Stuck forever in Oz...

Beckfield

Hi everyone, well we have now officially given up on ever selling the house.  We did everything conceivably possible to sell it but nothing achieved a sale.  It seems we are stuck here.   "Devastated" doesn't even begin to describe how we feel.  We reduced it several times, it presented really well, did the gardens, on a double block, etc etc etc etc but it's in a country town where "slow" doesn't even begin to describe the real estate market.  If we reduce it further we won't be able to afford a house in England, so there's no point.  To be honest I feel like hibernating and licking my wounds, but wanted to relay our situation as so many people on this site have been very helpful and supportive.  Short of a miracle happening it seems we'll be stuck here for the rest of our lives.  It would be very easy to swear right now, but I'll refrain...    

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I'm very sorry to hear. 

Are you going to leave it on the market anyways? In case someone comes along in the future. 

If you did reduce the price more and didn't make as much on it, could you consider other perhaps more affordable areas of the UK in which to settle? Or did you have your mind on somewhere specific in the UK? I have no idea where you were looking to move to so it may be its already on the cheaper end of the scale but if not, it may be worth investigating options and how far you could reduce. 

Thanks for your comments snifter.  Yes, we won't take it off the market, I suppose because there's always that slither of hope that someone might come along who wants it...  We were intending to relocate to North Yorkshire, which is where we're from.  As you'd be aware relocation expenses are high, and we'd decided to sell all furniture etc, but we were going to take our 2 animals with us because they're "family members".   Someone said to me it's our own fault as we could have gone years ago, but we had very elderly parents and weren't prepared to leave them, which I don't regret at all.  C'est la vie...:(.  

• Like 1

Where is this town that you live in? Is it a tiny place? 

If it's a real town with shops, schools, businesses etc then there must be some sort of real estate market. Are other properties selling in the area? Or is it just yours that has been sitting there with no interest?

Absolutely everything will sell at the right price, regardless of location and condition. 

Maybe you need to cut your losses, sell the house for whatever you can get and move on?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beckfield said:

Hi everyone, well we have now officially given up on ever selling the house.  We did everything conceivably possible to sell it but nothing achieved a sale.  It seems we are stuck here.   "Devastated" doesn't even begin to describe how we feel.  We reduced it several times, it presented really well, did the gardens, on a double block, etc etc etc etc but it's in a country town where "slow" doesn't even begin to describe the real estate market.  If we reduce it further we won't be able to afford a house in England, so there's no point.  To be honest I feel like hibernating and licking my wounds, but wanted to relay our situation as so many people on this site have been very helpful and supportive.  Short of a miracle happening it seems we'll be stuck here for the rest of our lives.  It would be very easy to swear right now, but I'll refrain...    

Any chance you can rent it out?

I'm guessing it's in a mining town?

I would certainly advise that you look into renting.  The rental market can be slow, too, but because rentals are so scarce in country towns, you can often get quite a good rent return. 

Is there only one real estate agent in the town?  Have you tried a different agent?  

I know it's a strange idea to go back to Yorkshire and rent instead of buying, but if you're getting rental payments on your Australian home, then they can go towards paying rent in Yorkshire.  Renting may not be something you'd prefer to do, but if it's a choice between renting in the UK and living in your own house in Australia, which one would you choose?   

The house will sell eventually and it may even sell better if it has a good tenant in it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

Would you be able to rent it out and move somewhere you might enjoy living more and rent somewhere there?

Yes, that's occurred to us too Drumbeat.  Our heart was set on going back to England though.  We are realising we will have to rethink our plans.  

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I would certainly advise that you look into renting.  The rental market can be slow, too, but because rentals are so scarce in country towns, you can often get quite a good rent return. 

Is there only one real estate agent in the town?  Have you tried a different agent?  

I know it's a strange idea to go back to Yorkshire and rent instead of buying, but if you're getting rental payments on your Australian home, then they can go towards paying rent in Yorkshire.  Renting may not be something you'd prefer to do, but if it's a choice between renting in the UK and living in your own house in Australia, which one would you choose?   

The house will sell eventually and it may even sell better if it has a good tenant in it.  

Interesting thought Marisawright.  We have put it for sale with both agents in the town.  I hadn't thought of renting it out and still going to UK but renting a house there.  The house is nice - large, neat, clean, tidy, on 1/2 an acre.  Neutral decor, all that....  no idea why it won't sell.  We've reduced it, it's in the best location in town, there's no work needed and according to agent it's underpriced now.  Doesn't make any sense to me.  :mad:  Appreciate your input.  Thanks.  

2 hours ago, NickyNook said:

Where is this town that you live in? Is it a tiny place? 

