Why do people emigrate to Australia?

Bungeye

I don't get the reason why the vast majority immigrate to Australia! Australia is an outdoor nation, most being desert and surf. Don't you immigrate to oz so you can take up surfing, beach life saving, crocodile catching. I see so many obese people immigrate to Australia, what's the point! Why immigrate to Australia at all if you don't like doing these things? 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I came to Australia because I met an Australian in the UK - lived there with him for nearly 6 years then we decided to give Australia a go just to see how I liked it I suppose.  Nearly 37 years later we are still here.  I have absolutely no interest in crocodile catching.  :P  Did a lot of body surfing and both our boys were surfers.  None of us are obese by the way.  xD  There are all sorts of reasons for coming to live in Australia.  There are no deserts in Tasmania. 

Edited by Toots
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Bungeye said:

I don't get the reason why the vast majority immigrate to Australia! Australia is an outdoor nation, most being desert and surf. Don't you immigrate to oz so you can take up surfing, beach life saving, crocodile catching. I see so many obese people immigrate to Australia, what's the point! Why immigrate to Australia at all if you don't like doing these things? 

Have you ever been here?

I have no real interest in either and would have to travel many hundreds of miles to see deserts and have no surf.  Not interested much in either of these.

4 minutes ago, Toots said:

I came to Australia because I met an Australian in the UK - lived there with him for nearly 6 years then we decided to give Australia a go just to see how I liked it I suppose.  Nearly 37 years later we are still here.  I have absolutely no interest in crocodile catching.  :P  Did a lot of body surfing and both our boys were surfers.  None of us are obese by the way.  xD  There are all sorts of reasons for coming to live in Australia.  

You don't know what your missing with the crocodile catching ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Bungeye said:

So why have you joined this forum? Just to stir perhaps?>:(

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Bungeye said:

I don't get the reason why the vast majority immigrate to Australia! - They don't .

Australia is an outdoor nation, - some of us like being outdoors

most being desert and surf - Thats just the best bits

. Don't you immigrate to oz so you can take up surfing, beach life saving, crocodile catching- Dont forget Kangaroo spotting, bit like train spotting but with kangaroos

. I see so many obese people immigrate to Australia,- really ? which airport do you sit at watching?

what's the point! - thats an aussie secret, sorry cant tell or the drop bears will ambush me, i made a pact at my cictizenship ceremony.

Why immigrate to Australia at all if you don't like doing these things? - Again, a secret and shouldnt really tell but i wil give you a hint-  theres lotssss of other stuff to do too.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Bungeye said:

Welcome to the forum - Everyone has their own reasons.  Why did you migrate?

5 hours ago, Bungeye said:

If you're trolling, you're a very poor example. For one, the "vast majority" don't immigrate to Australia. 2. I don't think that many immigrants involve themselves in crocodile catching, in fact, even 99.999999 recurring of Aussies don't engage in it. 3 "beach life saving" our beaches are doing very well thank you and don't need saving.  4. Do you sit at airports asking obese people if they are going to Australia? If you do, and they say, "yes" then tell them to try crocodile catching.............they'll soon lose weight via loss of an arm or leg or even experience total weight loss, once submerged under water in a croc intestine

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Toots said:

I came to Australia because I met an Australian in the UK - lived there with him for nearly 6 years then we decided to give Australia a go just to see how I liked it I suppose.  Nearly 37 years later we are still here.  I have absolutely no interest in crocodile catching.  :P  Did a lot of body surfing and both our boys were surfers.  None of us are obese by the way.  xD  There are all sorts of reasons for coming to live in Australia.  There are no deserts in Tasmania. 

Crocodile catching, don't dismiss it, until you've tried it   xD

Edited by amibovered
  • Haha 2

I don't know how old you are, Bungeye...but I've probably spent 2 or 3 of your lifetimes in Australia.  I've never seen (a) a desert (b) a crocodile.....and I've never indulged in surfing or beach lifesaving.  But I have managed to fill those decades admirably with all sorts of  life enhancing activities.  Thank you for your concern.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Skani said:

I don't know how old you are, Bungeye...but I've probably spent 2 or 3 of your lifetimes in Australia.  I've never seen (a) a desert (b) a crocodile.....and I've never indulged in surfing or beach lifesaving.  But I have managed to fill those decades admirably with all sorts of  life enhancing activities.  Thank you for your concern.

You should try and visit the real Australia before you cark it Skani.

I too have never been to the Red Centre or the Top End and I feel bad about it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Parley said:

You should try and visit the real Australia before you cark it Skani.

I too have never been to the Red Centre or the Top End and I feel bad about it.

I don't do deserts - or heat.  That's why I  choose to live where there are mountains and snow.  Plenty of things in life to feel bad about....but that ain't one of them.  Before I "cark it" I'll spend my money going to the UK and Europe,  thank you.

I totally migrated to Australia so I could catch crocs. 

It was on my bucket list. As was shark diving and snake catching. 

Oddly, after almost 5 years here, not achieved any of them xD

7 minutes ago, Toots said:

I'm so very disappointed to discover there aren't any crocodiles in Tasmania.  :sad:

But think of all those Tasmanian devils you have to wrestle out of your driveway each morning.  Totally makes up for lack of crocs!   ;)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Skani said:

I don't do deserts - or heat.  That's why I  choose to live where there are mountains and snow.  Plenty of things in life to feel bad about....but that ain't one of them.  Before I "cark it" I'll spend my money going to the UK and Europe,  thank you.

it isn't hot in winter & don't dismiss it till you try it. It is incredibly interesting & have never seen anything more beautiful 

• Thanks 1