Why do people emigrate to Australia?

Bungeye

7 hours ago, snifter said:

I totally migrated to Australia so I could catch crocs. 

It was on my bucket list. As was shark diving and snake catching. 

Oddly, after almost 5 years here, not achieved any of them xD

A beaut pommie family joined me a few years ago and saw a big croc. This beaut chappie.5a87c71c02fbf_KeepCroc.jpg.97c0a6a18be211324d1f485b7032ad7c.jpg

Off again in late August up to the Keep River in far north western NT., if you want to join me and Jo,@snifterChuck in a dingo, or two as well, snake catching is ok, too. Maybe a few bush bulls to liven things up a bit...A few Aboriginal rock paintings along the Gibb River Road. Barra fishing is the main thingo...Of course.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Booma said:

it isn't hot in winter & don't dismiss it till you try it. It is incredibly interesting & have never seen anything more beautiful 

I agree have been to Birdsville twice, been on the top of the Big Red at sunset, simply stunning, and was in the desert after a good  rain fall and saw the desert in full bloom, an amazing sight. Have travelled round lots of Australia, and love the diversity of the country.

We retired to Australia to because we wanted to experience living here, after living in Brunei, and weren't ready to go back to UK. 15 years later we ain't leaving this great country.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ramot said:

I agree have been to Birdsville twice, been on the top of the Big Red at sunset, simply stunning, and was in the desert after a good  rain fall and saw the desert in full bloom, an amazing sight. Have travelled round lots of Australia, and love the diversity of the country.

We retired to Australia to because we wanted to experience living here, after living in Brunei, and weren't ready to go back to UK. 15 years later we ain't leaving this great country.

Ramot, you're posts are always so positive and upbeat - they're a joy to read :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its the adventurer in you that makes you go to new places,

Nothing or nobody can really tell you what its like.  You have to go and try it.

When we went, it was very cheap, pound was strong and there were plenty of jobs to be had -  that's what made us go.

It was okay at first but after a bit we felt it was too isolated and a bit dead for us,  but we don't regret having tried it.

I suppose too the thought of the nice beaches made us want to go...., but like most people the novelty of beaches tends to wear off after a bit and we ended up never going near the beach in the end. 

For a young family looking for nice quiet safe environment for raising kids it would be good, but if you are into nightlife, gigs, clubbing and are young and single, its the last place you should be going to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Home and Happy said:

Nothing or nobody can really tell you what its like.  You have to go and try it.

When we went, it was very cheap, pound was strong and there were plenty of jobs to be had -  that's what made us go.

It was okay at first but after a bit we felt it was too isolated and a bit dead for us,  but we don't regret having tried it.

I suppose too the thought of the nice beaches made us want to go...., but like most people the novelty of beaches tends to wear off after a bit and we ended up never going near the beach in the end. 

For a young family looking for nice quiet safe environment for raising kids it would be good, but if you are into nightlife, gigs, clubbing and are young and single, its the last place you should be going to.

You obviously haven’t been to Australia, unless you only saw the outback

If you like "mountains and snow" then NZ  supplies both and is no further from most parts of OZ than flying to Europe from the UK and of course OZ has its own "mountains and snow" though not as high nor as long winter

I was just trying to think exactly why I came to OZ? I can't remember but I think it was for an adventure - probably the only one I've ever had, and my brothers followed me here - I must ask them why - perhaps my Dad pushed them to follow me.

I was talking to a young Italian guy yesterday arvo, from Turin I think, and I asked him if he was homesick? Then I mentioned the Juve v Spurs and how everybody was rugged up against the bitter cold, and he rolled his eyes.

Personally, I just "live" here and have long ceased getting into pointless "yes it is, no it isn't" arguments about OZ v UK. Most immigrants, from whichever part of the world they come from, settle happily in OZ. Some don't, and so they go home, where they may or may not be happy. If they are not happy and they have not got PR or citizenship, tough ****.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

If you like "mountains and snow" then NZ  supplies both

The bit about mountains and snow was my comment, MR.  I don't need to travel anywhere.  I live on a mountain and Tassie gets plenty of snow.  It's often only 15 minutes away...sometimes outside my front door.  ;-)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skani said:

The bit about mountains and snow was my comment, MR.  I don't need to travel anywhere.  I live on a mountain and Tassie gets plenty of snow.  It's often only 15 minutes away...sometimes outside my front door.  ;-)

Skani I think one of the reasons some posters that make derogatory comments about Australia being all about beaches, boring, all the same etc. haven't perhaps travelled far from their front door. As we are retired we have visited all the states including your lovely  Tasmania, and how anyone can dismiss the variety of the country beats me. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, ramot said:

Skani I think one of the reasons some posters that make derogatory comments about Australia being all about beaches, boring, all the same etc. haven't perhaps travelled far from their front door. As we are retired we have visited all the states including your lovely  Tasmania, and how anyone can dismiss the variety of the country beats me. 

