Ozblueskies

Moving to Brisbane - alone?

Hi there,

I am currently in a situation where I will have to move out of my rental apartment in Sydney on the Northern Beaches. I only moved here 8 months ago (only got a 9 months lease) and the lease won't be extended as the owner needs the place for a family member. This will now be my 4th move within 2.5 years since moving to Sydney!! I had to move out from my previous rental as well (after 6 months) as the owner wanted to sell the place. Even though I really like the Northern Beaches (or Lower North Shore where I previously lived), to be honest, I am slowly starting to lose my mojo... The fact, that you can never really feel settled due to the lack of long leases, is starting to drag me down a bit. I am sure, I will find another place but then again, what happens in 12 months when the lease expires... I am 41 years old so definately not keen on a nomad lifestyle anymore and I am craving for some stability. The only way to achieve this is to buy my own place which is not realistic in Sydney with a single income (no partner). Therefore, I have been playing with the thought of moving to Brisbane. Not only because of having the option of buying at some stage but also saving more money due to lower rents and having a slower pace of life.

So apart from looking at rentals here in Sydney, I am also considering to rent a furnished studio (no fixed lease) here in Sydney, put my stuff in storage and try to look for a job in Brisbane (background is physio, currently working for an insurance company).

Apart from the obstacle of finding a job in Brisbane, my only concern would be the fact that I´d be moving on my own. I have been living in Brisbane a few years up until 2012 and while I loved the lifestyle, I found that it's very family orientated and sometimes, as a 30-something single, felt like an outsider. However, given that Brisbane seems to undergo quite a bit of transformation at the moment, I have been wondering whether this is still the case.

I´d be interested to hear from other people who moved to Brisbane without family/partner and your experience in terms of building your social life??

Would appreciate your input!

Have you thought about Melbourne?   It's still a big city, but it has a very different vibe (much less obsessed with property, for instance).   House prices are about two-thirds of Sydney and so are rents.   Leases here are 12 months rather than 6.  The social life for someone your age would be great, and there's lots of work in the physical therapies AFAIK.  

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

If you do decide Brisbane, you'll be fine! We've been here just over six months and can't believe how friendly people are here. It's lovely!

• Like 1

I believe that one of the modern forms of bravery is to say, OK I will start again from scratch.

Doing something new, learning new things requires great strength, great humility and great courage.

Have you thought about Melbourne?   It's still a big city, but it has a very different vibe (much less obsessed with property, for instance).   House prices are about two-thirds of Sydney and so are rents.   Leases here are 12 months rather than 6.  The social life for someone your age would be great, and there's lots of work in the physical therapies AFAIK. 

To be honest, I haven´t really considered Melbourne - love to visit but I never really pictured myself living there. I am actually not really a big city person - this is probably why I have been living on the Lower North Shore and the Northern Beaches in Sydney as they are quite leafy and quieter. For me, having access to lush bushland, beaches, running tracks etc. is clearly a priority over nightlife and bars (even though I love a lively community feel with cafes, restaurants etc.- and occasionally having the option to throwing myself into the action when I want to...).

I also prefer the climate in Sydney and Brisbane over Melbourne and the surrounding area.

Have you thought of setting us as an NDIS provider and going self employed especially in the Ipswich/Toowoomba area and in between around the Lockyer Valley. I have to admit we are loners but they say people aren’t going to come to you so you basically are going to have to think of a hobby, what about a running club? Property out that way is also cheaper ie a new build for around $299k so it’s more affordable on a single income. I’ve heard St Vincent’s has the best rehab centre in Brisbane so it may be worth while asking if they have any positions. 

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Physio is very competitive in Brizzy or Qld for that matter. My son wanted to go into it but needed an OP of 1 to get in to UNI there were that many applying. He went for Human Movement in the hope of eventually getting credits towards Physio but has now shelved it as he's managing a Gym (they head hunted him).

Might sound ridiculous as I don't know what your mental attitude is but have you thought about the Defence Forces"? Physios were in demand last time my son looked and your age doesn't debar you. You might have to move about but you'd never have to worry about a roof over your head or having mates, and I believe, after training you'd be an officer with all the security that entails. Work hard and disciplined, but they play hard also.

Good luck.................. I'm an old fart and my son is a "young buck" but if you get to Brizzy and need a hand, shoot me a pm.

Was driving through the world with a cracked rear view, but nowadays I watch only the road ahead

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

What about Canberra? Are you registered with AHPRA? We have good runs, cafes, restaurants, galleries etc just no sea (plenty of water) and it’s not Big City