Single parent chances

Purplepasta

I would appreciate some honest feedback with thoughts. I understand that things can change very quickly but wondered how I stand with a skilled visa based on my situation. 

I am 37 this year.

I have a degree in Early Childhood Studies (2004) meaning I taught pre school children. For the past three years I’ve been a teaching assistant but the school are using me in ks2 not early years. 

Its just me and 2 children aged 8 and 11, If I sold my house today I would have about £110k to take with me. I have sole custody and parental responsibility  

I know people in Victoria but no relatives and no idea where to start. 

Ive previously had a  whv in 2003 so cannot have another. 

Many thanks for any information. 

As wrussell recommends - check out if you meet the criteria for the skills assessment first of all - that will be the key to a visa.

It's hard to say if your savings will be enough - you'll obviously need to set up and there will be some child care costs.  As a rule, people generally suggest that you should have enough savings to cover about 6 months rent/food/bills etc., in case you don't find work right away - obviously for you as you're not a couple you wouldn't have the safe guard of your partner possibly bringing in a wage to keep things afloat.

40 minutes ago, ali said:

As wrussell recommends - check out if you meet the criteria for the skills assessment first of all - that will be the key to a visa.

It's hard to say if your savings will be enough - you'll obviously need to set up and there will be some child care costs.  As a rule, people generally suggest that you should have enough savings to cover about 6 months rent/food/bills etc., in case you don't find work right away - obviously for you as you're not a couple you wouldn't have the safe guard of your partner possibly bringing in a wage to keep things afloat.

I don't know much about the profession the OP is planning to apply in, so cannot offer my advice in that area. But the OP mentions GBP 110K, which is around $200 K AUD, you are saying that will not be enough to cover 6 months? 

I am not sure if you qualify for a visa but with regard to your savings. Yes it is likely to be enough to take with you but be prepared to use a fair bit of it until you get a job. Next thing to bare in mind is the actual cost of living there. Will your salary be enough to cover rent, bills, childcare and general living? If not you will soon eat into all your savings. Final thing and really important, you may have custody of the children but you will still need the other parents permission to take the children to live there. 

4 hours ago, path2aus said:

I don't know much about the profession the OP is planning to apply in, so cannot offer my advice in that area. But the OP mentions GBP 110K, which is around $200 K AUD, you are saying that will not be enough to cover 6 months? 

Certainly it would be enough, but she would make a big dent in it.  Right now, that 110K is providing her with a roof over her head.   If she has to spend half of it getting to Australia and surviving till she gets a job, then she has only 55K left to put a deposit on a home in Australia.  Whether that's enough depends where she's moving to, and what kind of job she can get.

I think some people just copy and paste the same old answers to questions such as the OPs

Of course it’s more than enough

12 hours ago, Purplepasta said:

I would appreciate some honest feedback with thoughts. I understand that things can change very quickly but wondered how I stand with a skilled visa based on my situation. 

I am 37 this year.

I have a degree in Early Childhood Studies (2004) meaning I taught pre school children. For the past three years I’ve been a teaching assistant but the school are using me in ks2 not early years. 

Its just me and 2 children aged 8 and 11, If I sold my house today I would have about £110k to take with me. I have sole custody and parental responsibility  

I know people in Victoria but no relatives and no idea where to start. 

Ive previously had a  whv in 2003 so cannot have another. 

Many thanks for any information. 

Is your degree three years or four? That is the first hurdle. If it is four years then that is a positive, if not, then you would need another year of study to fulfill teaching requirements in Australia.

Edited by Sammy1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

I think some people just copy and paste the same old answers to questions such as the OPs

Of course it’s more than enough

Of course it's more than enough to live on for six months.  The point is that while she's living on that money for several months, she's spending her life savings.  So instead of moving to Australia and being able to buy a similar home in a similar neighbourhood, or perhaps better herself, she could find herself without enough of a deposit to buy herself a decent home.

I know it's a problem many migrants face, and people get over it and get back on track - but it can be hard, even for a couple with two incomes.  Plus it's a bit of a shocker if you've come to Australia for "a better life" and find you're having to live in a sh!tty house in a sh!tty neighbourhood because you've spent half your capital.

• Like 4

I really appreciate the answers so far. Thank you! 

My degree is 3 years which I have read that isn’t enough for teaching in Aus. 

It was always our dream to emigrate, we sold our house to apply for visas back in 2009 but then that’s when my husband did a disappearing act and left.  It seems to have quashed my dreams of going big time. 

I just don’t think it’s possible to go as a lone adult with 2 children and manage with paying for everything. Trouble with the U.K. is you get used to government help that you get (which you can’t get there).  

Might have to rely on the lottery ticket then ?

