Visa 489 - Best Practices, Tips, Advice, Do's & Dont's

KPG

Apply for the TFN once you are resident in Australia. Not while on your validation trip. Its easy to do once you actually move here. 

Up to you re the bank account. We opted for a joint one. I think my husband had his own also for a while when he was self employed to ensure things didn't get mixed up and record keeping was a lot easier to manage. 

I don't recall carrying anything tbh. I guess its down to you as it will depend what sort of things you will want to do. Perhaps a letter from a landlord to recommend you as tenants (but honestly, not sure if these are really worth anything or not once here, I really don't know). Copy of your visa grant letters in full, including heading and CO signature would be advisable for Medicare sign up (again, do once you actually move here not before). 

You are only here for a week. There really isn't much to do other than check out a few sights, hire a car and get your bearings a bit from wherever it is you are staying. The Adelaide area sprawls for a long way up and down the coast and areas will vary greatly. Stop by the CBD for a day out... Lunch, museums, wander the Botanic Gardens, visit the Central Market and so on. 

34 minutes ago, KPG said:

Hello,

We finally have got our grant and have a few questions that need clarifications:

We plan to do our first entry and stay there for a week and return back to ADL permanently by the end of the year and would like to know:

- Do we register / apply for TFN during our first visit or once we move permanently?

- What is recommended, to have one joint account for spouse and myself or better to have two separate accounts? (keeping in mind individual credit score)

- What documents (hard copies)do you think we should carry with us that can be useful?

- What should we cover / do in our first visit, any tips or do's and dont's ?

Thank you,

Congrats dear !! 

It’s really upto u when u want to apply tfn. It comes to u in mail after 15 days or more 

Again it’s your own decision. How u want it your bank account 

visa grant ,passport ,drivers license 

try to loook around as it will be your home country .. 

now I have one question plz if u count answer !! 

Do we lodge eoi and nomination for 489 together ???

5 minutes ago, snifter said:

Apply for the TFN once you are resident in Australia. Not while on your validation trip. Its easy to do once you actually move here. 

Up to you re the bank account. We opted for a joint one. I think my husband had his own also for a while when he was self employed to ensure things didn't get mixed up and record keeping was a lot easier to manage. 

I don't recall carrying anything tbh. I guess its down to you as it will depend what sort of things you will want to do. Perhaps a letter from a landlord to recommend you as tenants (but honestly, not sure if these are really worth anything or not once here, I really don't know). Copy of your visa grant letters in full, including heading and CO signature would be advisable for Medicare sign up (again, do once you actually move here not before). 

You are only here for a week. There really isn't much to do other than check out a few sights, hire a car and get your bearings a bit from wherever it is you are staying. The Adelaide area sprawls for a long way up and down the coast and areas will vary greatly. Stop by the CBD for a day out... Lunch, museums, wander the Botanic Gardens, visit the Central Market and so on. 

As usual @snifter to my rescue.. Thank you once again for taking the time and replying.

3 minutes ago, Newhope said:

Congrats dear !! 

It’s really upto u when u want to apply tfn. It comes to u in mail after 15 days or more 

Again it’s your own decision. How u want it your bank account 

visa grant ,passport ,drivers license 

try to loook around as it will be your home country .. 

now I have one question plz if u count answer !! 

Do we lodge eoi and nomination for 489 together ???

thank you @Newhope.. regarding your question well I am not the best to comment on it as my application was done by an agent but yes my EOI and State Nomination were filed on the same day.

1 minute ago, KPG said:

thank you @Newhope.. regarding your question well I am not the best to comment on it as my application was done by an agent but yes my EOI and State Nomination were filed on the same day.

Thank u buddy .. u gave me my answer .. what is your occupation and which state u going ??

1 minute ago, Newhope said:

Thank u buddy .. u gave me my answer .. what is your occupation and which state u going ??

Most welcome @Newhope I am happy I could be of help.. I applied under 511112 Project Administrator sponsored by SA but now I think this occupation has moved to low demand (red)

59 minutes ago, KPG said:

What about you @Newhope where do you stand with your application? Wish you all the best.

We are about to lodge eoi for motor mechanic in nsw .. my migration agent wants to lodge nomination and eoi together .. waiting for few documents and then we go !! 

Tyank u buddy .. wish u good luck for your trip 

4 minutes ago, Newhope said:

We are about to lodge eoi for motor mechanic in nsw .. my migration agent wants to lodge nomination and eoi together .. waiting for few documents and then we go !! 

