Shauna H

Hi, 

Myself and my husband are looking to move to Australia on a 189 visa, I am a qualified Accountant and he is a qualified Electrician we are both 32.

Can someone please help me with the following queries : 

1. Are we better applying under my Husbands trade or mine? (I was told the market is saturated with Accountants)

2. Can anyone advise of an agency who are successful - I know there are so many people claiming to be the best.

Any advice at all would be a great help.

Shauna

As already noted it is harder for accountants but you could submit an EOI each if you wish and see which is pulled out the hat first. There are pros and cons to each. 

Your assessment will likely be cheaper and quicker but the occupation is pro rata

If you have a degree etc. and your OH is a regular sparky like me then you will have 5 extra points for education.

Your husband will need his skills assessed regardless for his OSTR which leads to a provisional electrical licence - So no cost saving in the long run. I am told it is also less stressful doing this before leaving the UK.

You probably want the extra 5 points for partner skills so you'll probably need your skills assessed also.

Basically for the cost of an extra English test (and you can keep each other company as its a long day) you could cover the bases with an EOI each.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your replies - I will definitely apply under my husbands skill.

I got my 1st quote and its coming up in the region of £7k - has anyone done it themselves? would it be worth the pain or am I better applying through an agency?

Thanks again :)

When budgeting make sure you account for the costs here to convert his qualifications before he can work 'unassisted'. Electricians must have State licencing to work and it can be quite tricky (and costly) in some States, despite all the trades recognition you do to get the visa, the aussies do like their red tape. Research carefully what is required in the State you are wanting to move to prior to coming so you have no hidden surprises and can budget for it.

Cal x

Hi Shauna,

A lot depends on how confident and how organised you are. Getting the skills assessment & IELTS sorted is fairly straight forward! I recently got a positive result (electrician) and did it myself along with my wife's (Early Years Teacher). You can always engage an agent afterwards if you wish at what should hopefully be a reduced cost. To be honest most of the evidence submitted to Future Skills for Quals & Experience will what you submit on your application. Obviously its a good chunk of change and that's where the confidence comes in.

Happy to help your husband with further info i.e what to expect. Just let me know.

• Like 1

I did the whole thing myself and found it relatively straight forward. But that was because my case was simple. If you’re an organized person and you don’t mind putting in the work, then you can do it yourself. If your case is complex then I’d use an agent. The rules are however constantly changing, so make sure you are following the most up to date guidelines

Hi dear members,

First of all I would like to thank each one of you for helping us through every stage of Visa process, in anyway you could.

This forum is an incredible platform for people like me, who seek guidance , advice and direction.

I am looking forward to applying for 189 PR Visa. I have a couple of questions as follows

1. Does ACS skills assessment, require English Language score.
I mean, do we have to upload our English Language Score while filing skills assessment. I am asking this because I am planning to apply for ACS skills assessment first and then go for English Language Test.

2. I want to know as per ACS,how much experience will be calculated in my case. Following is the description of my Job details.

I am Bachelor of Engineering in Computer from Pune University, India

Job1 - 20th Sep 2006 to 10th Jan 2007 - Computer Faculty
Job2 - 25th Jan 2007 to 21 Jul 2007 - Trainee Software Programmer
Job3 - 23rd Jul 2007 to 10th April 2008 - Jr Software Programmer
Job4 - 4th May 2015 to 30th Dec 20016 - Associate Software
Job5(Current Job) - 18th Jan 2016 till date - Software Engineer.

I am planning to go for 261312 - Developer Programmer Anzsco Code

Appreciate your inputs :) Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
On 18/02/2018 at 20:08, namratab said:

Hi dear members,

First of all I would like to thank each one of you for helping us through every stage of Visa process, in anyway you could.

This forum is an incredible platform for people like me, who seek guidance , advice and direction.

I am looking forward to applying for 189 PR Visa. I have a couple of questions as follows

1. Does ACS skills assessment, require English Language score.
I mean, do we have to upload our English Language Score while filing skills assessment. I am asking this because I am planning to apply for ACS skills assessment first and then go for English Language Test.

2. I want to know as per ACS,how much experience will be calculated in my case. Following is the description of my Job details.

I am Bachelor of Engineering in Computer from Pune University, India

Job1 - 20th Sep 2006 to 10th Jan 2007 - Computer Faculty
Job2 - 25th Jan 2007 to 21 Jul 2007 - Trainee Software Programmer
Job3 - 23rd Jul 2007 to 10th April 2008 - Jr Software Programmer
Job4 - 4th May 2015 to 30th Dec 20016 - Associate Software
Job5(Current Job) - 18th Jan 2016 till date - Software Engineer.

I am planning to go for 261312 - Developer Programmer Anzsco Code

Appreciate your inputs :) Thanks in advance.

You can find this information on their website. If in any doubt please consult a registered migration agent.