Surburb advice

Ksf

Hi All, 

Wondered if anyone has any surburb advice? We currently live in Wimbledon, London and will be moving over to Sydney as soon as my partner visa comes through. We are planning to rent when we first come over but I feel it makes sense for us to rent in an area we are then likely to be able to afford to buy in (probably looking at a buying budget of around $1.5m) and definitely want a house (3 bed + as opposed to an apartment) we’re very much city people here (in our early thirties, like the bar/cafe culture) and that is what I think we may end up doing in Sydney.

However, my partner’s parents live in Woy Woy on the central coast and you seem to get a lot more for your money there. If we live in the city would we miss not having a big yard/pool especially in the summer which is something we could get on the Central Coast.

I also think the commute into Sydney from the central coast may be too far which is where one if not both of us are likely to work. Are there any surburbs in between that may offer the best of both or does anyone have any recommendations for city surburbs?

Thanks, 

Kate

If you're in your thirties and want to be among other young professionals in a cafe culture, then you need to be in the Inner West (no further West than  Summer Hill), or Eastern Suburbs.  $1.5 million won't buy you any house in the Eastern Suburbs so I would write that off.   The Inner North suburbs do have cafes and restaurants, but they have a different vibe, more "ladies who lunch", and they're also very expensive.

In the Inner West, you might get an older-style house with a courtyard garden, no parking, like this:

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-newtown-126990382

Remember to allow for the fish-eye lens they've used, (which makes the house look bigger than it really is!).  Newtown is a fairly run-down suburb, but it has a grunge/boho feel that appeals to young people.  Houses like that will cost you much more in the "nicer" areas of the Inner West.

Whether you will miss a pool depends on how well you handle the heat.  It gets very hot in summer, and if you're living in the West, it can feel stifling because there are no sea breezes to cool you off.  You're also a good hour from the nearest beach (and when you get there, you'll spend another hour trying to find parking!).  That's why personally, I would go for an apartment in a  block with a communal pool.  

I'm also a cafe/city girl, and always said that if I couldn't afford to live in the inner suburbs of Sydney, I would rather live somewhere else altogether because the outer suburbs are too boring (which is why I'm now in Melbourne...).   I'm trying to think of other areas which would work for someone your age. The Central Coast is good for young families so you would find people your own age, but they are more likely to have kids in tow.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Check out Manly & Dee Why on the northern beaches. You won’t get a lot for $1.5m but it’s an awesome area. They’ve got a really vibrant cafe / bar / bistro scene. You’re that little bit closer to your in laws too. The cafe scene that your looking for doesn’t really exist on the central coast, in fact I’m yet to find it anyway other than Sydney & Melbourne.

I am always happy to push my own suburb - Surry Hills 2010 - right on the city's eastern and southern "doorstep."  Advantages? You can walk just about everywhere including into the city itself though it's a 20 to 30 minute walk - hot in summer but hardly onerous. The public transport is excellent with buses, trains - Central - light rail to the Inner West - Central, and the new light rail network to the Eastern suburbs "soon" (I don't believe it) to be finished.c And of course the cafe scene you mention is extensive as are the restaurants and bars.

Disadvantages? You won't get a free-standing house here so it will be either a terrace or perhaps a town house i.e. a bit like an apartment but with a small garden/courtyard. You might get a nice house but without a garage and definitely no pool. I used to have a car but now I'm happy to use "Go Get" cars which you can rent by the hour and are located every 100 metres or so in Surry Hills. There is an excellent swimming pool in the equally excellent Prince Alfred Park and the Eastern suburbs beaches, both harbour and ocean are mostly 7 or 8 kilometres away.

There are a few places in your price range although it is dear here. I did a search with an upper price range of $1.6 million:

https://www.domain.com.au/sale/surry-hills-nsw-2010/house/?price=0-1600000&excludeunderoffer=1&ssubs=1&page=

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for your helpful advice. My visa has been approved so we will be out next March. MaryRose02 we love Surry Hills and know it well (it's where my other half's sister lives) so is on our list! Does anyone have any advice on Leichhardt? 

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, Ksf said:

Thank you all for your helpful advice. My visa has been approved so we will be out next March. MaryRose02 we love Surry Hills and know it well (it's where my other half's sister lives) so is on our list! Does anyone have any advice on Leichhardt? 

Thanks! 

You said your budget for a house was $1.5 million?  Leichhardt is out of your budget, then.  Look at Marrickville, Canterbury

• 1 month later...