Budget vs location

sm79

Hi,

I have been offered a position that will be based in Chatswood and I am in the early stages of planning an interstate move to NSW. Having searched on various real estate websites and read endless posts on this forum, I am seeking advice on areas to focus my search for a rental property that wont (by Sydney standards) burst the budget.

I have been primarily looking along train lines (as I'm sure most people do) to try and avoid the need to commute by car. In a perfect world, I would be looking for a 2 bed property (apartment or otherwise - not fussy) with weekly rent of around $500 per week. I know this is ambitious and will likely push it out to $600 if needed but I'm keen to at least try and find something at the lower end of the scale. In addition it would be good to be somewhere that has a coffee shop or two and/or some personality to it (or neighbouring a place with these elements).

Given the above, my search thus far seems to have drifted towards North Strathfield, Rhodes, Wentworth Point, Meadowbank, Ryde, West Ryde (that general arc/area) as it is a commutable distance by train to Chatswood and not a million miles form the city by train for weekends etc.

I would love to hear views on the above areas and/or opinions on other possible areas I could target my search. Googling and searching only takes you so far and it would be good to get first (or second) hand accounts about what these areas are like or suggestions of other areas that might fit the above criteria.

Many thanks for taking the time to read 

• 3 weeks later...

I had a look in Domain for flats up to $650 a week and there seem to be a number within your budget or just over and if you live in Chatswood, at least within walking distance of your work you will be saving $40 per week (?) and an hour or so a day of commuting time. Chatswood is one of Sydney's proper, what is word, "hub", city in its own right, with a Westfield shopping centre and a street full of shops, and good bus and train services.

https://www.domain.com.au/rent/chatswood-nsw-2067/?price=0-650&ssubs=1

I don't know what your age/tastes are but if you are single then I would recommend my own suburb - Surry Hills - which is just south of Sydney CBD and does have apartments in your price range. Most of Surry Hills is easy walking distance to Central station which is about 25-30 minutes on the train to Chatswood. I usually add three minutes for every station, so Town Hall, Wynyard, Milsons Pt, North Sydney, Waverton, Wollestonecraft, (or is the other way around), St Leonards, Artarmon, Chatswood.. Those first two stations I mentioned are in the city itself which shows how close it is to the CBD, walking distance in fact.

https://www.domain.com.au/rent/chatswood-nsw-2067/?price=0-650&ssubs=1

Those other suburbs you mention are OK but I would not fancy any of them myself but then I am single and i like to have everything within walking distance which is why if I had a job in Chatswood I would prefer to live there. Perhaps not as I love Surry Hills too much!