Anyone renewed their Aus passport in UK recently?

Quoll

Just wondering whether anyone had recently had to renew their Aussie passports in UK recently and, if so, how long did they take?  The website says 3-7 weeks but that seems a long time given that my UK one was renewed last week in 3 days.  The DH and I both have our interviews this week in London and I'm pretty sure we have allowed enough time to fly out on 3 April but you never can tell I guess.

3 hours ago, Quoll said:

Just wondering whether anyone had recently had to renew their Aussie passports in UK recently and, if so, how long did they take?  The website says 3-7 weeks but that seems a long time given that my UK one was renewed last week in 3 days.  The DH and I both have our interviews this week in London and I'm pretty sure we have allowed enough time to fly out on 3 April but you never can tell I guess.

Last time it was very quick, but I guess they are covering themselves

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blondie said:

We did it last year, interviews at Australia house and then it took about 10 days to arrive in the post.  Be prepared to queue outside on the street though before you are allowed into Aus house before your allocated time slot.

Thanks, they’ve told us to get there 15 minutes early which might be indicative of a queue. I will take all my knives out of my bag before I go! (I guess one doesn’t need 4 pocket knives, no matter how cute or useful!)

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Thanks, they’ve told us to get there 15 minutes early which might be indicative of a queue. I will take all my knives out of my bag before I go! (I guess one doesn’t need 4 pocket knives, no matter how cute or useful!)

I just got really antsy ...  but while sat waiting I had a lightbulb moment of realisation that I find it difficult to conform and therefore NSW drove me slightly mad with the beauracracy ?

• Like 1

Just picked up on this thread and wondered if anyone else has renewed passports in a similar situation.  My wife and I were both permanent residents (living in Australia) when our two children were born in Australia in 2000/2001.  They obviously have Australian birth certificates.  We became Aus citizens in 2003, but decided to move back to UK in 2016.  Our sons are looking at doing a trip back to Aus to visit friends so I was just looking at renewing their passports.  Going round in circles looking at the forms, but it states you have to prove your Australian Citizenship when your children were born - we weren't citizens then but Permanent Residents. Any clarification anyone could give would be hugely appreciated as my brain is now officially fried !!!!

9 hours ago, newjez said:

Check the people who can witness. It's much tougher than the UK. I got the same person that does our UK ones, and she was rejected. So I had to make the trip twice.

Argh, don’t think I need a witness, it’s a straightforward renewal. Rushes off to check because I don’t know anyone who can sign off on it.

28 minutes ago, newjez said:

Still think you need a witness on your signature. And they do contact them and check.

If you are renewing a passport, you have to send in the old expired one with it.

So they know it is you, your photo and signature is in the old passport too.

So I don't think they should need all that for a renewal.

2 hours ago, Parley said:

If you are renewing a passport, you have to send in the old expired one with it.

So they know it is you, your photo and signature is in the old passport too.

So I don't think they should need all that for a renewal.

I didn't go up to London twice for the fun of it parley.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Parley said:

Has your passport already expired Quoll ?

Nope, 18 April. So theoretically I could fly on it on 3 April and get it done at the Post Office in Canberra but it should be straightforward- just the old passport and photos (and clear out my handbag!). There’s nowhere for a witness.

Edited by Quoll

6 hours ago, Quoll said:

Nope, 18 April. So theoretically I could fly on it on 3 April and get it done at the Post Office in Canberra but it should be straightforward- just the old passport and photos (and clear out my handbag!). There’s nowhere for a witness.

Yes you could do that.

You don't need 6 months validity on an Australian passport. You can use it to expiry date.

3 hours ago, Parley said:

Yes you could do that.

You don't need 6 months validity on an Australian passport. You can use it to expiry date.

If I screw up on Thursday that’s what I will do. The DH needs his renewed 8 April so, theoretically he could do it too, and save ourselves £60 each (overseas lodgement fee)

5 minutes ago, paulswin said:

I’m a bit confused we have Australian passports but are moving back to the uk later this year when ours expire can we not easily renew them in the uk like we do here in Oz when we renew our uk ones - never know when we might need them again!

Reading the palaver above I’d say no it won’t be easy. Sounds a right pain. I’ll be the same I think, a trip to London it sounds like. A piece of fine Australian red tape......

On 19/02/2018 at 22:11, blondie said:

We did it last year, interviews at Australia house and then it took about 10 days to arrive in the post.  Be prepared to queue outside on the street though before you are allowed into Aus house before your allocated time slot.

Can you not just renew them online?  Like I had to do our UK ones from Oz

No. Read the info above where people are now having to travel to London for renewals.

Yup, it was very straightforward but the security getting into Australia House was very stringent (they did allow my knitting needles!). While I was waiting, about 75% of the people fronting up had the wrong dimensions for photos and they have a “little man” across the road who knows the right sizes. My pics and my DH’s were fine (good local Mr Snappy!). Took about 5-10 minutes for straightforward no problems and cost more than 3 times as much as my recently renewed UK one with 2-3 weeks delivery as opposed to 3 days.

It’s more of a palaver if your old pp is long expired
  • Like 1

I had mine renewed in Leeds York’s.they go on the road occasionally Manchester Liverpool and other cities ,of course you have to make an appointment took about 2 weeks to come through Ideal if you live in the north

Really?! That’s handy for Northerners. I haven’t seen it advertised. How long did the passport take after the appointment?

28 minutes ago, ellawash said:

As I said about 2 weeks that was May 2017,ring the Australia high comm and ask them if they have any future plans for northern venues

I don’t need one, I went to London last week - sorry, I thought you meant the appointment took 2 weeks to come through. Ours was 3 weeks to appointment and hopefully next week the passports will arrive.