Jump to content

When should I apply for a driving license in Australia

    Recommended Posts

    Hey lovely gang, 

    Slightly random one, have been meaning to ask for a while. 

    I came to Australia on a 417 WHV and have been driving on my UK license since I arrived, I recently applied for a 489 for Tasmania and am on a bridging visa while I await the outcome. Is now a good time to apply for a Tassie driving license or do I need to wait until I actually have the visa grant? I don't want to bother if it's too early, but I also don't want to be driving on my UK license if I'm supposed to be on a Tasmanian one. 


    Thanks a million. 

    Anna. :-) 

    Tijd is Geld!

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    image.thumb.png.11af7f633f416899763596fd4ae0dab5.pngHi Anna,

    You can convert your UK licence anytime. Just need to head to the nearest department of motor vehicles or whatever the equivalent is in Tassie. However, as the screen capture from Transport Tas states, you need to convert it within 3 months of the date your PR is granted. 


    Good luck.

    • Like 1

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Thats awesome! Thanks JustUs, I'll pop into service tas over the next couple of weeks. :-) 

    • Like 1

    Tijd is Geld!

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    • Similar Content

      • By Bundaberg
        I've been living here a while now and I can't seem to understand how the direction signs are so badly done in Australia cities.  There are signs for some junctions but none for others.  And they are usually at the junction, this isn't helpful when the road is several lanes wide and at the opposite side of the junction there is a road sign.  But if there is a sign is it usually for the city centre  which can be pretty far away in an Australian city and doesn't really help when you are trying to find other suburbs, that are not the city.
        Don't get me wrong some things are done pretty well, such as street names everywhere and easy to see.
      • By WideonWide
        Swapping UK license for Oz license cost $60 for 1 year and $100+ for 2 years in SA. I guess it costs just $18 in Victoria, although not sure how long that would be valid for. 
        anyone else with some info ?
        ps :
        - you dont need to surrender UK license. 
        -  Those in Visitor visa/ Temp work visa ( 457 etc ) need not apply for Oz license. 
        - Those in PR visa should apply within 3 months ( SA)
      • By Andramedoin
        I have PR in Australia & have never had a driving license, either in Australia or the UK. I am hoping to start lessons soon and have an idea to speed up the process of getting a full license. If/when i pass and get my Green P's (25 yrs old), can i head for a holiday to the UK and convert it to a full UK license, then come back and convert it to a full license in Australia? I have read a couple of posts where people mention 50 pounds to swap it over, but just wondering whether anyone's attempted this before. It'd be great to come back from a holiday and get a full license. 
        The holiday is not purely for this reason, but thought while I'm there, it might be worth it if possible.
      • By MWatson
        Moving to Victoria and Your Driving Licence - What You Need to Know