Thank you @Newhope and wish you the same.. hope it all works our for you as planned.

On 31/05/2018 at 18:42, Newhope said:

We are about to lodge eoi for 489 next week with 55 points plus 10 if we get nominated.occupation is motor mechanic .. we going for nsw 

pls reply .. is there any chance of invitation.. 

I also want to apply for NSW I have to apply EOI and nomination together. 

On 04/06/2018 at 18:31, Newhope said:

Hi Newhope, may I ask for which region you are going to apply . Thank you. 

6 hours ago, Mohammed said:

Hi Newhope, may I ask for which region you are going to apply . Thank you. 

Hey dear ,, 

we are actually waiting for our migration agent to go through our documents, then only he will lodge it both together !! We have hired MA.

it will be my MA DECISION to choose the region for us .. I will update u once it’s done .. 

we have lodged 190 too , that was lodged last Friday for nsw !! 

12 hours ago, Newhope said:

Hey dear ,, 

we are actually waiting for our migration agent to go through our documents, then only he will lodge it both together !! We have hired MA.

it will be my MA DECISION to choose the region for us .. I will update u once it’s done .. 

we have lodged 190 too , that was lodged last Friday for nsw !! 

Thank you for your respose.

Hi everyone,

Hoping someone can help with my query. I am applying for a 489 Skilled Visa for Health Promotion in Queensland. As some of you will be aware VETASSESS deducts a year for training to the appropriate skill level. Therefore, although i have been in the same job for 3.1 years (at time of assessment), i was only deemed skilled for 2.1 years. When i originally filled out my EOI I only put down the time frame deemed 'skilled' by VETASSESS for my relevant work experience in the role i was assessed for. I also included other jobs i've held (part time/during university etc) but marked them all 'not relevant'  So, i have a year missing from my work history (the year not deemed skilled in current role). I've realised that i should have included that 'non relevant' year but at the time, i wasn't sure how to include it (i.e. how can I include the same job title at same company twice).  Now i have an invitation and so cannot edit or change this. I haven't been allocated any points for my work experience at all (as its less than 3 years) and i am therefore not overclaiming any points. However, if i include this 'not relevant' work experience in my visa application will this be an issue? Does anyone have any experience of this? I know its up to me at the end of the day if i submit or not but would be good to know others experience.

Any help appreciated.

The only thing with applying for your TFN is you need an address to receive it. I applied for my TFN in 2014 and they would only send it to an actual building address in oz.

Individual accounts with a joint savings account would be a good idea. Commonwealth bank is probably the best.

Depending on what you intend to do in your week, take all important documents. Never know what you might need in any case. 

Mobile phone contracts are super expensive for what you get compared to here in the UK. Wildcard company I've used since 2014 'Amaysim' are a budget brand that has always been great all over oz in my own opinion. They're the comparison to Three in the UK. But don't have stores etc so need to apply online. Tonnes cheaper than most other companies.

Job searching would be a great idea, so take all CVs and certs out with you. 

Hire a car and explore neighborhoods in the area your thinking of living. 

Apply for a state drivers license. The whole process is pretty quick if you have a UK license.

Search cost of suitable vehicles in your area, or even purchase it and store it somewhere for your return. Buying cars in oz is a breeze. 

thank you @woody2709

16 hours ago, woody2709 said:

Individual accounts with a joint savings account would be a good idea. Commonwealth bank is probably the best.

yes have opened two joint accounts one with NAB and CB both based on strong recommendations.

Mobile phone contracts are super expensive for what you get compared to here in the UK

will be going in for a basic prepaid Telstra card with a data package as I think I will be using more of data than calls.

Hire a car and explore neighborhoods in the area your thinking of living. 

Absolutely.

Apply for a state drivers license. The whole process is pretty quick if you have a UK license.

I think i can do that only once I move permanently as wont have the time to work on it .. Dont have a UK license.

7 hours ago, HardcoreZ said:

Hey people apply 489 visa 20 may now waiting time start. Just wondering what’s thewaiting time currently for 489?Thanx

if i am not mistaken it is 5 months for 75% of the applications and go upto maximum of 8 months. It all depends on how complete your submission is and if they dont have any queries then should be straight forward. A few of my friends got it in 3 months. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question on state nominated 489.. in order to be eligible for a PR one has to show at least 1 year full time employment in the fist 2 years so can one:

- own and run a business as a partner?

- be a franchise owner?

Would that be considered as full time employment?

Thank you.