5500 great white sharks lurk off Australia’s east coast?

simmo

Great that the species is thriving.

In a world-first genetic analysis, Australia’s peak scientific research agency has been has been able to provide an accurate picture into the size of Australia’s great white population.

The study, published in the journal Scientific Reports on Thursday, researchers believe the total east coast population, covering from Queensland to Victoria and across to New Zealand, sits at 5460 – but could be as high as 12,800, after taking juvenile sharks into account.

The CSIRO estimate there are about 750 adults in waters east off Victoria’s southern coast, up to central Queensland and across to New Zealand.

That figure is doubled across Australia’s south-western coast, with 1470 adult white sharks, with a range of 760 and 2250, living in that area.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/2018/02/09/great-white-sharks-australia-population-csiro/

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Toots said:

I frequently swam in the Indian Ocean and the Pacific - never thought about sharks really.  Swim most days here in the summer too.  Maybe I had a lucky escape.  :err:

I doubt you will get many busses in the Indian or Pacific ocean and I you do they probably won't come near you.

other news:

Mr Frydenberg said the “groundbreaking” CSIRO study clearly showed a greater number of larger white sharks off the west coast compared with eastern Australia. “These results along with the high number of fatal shark attacks in Western Australia make a compelling case for the WA government to take a more proactive approach to protect the public from shark attacks,” he said.

“The primacy of public safety is non-negotiable. That is why the commonwealth continues to call on the West Australian government to take stronger action to protect its citizens.”

• Haha 1

I don’t understand the point of this post? Unless it’s a bit of info about nature? Of the seven species of marine turtles in the world, six occur in Australian waters.