Avon ceasing operations in Australia and New Zealand

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

ANNOUNCEMENT: Avon today announced its decision to close its operations in Australia and New Zealand by the end of the year. 
Avon ANZ President and Managing Director, Sharon Plant said, “this is a very sad day for our employees and Representatives. As a management team our commitment and focus over the coming days, weeks and months is to support our people and the wider Avon community who are impacted by this decision,” she said.
“I would like to thank all the employees, Representatives and Customers who have supported Avon’s business over the years.”

7 hours ago, dxboz said:

Very sad - end of an era

Not really.  I think the genuine Avon lady disappeared years ago.    I tried being an Avon Lady about three years ago and it was nothing like what I expected.  It had become a MLM scheme like Amway - you made peanuts on actually selling the stuff,  the idea was that you had to con - er, recruit - as many other women as you could, and then you got a commission on what they sold.   

The cosmetics and skin care were OK but except for the specials, you get better value at the supermarket or Chemist Warehouse these days, so they didn't sell well.   Avon was trying to make up for that by selling cheap, poorly made clothing, homewares and toys - again, you'd be better off going to a $2 shop.  

The reps who were still doing well all had territories which included lots of aged residents, because they would buy stuff just to get a visitor.  Some also did well out of mothers' clubs by doing Tupperware-style parties.   I didn't get very far, because I didn't feel comfortable peddling poor quality.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Not really.  I think the genuine Avon lady disappeared years ago.    I tried being an Avon Lady about three years ago and it was nothing like what I expected.  It had become a MLM scheme like Amway - you made peanuts on actually selling the stuff,  the idea was that you had to con - er, recruit - as many other women as you could, and then you got a commission on what they sold.   

The cosmetics and skin care were OK but except for the specials, you get better value at the supermarket or Chemist Warehouse these days, so they didn't sell well.   Avon was trying to make up for that by selling cheap, poorly made clothing, homewares and toys - again, you'd be better off going to a $2 shop.  

The reps who were still doing well all had territories which included lots of aged residents, because they would buy stuff just to get a visitor.  Some also did well out of mothers' clubs by doing Tupperware-style parties.   I didn't get very far, because I didn't feel comfortable peddling poor quality.  

I have't seen or heard of an Avon Lady for years.