Visa 489 - Best Practices, Tips, Advice, Do's & Dont's

KPG

Hello Forum..

This topic is mainly for 489 visa applicants, i.e. those in the process of applying or have already applied and received a grant or are / have already landed in SA. 

Migrating is not easy as it requires a lot of planning, courage to make things work out as desired. Moving with a family with young children is not easy and when the time eventually comes one develops cold feet and is lost in transition as there are load's of things to keep in mind.

Here I would request all applicants to share their thoughts on some of the best practices, lessons learnt, tips, do's and don't's that are to be followed during:

• the application process 
  • after grant is received
  • pre-landing preparations 
  • post landing  experiences and lessons learnt

This would definitely help a lot of migrants who have many thoughts and questions going on in their mind and it would be great to lend our moral support to who ever needs it :)

Thank you all and I hope you all take the time to contribute as this forum has been stupendous in helping others! ;) God bless and all the best to all those who have migrated or planning to migrate.

• Like 4

Let me start off with my experience on VETASSESS. 

I applied under the skilled migration (visa 489) under the job code ANZSCO 511112 for a Project Administrator and had requested for a priority screening by paying an extra fee. I opted for a priority screening as the assessment results are shared within 10 days instead of the usual 2 or 3  months and my age factor was a concern as well so I did not want to loose points on that.

The application was lodged with VETASSESS and I received a call from VETASSESS for verification and to my bad luck the call got disconnected in less than 40 seconds, this happened twice. My agent received a communication from VETASSESS saying that the application could not be processed and instead to apply under the normal screening. I had kept my agent informed about the technical glitch that I faced during the call and they managed to convince VETASSESS for another round of screening instead of relaunching the application and they willingly obliged.

The second time the same saga, the calls disconnected and would not last for more that 40 to 50 seconds but I made sure i passed on the message to the assessing agent about the glitch who in return send me their contact number via email so I could call them and then it went through well.

Had I not pursued this then my application would not have made it in time for State Nomination as my job code moved to RED.

So do not give up and keep going!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, maanz6090 said:

I lodged my file 489 SA on dec 15
Uploaded all the docs
Status is received till date
Wonder when it will b chnged to asessing

@maanz6090 I lodged mine 9 days after your, I am not sure what the status is as its managed by my agent. Did you submit your PCC and Health reports? 

All the best!

Has any one used the Settlement Support services mentioned on the SA government website? http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/live-work/working-here/skilled-arrival-services

http://migration.sa.gov.au/support-services/settlement-support-services

They provide meet and greet service among many other services and I wonder if any one has used it and how beneficial was it?

image.png.ded70fd1837fcd000bc8db5cbeb66c83.png

Hi

We're hoping to apply for a 489 Family sponsored visa (my brother is and Australian Citizen living in Perth), according to the Govt website 60 points is still sufficient, do you know if this is the case? I've heard otherwise they are only inviting 75-80 point applicants...  Also are the designated areas the same for state sponsored and family sponsored?  The page I found states all post codes in WA.  Some clarity would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/489-?modal=/visas/supporting/Pages/skilled/designated-area-of-australia.aspx

Thanks very much.

15 hours ago, CVS said:

according to the Govt website 60 points is still sufficient, do you know if this is the case? I've heard otherwise they are only inviting 75-80 point applicants..

Hi @CVS well to my understanding is 60 points is good enough and the state will also give you an addition of 10 points so that will boost your points to 70,  I believe it should not be a show stopper.

Please also follow the List of State Nominated Occupations, in my case i applied under SA and the occupation list demand keep changing and if your occupation codes is flagged in RED then probably you would need to meet additional conditions. http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/skilled-migrants/lists-of-state-nominated-occupations

See which state suits you the most. http://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/489-?modal=/visas/supporting/pages/489/state-territory-gov-websites.aspx

15 hours ago, CVS said:

Also are the designated areas the same for state sponsored and family sponsored?  The page I found states all post codes in WA.  Some clarity would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry dont want to mislead you on it as i am not sure as most of the leg work for me was done by my agent.

