen and stated " Oh the kitchen isn't very big is it".  Good  grief.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toots said:

Kind of the same as Escape To The Country.  I stopped watching it when a woman was looking round a lovely big kitchen and stated " Oh the kitchen isn't very big is it".  Good  grief.  :rolleyes:

Or those ‘downsizing’ and every house shown is ‘too small’

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:46, Bulya said:

What a goose!

Nah i dont think im a goose, we got a free reccie over here for 2 weeks ,hire car and trips all over thrown in,, not to mention the weekend in London all expenses paid, to do some more filimng. Considering we werent having a reccie to Aus and already had the visa granted and leaving date planned, it was great holiday. The TV crew were fantastic and typical friendly aussies who enjoyed a good laugh, all in all a a great experience. Oh and hubby secured work whilst here for when we did move and the tv crew introduced to a family who ended up letting us stay with them when we made the move so didnt have to pay for shortm term accommodation so total bonus all round..

Cal x.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Nah i dont think im a goose, we got a free reccie over here for 2 weeks ,hire car and trips all over thrown in,, not to mention the weekend in London all expenses paid, to do some more filimng. Considering we werent having a reccie to Aus and already had the visa granted and leaving date planned, it was great holiday. The TV crew were fantastic and typical friendly aussies who enjoyed a good laugh, all in all a a great experience. Oh and hubby secured work whilst here for when we did move and the tv crew introduced to a family who ended up letting us stay with them when we made the move so didnt have to pay for shortm term accommodation so total bonus all round..

I notice Chris liked and ;laughed; at your post calling me a goose, maybe i will just laugh next time he hits the reports button crying someone called him a name,  !! 

Cal x.

We know someone who was on Escape to the Country, like you she was treated so well for the week. She decided not to move, as was on her own and realised because of the show the move wasn't right for her. We watch the show, enjoy the scenery, and enjoy criticising the houses.

• Like 2