matt796

Car registration before a permanent address??

Hi 

We arrive next month and everything is in place in terms of flights and jobs. We have temporary accommodation booked in the guise of hotels etc. The one question I have is I'd like to purchase a car reasonably quickly. Has anyone have experience of registering a car at a hotel or work address if they hadn't sourced a long term rental at that point? 

Many thanks 

We had to register our car and our drivers licenses to our short term, 2 week rental address and it didn't seem to be a problem. I just changed the address once we had moved into our long term accommodation. I'm not sure if that would work with a hotel address - a work address may be a better option

If you're living in an apartment (e.g. Airbnb, holiday flat), you'll have no problem.  They don't ask for any evidence that it's your permanent address.  Don't put the owner's name, just your name and the street address as if it's your own place.  

If you're staying in a hotel, that might be a problem because as soon as you write the name of the hotel - or if it's in the middle of town where there aren't any residential homes - they'll spot that straight away.   

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

We did a similar thing but didn't quote the hotel name and instead used the actual address of the building. We were technically staying in an apartment (or so the hotel claimed) so we just stated our address as being:

Apartment XXX, 17 YYY Street, etc. This was enough for the RMS and they gave us a customer number so that we could register a car.

How about renting a PO Box at your nearest Post Office? We were able to do this, and having the PO Box was handy for general post before we were in a long-term rental.

We put our AirBandB address down for car and Medicare, and spoke to AirBandB landlord about this first to make sure he was okay. He was great, forwarded on our post and even provided an Australian rental reference for us. We were upfront tho and didn't just assume we could use his address. 

• Like 1

309/100 lodged 03.02.2017 - Meds/UK Police requested 10.02.17 - AFP requested 04.03.2017 - Health Clearance 05.04.17 - AFP uploaded 26.04.17 - 100 Granted 02.05.2017 - arrived Melbourne 16.06.2017 and now living our dream!!