weather in Melbourne

Vicky87

if getting a job wasn't a concern we'd be heading to Perth without much of a discussion!! 

he's a pipefitter/ metal fabricator so may be better going to Newcastle as looks like it's on the up rather than on the down! I'm trying to think jobs are essential and moving to Perth won't work if he can't find employment! That's what i meant about staying for 4 years+ - its too expensive in Oz to stay without work so we're just hoping he finds something x

3 hours ago, Vicky87 said:

if getting a job wasn't a concern we'd be heading to Perth without much of a discussion!! 

he's a pipefitter/ metal fabricator so may be better going to Newcastle as looks like it's on the up rather than on the down! I'm trying to think jobs are essential and moving to Perth won't work if he can't find employment! That's what i meant about staying for 4 years+ - its too expensive in Oz to stay without work so we're just hoping he finds something x

OK I see.  I'm not an expert, but yes, I think staying East would be a better bet than Perth.   An awful lot of tradies moved to Perth when the boom was on.   The boom has bust and a lot of people ended up out of work, or having to accept lower-paid jobs - but they've stayed in Perth because that's where they've built their life.  So if you move there, you're up against all those people.

I'm not sure what the demand is like in Newcastle, but the good thing about starting out in NSW is that it's not going to cost you an arm and a leg to relocate if it's not working.  Whereas if you settle in Perth, it can cost you almost as much to relocate to (say) Melbourne as it did to move to Perth in the first place, due to the high cost of transport between Perth and the eastern states. 

• Thanks 1

i hadn't thought about the costs if we had to try somewhere else - def worth considering.. Thanks for the advice ? really appreciate it..!  I'll keep an eye on seek to see where he would most likely be in demand and aim for there, NSW is looking more promising. 

10 hours ago, Vicky87 said:

i hadn't thought about the costs if we had to try somewhere else - def worth considering.. 

I think moving costs are a very important consideration.  Moving to a new country without a job is a gamble.  If you move to one city and there's no work, the sensible solution is for the family to stay put while your husband goes looking for work somewhere else.  Once he's landed a permanent job somewhere, then you can pack up the family and move to join him.

If you're in Perth, then working in Sydney or Melbourne means an expensive 4-hour flight each way.  He'll have to leave home on Sunday night to start work on Monday morning, and return home at midnight on Fridays.  When he finds a job, you'll have to pack up the household and pay extortionate rates to get your goods shipped across the Nullarbor.  Maybe you'll sell the car and fly east - because the alternative is a 36 hour drive with the kids.  True, in the right circumstances that can be an adventure, but not at a time when you're anxious to get settled down.

If you're in Newcastle, on the other hand, Sydney is commutable for a few months (two hours).  There's also work in the mining areas around the Hunter Valley.   If he has to fly to Brisbane or even Melbourne for a job, the flights are only an hour or two, and much cheaper.  Once he's got a job somewhere, shipping will be cheaper, and driving your own car up to Brissie or down to Melbourne is a practical proposition.

Of course it would be mad if he got a job in Perth after all, but statistically you've got far more chances in the Eastern states.

• Like 2