We loved travelling around Tas - we're not beach goers at all and may go once or twice a year to go to sculptures by the sea and generally and meet up picnic with friends.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Home and Happy said:

Well plenty of nights clubs, bars and funky places in Melbourne + all night suburban trains on the weekend. And when you are over that stage it’s the most liveable City in the world. Great for kids, parents and grandparents alike. UK is a great place to come from.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bristolman said:

My family emigrated in 1962, back then the UK was pretty depressing and for many it was a fantastic move. Times have very much changed of course. 

I agree.  I left the UK in 1985.   The economy in Scotland was shot, I couldn't get a permanent job, my oh was working in a really rough school, and we'd spent two whole  years renovating our flat and we were exhausted.  Australia was an escape hatch, and it was everything we'd hoped.  Fantastic job opportunities, good salaries, and a nice lifestyle (though neither of us were beach people).  

The benefits of Australia vs the UK are much more borderline now.   If I were living in the UK with a family, and was facing costs of £40,000 or £50,000 to move to Australia, I wouldn't do it  - I prefer living in Australia, but it's not worth depleting your life savings to that degree IMO.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I agree.  I left the UK in 1985.   The economy in Scotland was shot, I couldn't get a permanent job, my oh was working in a really rough school, and we'd spent two whole  years renovating our flat and we were exhausted.  Australia was an escape hatch, and it was everything we'd hoped.  Fantastic job opportunities, good salaries, and a nice lifestyle (though neither of us were beach people).  

The benefits of Australia vs the UK are much more borderline now.   If I were living in the UK with a family, and was facing costs of £40,000 or £50,000 to move to Australia, I wouldn't do it  - I prefer living in Australia, but it's not worth depleting your life savings to that degree IMO.  

I had a good job in Liverpool (UK) I enjoyed.  Got a transfer from my job in London to Liverpool.  We also spent a lot of time renovating a terraced house.  We were happy enough there - no children so did a lot travelling whenever we could.  Went to London every month or so as MIL lived there and up to Scotland to see my Mum.  We came to Australia in 1981 and I agree with you Marisa about how easy it was to get a good job and a nice flat.  Our first rental was a unit in Neutral Bay with views of Sydney Harbour.  The rent was very easily affordable on our salaries and we saved heaps too.  After a year we moved to Perth - found jobs within a week and bought a block of land at Mullaloo - saved up a bit more and built our first home.  Babies came along and we moved back to Sydney.  It was possible to live on one salary and I didn't go back to work until the youngest started school.  I don't think it's as easy as that anymore but it was possible back then.

We came with a suitcase each as we sold or gave away all our household stuff when we sold the house in the UK.  It would have been a whole different story if we had children though.  I don't know if I would have wanted to come here at all if we had had children in the UK.

15 hours ago, Bulya said:

You obviously haven’t been to Australia, unless you only saw the outback

Too right. No night clubs or gigs at all. Jake went to see Roger Waters 2 weeks ago and is going to Robbie Williams on Tuesday................yeah I know :rolleyes: he's got diverse tastes. The music scene is well alive in Brizzy, and I'm not talking about the aforementioned concerts but the pub/club/live music scene. He says that sometimes he finds it hard to decide where to go as many are on the same nights

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Johndoe said:

Too right. No night clubs or gigs at all. Jake went to see Roger Waters 2 weeks ago and is going to Robbie Williams on Tuesday................yeah I know :rolleyes: he's got diverse tastes. The music scene is well alive in Brizzy, and I'm not talking about the aforementioned concerts but the pub/club/live music scene. He says that sometimes he finds it hard to decide where to go as many are on the same nights

Of course there’s plenty going on.  Far better for young singles here  than stuck in dismal old Blighty 

Edited by Bulya
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2018 at 16:48, Bobj said:

A beaut pommie family joined me a few years ago and saw a big croc. This beaut chappie.5a87c71c02fbf_KeepCroc.jpg.97c0a6a18be211324d1f485b7032ad7c.jpg

Off again in late August up to the Keep River in far north western NT., if you want to join me and Jo,@snifterChuck in a dingo, or two as well, snake catching is ok, too. Maybe a few bush bulls to liven things up a bit...A few Aboriginal rock paintings along the Gibb River Road. Barra fishing is the main thingo...Of course.

Cheers, Bobj.

O I wish I could go. We were planning a camping trip somewhere out in the Flinders ranges in the spring school hols this year. Hoping to get to Wilpena Pound or Lake Eyre if it rains. 

1 hour ago, Zack said:

For the Sunshine. Liker 95 % or immigrants  It proved to be a big Mistake. We look forward to the winter months and hate the summer,

You should have tried out Tasmania.  Lovely long warm (not hot) summers and cold winters though the winters aren't really that bad on the north coast - different in the mountains.  Where I live the daily winter temps vary between 3C and 12C.  Gets to below zero in other areas with snow. 

• Like 1