I am tagging some of the forum members may be in a better position to answer.

@Nia @SUPERSTARDJ01 @rammygirl @Nemesis  can you please add your two bits on the query raised by @CVS   Thank you!

All the best!

Edited by KPG
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your input, it's much appreciated.  I just wish we could eek another 10 points from somewhere but we've only just managed to scrape the 60... Fingers crossed and if anyone else has any bright ideas I'd love to hear from you! 

Have a great day and may all our Aussie dreams come true!

29 minutes ago, KPG said:

Also look into state sponsored as that will broaden your options and will be a faster process. @CVS

We're exploring that at the moment...a much more circuitous route to get to where my family are but it's one we're willing to travel!

3 minutes ago, CVS said:

We're exploring that at the moment...a much more circuitous route to get to where my family are but it's one we're willing to travel!

But keep in mind that there could be chances of your application being rejected as one of my fried experienced it. He has his sibling residing in Victoria and applied under state nomination in SA and was rejected saying that there would be chances he wont reside in Victoria instead of SA. 

It would be good to consult an agent as well. All the best and I hope you figure out your options soon.

4 hours ago, KPG said:

But keep in mind that there could be chances of your application being rejected as one of my fried experienced it. He has his sibling residing in Victoria and applied under state nomination in SA and was rejected saying that there would be chances he wont reside in Victoria instead of SA. 

It would be good to consult an agent as well. All the best and I hope you figure out your options soon.

Thank you, we have an agent on board, I'm just trying to figure out options!

My timeline is below, still waiting fro grant:

VETASSESS - Screening  17-Oct-17
VETASSESS - Positive Outcome 6-Nov-17
EOI & State Nomination Lodged 7-Nov-17
ITA Received 23-Nov-17
Visa Application Lodged 24-Dec-17
Health Check Done & PCC 31-Dec-17

• 2 weeks later...

ACS - Outcome                                      18-August-17

EOI & State Nomination Lodged         20-August-17

ITA Received                                28-August-17

Visa Application Lodged      12-September-17

Health Check Done & PCC   15-Sep-17

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2018 at 09:00, varun410 said:

ACS - Outcome                                      18-August-17

EOI & State Nomination Lodged         20-August-17

ITA Received                                28-August-17

Visa Application Lodged      12-September-17

Health Check Done & PCC   15-Sep-17

@varun410 grant received?

On 3/4/2018 at 10:18, KPG said:

My timeline is below, still waiting fro grant:

VETASSESS - Screening  17-Oct-17
VETASSESS - Positive Outcome 6-Nov-17
EOI & State Nomination Lodged 7-Nov-17
ITA Received 23-Nov-17
Visa Application Lodged 24-Dec-17
Health Check Done & PCC 31-Dec-17

An update on my time line.. in addition to the above..

CO contacted with additional clarification questions  20-March-2018

Replied back to CO  21-March-2018

Still waiting, not heard back from the CO

Hi I'm new to the site, a bit of background. I lodged an EOI for a 189 back in Dec with only 60 points and have just completed EOI for 489 with family sponsorship 70 points. My relative lives in Queensland in a designated area, we want to be based in Victoria. I didn't see anywhere on the EOI to state this, have I missed something? Thanks in advance for any advice!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

We finally have got our grant and have a few questions that need clarifications:

We plan to do our first entry and stay there for a week and return back to ADL permanently by the end of the year and would like to know:

- Do we register / apply for TFN during our first visit or once we move permanently?

- What is recommended, to have one joint account for spouse and myself or better to have two separate accounts? (keeping in mind individual credit score)

- What documents (hard copies)do you think we should carry with us that can be useful?

- What should we cover / do in our first visit, any tips or do's and dont's ?

Thank you,