If it's a real town with shops, schools, businesses etc then there must be some sort of real estate market. Are other properties selling in the area? Or is it just yours that has been sitting there with no interest?

Absolutely everything will sell at the right price, regardless of location and condition. 

Maybe you need to cut your losses, sell the house for whatever you can get and move on?

It's not super tiny NickyNook but yes, small.  There are some homes that have sold, including one derelict old dump that the buyer is going to demolish and build a new house there.  We were amazed that they never looked at our place, as the price they paid wasn't that far below our asking price.  It's as if ours is invisible. 

8 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

We left our house in Oz on the market and made the move back. It was no hassle when it eventually sold. It just means a trip to London to get the paperwork stamped  at Australia House. 

Hi Verystormy, Thanks for your comments, but where did you live until the funds from the same came through?    We don't have any surviving family there now except for one brother who lives several hours' drive from NY and because of living on different continents for so many decades, we barely know... We are entirely reliant on the funds from the sale.  

4 hours ago, Beckfield said:

It's not super tiny NickyNook but yes, small.  There are some homes that have sold, including one derelict old dump that the buyer is going to demolish and build a new house there.  We were amazed that they never looked at our place, as the price they paid wasn't that far below our asking price.  It's as if ours is invisible. 

You could post a link on here if the mods allow?, someone might be looking for such a place, and we could give constructive feedback.

2 hours ago, Beckfield said:

Hi Verystormy, Thanks for your comments, but where did you live until the funds from the same came through?    We don't have any surviving family there now except for one brother who lives several hours' drive from NY and because of living on different continents for so many decades, we barely know... We are entirely reliant on the funds from the sale.  

We rented and still are. The house sold but because of the economic downturn in WA the house sale didn't give us any cash. So, currently saving for a deposit. 

Outside of the south east renting is fairly reasonable. We have a nice country cottage in a picture postcard village for £500 a month. 

6 hours ago, Beckfield said:

I think it might be worth posting a link to your internet listing here, and asking people for feedback.   It's not really giving too much away and you never know, we may be able to offer some helpful advice.

Are people coming through to view, or are you getting no enquiries at all?  

10 hours ago, Beckfield said:

Yes, that's occurred to us too Drumbeat.  Our heart was set on going back to England though.  We are realising we will have to rethink our plans.  

Never give up, it's a goal that is well worth fighting for and you won't regret it when you get here. Keep your chin up and don't give up. As others have suggested have a look at renting. 

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I think it might be worth posting a link to your internet listing here, and asking people for feedback.   It's not really giving too much away and you never know, we may be able to offer some helpful advice.

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Well the market here is slow, as I said, but we've had it for sale now for 8 months and there have only been a few viewers - and I'm almost certain some were just nosy locals.   Yet the number of "page visits" on the online real estate page is enormous.  

10 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

We rented and still are. The house sold but because of the economic downturn in WA the house sale didn't give us any cash. So, currently saving for a deposit. 

Outside of the south east renting is fairly reasonable. We have a nice country cottage in a picture postcard village for £500 a month. 

Sounds great.  And they let you have your little dog there? 

6 hours ago, bristolman said:

Never give up, it's a goal that is well worth fighting for and you won't regrI et it when you get here. Keep your chin up and don't give up. As others have suggested have a look at renting. 

Thanks for the encouragement bristolman.  My spirits have plummeted I'm afraid but you're right, we have to keep hoping.  I think when your house takes so long to sell you feel as though you're in limbo and everything is on hold.  I don't feel as if it's going to happen at all now.  We're kind of resigned to that depressing fact.  Hope against hope we're wrong. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Beckfield said:

Well the market here is slow, as I said, but we've had it for sale now for 8 months and there have only been a few viewers - and I'm almost certain some were just nosy locals.   Yet the number of "page visits" on the online real estate page is enormous.  

In that case, I'd certainly suggest you share a link to the real estate page here.   I'm wondering if the photos or text are not selling the property effectively.  If you don't want to share it on the forum, send me a link in a private message.

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

In that case, I'd certainly suggest you share a link to the real estate page here.   I'm wondering if the photos or text are not selling the property effectively.  If you don't want to share it on the forum, send me a link in a private message.

I wasn't aware there is a real estate page here.  How do I send you a private message?  I'm not terribly savvy technologically.  Can you outline steps?  Thanks!

3 hours ago, Beckfield said:

I wasn't aware there is a real estate page here.  How do I send you a private message?  I'm not terribly savvy technologically.  Can you outline steps?  Thanks!

I'm sorry ...there isn't - we only allow free advertising for lease breaks and not house sales.  

4 hours ago, Beckfield said:

Sorry, I realise that wasn't clear. I meant to copy the link to YOUR advert on realestate.com.au or wherever it is, and post it in this forum.  Then we can check it out.