Skilled visa 189 help

michaelc17

Hi Guys, 

I have started looking at getting a skilled workers visa, ( Independent preferably) 

I am a qualified carpenter with an estimated 55 points. 

I understand i have to take an English test to boost the points over the threshold. Basically looking for advice on the best approach from people with similar experience. Is it best to do the application myself or through and agent? whats the stages of applying? I`m assuming sitting the English test is the first port of call? 

Any advice greatly appreciated. 

It is doable yourself if you have the time and are organised but 55 points is not enough. The minimum requirement is 60 points and skill select doesn't appear to be calling anyone with less than 70 forward at the moment.

Before spending any money, I would speak to some agents as most offer an initial consultation free and won't take your money if your chances are slim.

You could also talk to the Down Under Centre as they are involved with carpenter skills assessments in the UK.  

2 minutes ago, Jsmull87 said:

It is doable yourself if you have the time and are organised but 55 points is not enough. The minimum requirement is 60 points and skill select doesn't appear to be calling anyone with less than 70 forward at the moment.

Before spending any money, I would speak to some agents as most offer an initial consultation free and won't take your money if your chances are slim.

You could also talk to the Down Under Centre as they are involved with carpenter skills assessments in the UK.  

Thanks for the quick reply, 

I have done an initial assessment with an agent and they came back with 55 points, they said i am eligible but would probably need to sit an English test at some point during the application. I would like to go through an agent to make it easier but at the same time would like to save myself £2500! They also said it could take up to 14 months, is that about right? I was hoping it would be quicker than that. 

Thanks 

It can take that long but something smells a bit off. The number of points required for a 189 is 60. Check out this link and perhaps do your own sums.

http://www.visabureau.com/australia/immigration-points-test.aspx

Also shop around MARA registered agents for price and advice. You will have to sit an english test at some point but make sure everything stacks up before parting with your money.

• Thanks 1

After three visas and then citizenship and a LONG time advising on the forum, I highly recommend using an agent. Just make sure they are MARA registered. 

The legnth of time quoted may be right. At the moment no one regardless of occupation is being invited with 65 points and the won't change until July. 

• Thanks 1

It depends on how straightforward your application is. I done mine without an agent but mine was easy - only had to prove 3 years employment with the same employer, English test, skills assessment.
You can start the ball rolling with the skills assessment - find out who would do your assessment (for me I used the AASW for social work - there's different ones - google it to see if you can find out). Have a look to see what you need to provide to have your skills assessed and see if you can get the info together.
You can sit the IELTS test before applying but beware that it's then only valid for 2 years so check processing times. I would advise that you do some preparation for this to familiarise yourself with the tests before you sit it.
As the previous poster indicates - 60 points is enough for an application but may mean it will take longer for them to process - worth checking this out to see if you need to aim for a higher score in the English test.
You don't mention if you are applying for just you or a partner and/or children - you will also need to provide evidence of your relationship for each additional person on your application.
Hope this helps a little - it's been a while since I done my application. At the time I applied with 65 points and was processed and completed within 5 months. Not sure of current processing times. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

After three visas and then citizenship and a LONG time advising on the forum, I highly recommend using an agent. Just make sure they are MARA registered. 

The legnth of time quoted may be right. At the moment no one regardless of occupation is being invited with 65 points and the won't change until July. 

Thanks! I`ll grudgingly use an agent in that case! 

Is the 65 points still the case for a state nominated visa? If i can`t get the independent visa would this be an easier option? 

5 minutes ago, louise7981 said:

It depends on how straightforward your application is. I done mine without an agent but mine was easy - only had to prove 3 years employment with the same employer, English test, skills assessment.
You can start the ball rolling with the skills assessment - find out who would do your assessment (for me I used the AASW for social work - there's different ones - google it to see if you can find out). Have a look to see what you need to provide to have your skills assessed and see if you can get the info together.
You can sit the IELTS test before applying but beware that it's then only valid for 2 years so check processing times. I would advise that you do some preparation for this to familiarise yourself with the tests before you sit it.
As the previous poster indicates - 60 points is enough for an application but may mean it will take longer for them to process - worth checking this out to see if you need to aim for a higher score in the English test.
You don't mention if you are applying for just you or a partner and/or children - you will also need to provide evidence of your relationship for each additional person on your application.
Hope this helps a little - it's been a while since I done my application. At the time I applied with 65 points and was processed and completed within 5 months. Not sure of current processing times. Good luck!

Thanks a lot! Hopefully mines is as straightforward as yours but with me being self employed and also having lived in New Zealand for 2 years, i`ll have a lot more evidence to gather. :( 

My partner will be on my visa but with her not having a qualification in her line of work, i don`t think she will bring points to the table? 

Thanks again! :) 

7 minutes ago, DukeNinja said:

Is it 55 points without the language test? If so, then the ball is in your court to maximise your language test points. Ideally 20 points should catapult you to the frontish of the EOI invites queue.

yes mate 55 points without the test! better start studying haha

Lol. Defo mate. There's a really good thread about IELTS vs PTE, might be worth having a read.

By all means consult a MARA approved agent initially to discuss your case, and if there are complexities such as medical issues, criminal histories etc, then the agents will be your best bet to get through this unscathed.

However, if your case is straightforward, then there is nothing stopping you from applying yourself. You could always re-enlist the services of an agent later on if you reach a roadblock.

I would do the language test first, in order to get the 20 points in the bag (around £160ish). Once that's definite, then I would proceed with the skills assessment (anywhere between £600-4000).

Good luck and keep us posted.

• Like 2