        If you are moving to Victoria and you hold an overseas licence, there are different steps that you will need to take depending on what visa you obtain.
        Temporary Visa Holders:
        If you are a temporary visa holder, you are not required to get a Victorian licence or learner permit. Instead, you can drive using your current overseas licence for the length of your stay as long as your driving licence is written in English, or accompanied by an English translation or international driving permit.
        Permanent Visa Holders:
        Under the Migration Act 1958, if you hold a permanent visa you are allowed to drive with your overseas driving licence. This is, as long as it is written in English, or it is accompanied by an English translation, or international driving permit. If your permanent visa was issued before you entered Australia, you can drive with this licence for 6 months from the date you first entered Australia. If the permanent visa was issued to you while in Australia, you can drive 6 months from the date your permanent visa was issued to while you’re in Australia. After this time, if you want to continue driving in Victoria you are required to obtain a Victorian driving licence. Even if your overseas driver licence has expired, you can still take a driving test.
        Once you’ve been issued with your Victorian driving licence or learner permit, you are forbidden to use your overseas or interstate driving licence in Victoria.
        What Steps To Take:
        In order to obtain a Victorian driving licence, your current licence needs to be verified. The verification process may involve your driving licence being sent off to be checked. If you are applying for a Victorian driving licence, you need to be at least 18 years of age.
        If you are under 21 years of age and you have held your overseas licence for less than 12 months from your 18th birthday, then you will be issued with a P1 probationary driving licence. A P2 licence is issued, if you are under 21 years and you have held your overseas licence for more than 12 months, or if you are over the age of 21 and you have obtained your probationary driver licence for less than three years.
        For a full Victorian driving licence to be issued, you need to be over the age of 21 and have held your overseas probationary driving licence for at least three years, or hold/have held an overseas full driver licence.
        Once your overseas driver licence has been verified, you then need to check if your overseas licence is recognised in Victoria. If your licence has been issued from one of the following countries or jurisdictions, then you are good to go and you will not need to sit a test.
        List of countries:
        - Austria
        - Belgium
        - Canada (licences from Ontario, Canada must be surrendered and returned to the licensing authority)
        - Croatia
        - Denmark
        - Finland
        - France
        - Germany
        - Greece
        - Guernsey
        - Bosnia and Herzegovina
        - Ireland
        - UK
        - USA
        - Isle of Man (for licences first issued on or after 1 April 1991)
        - Italy
        - Japan
        - Jersey
        - Malta (for licences first issued on or after January 2004)
        - Netherlands
        - Luxembourg
        - Norway
        - Portugal
        - Singapore
        - Spain
        - Sweden
        - Switzerland
        There are some other countries from which your driver experience is recognised in Victoria and you will not need to sit a test, once you are over the age of 25. If you are under this age, you will be required to sit a test.
        These countries are:
        - Bulgaria
        - Czech Republic
        - Republic of Cyprus
        - Estonia
        - Hong Kong
        - Hungary
        - South Korea
        - Latvia
        - Lithuania
        - Poland
        - Romania
        - Slovenia
        - South Africa
        - Taiwan
        There are still varying restrictions with regards to some of these countries, so you are best to check this out before applying for your Victoria driving licence.
        The Final Steps:
        You’ve checked everything else off the list, now it is time to book your appointment! You can do so online or you can call 13 11 71. Once you have made your booking, you will then be required to get some paperwork ready. Documents which you will need to take with you to your appointment include; evidence of identity documents, your current overseas licence, a completed application form, and, the adequate fee.
      • By MWatson
        Driving in Adelaide: Transferring Your Overseas Licence

        So, you’re migrating to Adelaide and you are unsure of how your overseas licence will work once you arrive.
        Well, this article should provide you with all of the knowledge that you need before making your move!

        If you are planning on becoming a permanent resident in South Australia, it is vital that you get your South Australian driving licence within ninety days of arriving, and once you have been issued with this, your existing licence will become invalid and you may be required to surrender it.

        What are the rules and regulations?
        There are a couple of different rules depending on varying factors such as; your visa type, age, licence type, etc.
        If you are between the age of 17 and 19, or you are over 20, on a permanent visa, have an overseas full licence from one of the eligible countries, then your existing licence can be transferred to a full South Australian driving licence.
        Your only obligation is that need to do this within ninety days.
        In order to actually transfer your licence, you should first download a MR205 application form, complete this form, and take it along to any Service SA customer service centre.
        In order to complete your application, you will also need proof of your identity, signature, age, and address, your current drivers licence, and a medical certificate if required.

        Temporary Visa Holders:
        If you are over the age of 17, hold an open overseas licence, and you are visiting Australia on a temporary visa, then you can drive in Adelaide with your overseas licence.
        If you are 16 and you are a visitor on a temporary visa in South Australia, you can also drive with your overseas licence, as long as it is still valid.
        You must only drive a vehicle that complies with the conditions of your overseas licence.
        Also, when you are driving you are required to carry your valid licence as well as a current passport at all times.
        If you are in the country and your overseas licence expires and you are unable to renew it, you will be required to apply for a driver’s licence in South Australia.
        If you don’t actually have an overseas licence and you wish to drive in Adelaide, there is a process that you need to go through.
        First you will be required to sit a licence theory test, then obtain a learner’s permit, complete a compulsory amount of hours during the stage of learner permit, and pass the hazard perception test.
        You then obtain a P1 provisional licence for one year and a P2 provisional licence for two years, before graduating to a full driver’s licence.
        Driving Licence Fees:
        The general driving licence fee is $42.00, a provisional licence will cost you $143.00, whereas a learner’s permit is $59.00.
        The majority of countries in Europe as well as the U.S will allow you to easily transfer your licence.
        If your licence expired less than 5 years ago, it is still possible to transfer it to a South Australian licence, however, if it expired more than 5 years ago then you will be obliged to apply for a new South Australian Driving licence.