16 hours ago, path2aus said:

Totally agree. ..110 is an amazing amount!!!or maybe I'm just poor??

It is an amazing amount and am lucky I have it through equity but it’s all tied up in property until I sell. 

I’m not that keen on wasting it away on living costs long term so would want a job ASAP to start paying my own way. Obviously dipping into it will happen but need it for property purchases further down the line when I know I want to settle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Purplepasta said:

I really appreciate the answers so far. Thank you! 

My degree is 3 years which I have read that isn’t enough for teaching in Aus. 

It was always our dream to emigrate, we sold our house to apply for visas back in 2009 but then that’s when my husband did a disappearing act and left.  It seems to have quashed my dreams of going big time. 

I just don’t think it’s possible to go as a lone adult with 2 children and manage with paying for everything. Trouble with the U.K. is you get used to government help that you get (which you can’t get there).  

Might have to rely on the lottery ticket then ?

You will need a further year of study in order to pass the skills assessment. Another complication is that you will either need the consent of the children's father or a court order allowing you to take them

5 hours ago, Purplepasta said:

It is an amazing amount and am lucky I have it through equity but it’s all tied up in property until I sell. 

I’m not that keen on wasting it away on living costs long term so would want a job ASAP to start paying my own way. Obviously dipping into it will happen but need it for property purchases further down the line when I know I want to settle. 

That's exactly my point, I would feel the same.  That money is your security and your nest egg, and with two children to consider, you want to keep it safe.  I see you're asking about living costs on another thread, that's a good idea.

Yes I’ve started my own spreadsheet with U.K. costs already in place on there. I’ve detailed everything I pay put on it now and can compare that next to it. It’s quite interesting what I’m finding out now about what you pay and don’t pay over there. Plus the main part is the wages are much higher but I lose the tax credits I get here so it balances out. 

I do realise too I need to complete a post grad course to be eligible. Maybe the dream is still on!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Certainly it would be enough, but she would make a big dent in it.  Right now, that 110K is providing her with a roof over her head.   If she has to spend half of it getting to Australia and surviving till she gets a job, then she has only 55K left to put a deposit on a home in Australia.  Whether that's enough depends where she's moving to, and what kind of job she can get.

I don't understand this and this is my last post on this thread as I don't have anything constructive to contribute on the OP's actual question and I don't want to side track this thread anymore. But don't we all come to Australia in the same situation? Does not matter if we come as a couple with kids or as a single parent. We all come here with savings hoping for the best. No one can be assured of a job before they land here unless they can arrange for something while abroad. The salary they can make also is something which people cannot foresee. So not sure how the OP's risk is higher than any of us who moved here in similar situation. I agree with whatever you are saying but that is the same for anyone who uproots their home abroad looking for a better life here. I did that and lot of people on this forum did that and the OP will not be the first one.

28 minutes ago, path2aus said:

I don't understand this and this is my last post on this thread as I don't have anything constructive to contribute on the OP's actual question and I don't want to side track this thread anymore. But don't we all come to Australia in the same situation? Does not matter if we come as a couple with kids or as a single parent. We all come here with savings hoping for the best. No one can be assured of a job before they land here unless they can arrange for something while abroad. The salary they can make also is something which people cannot foresee. So not sure how the OP's risk is higher than any of us who moved here in similar situation. I agree with whatever you are saying but that is the same for anyone who uproots their home abroad looking for a better life here. I did that and lot of people on this forum did that and the OP will not be the first one.

I agree that everyone comes to Aus for different reasons, but the things highlighted in the posts here are just things to consider.  As the OP says - she has to balance the fact that she won't be eligible for much if any assistance in Aus to help meet the day to day living costs.  We have over the years had couples were one of the partners have been unable to find work and the other's wage has just kept them ticking over.  Their savings for a house dwindle because they're being used for every day costs.  Sadly, in some cases people have had to return to the UK because they haven't been able to find work with much depleted or no savings that then doesn't let them get back on the property ladder in the UK.

I do think it's important to consider all things when making such a big move and how the worst case scenario would impact on you ... for some it will be a case of "yep let's still do it", whilst for others it may then be too big of a gamble.  I do personally think that it is different being a single parent in the practical sense - as a couple, we were lucky that one of us was able to start work immediately and the other delay the start to get the kids settled into school.  We had 2 wages not one so all the start up costs were able to be spread without dipping too much into our savings.  We had someone else to talk to when we knew no-one at all in Perth.

Both single parents and couples/families have made the move successfully to Aus - others have had to return - as I said, it's good to consider both the positives and potential negatives of a move before jumping in, which I think the OP is doing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, path2aus said:

don't we all come to Australia in the same situation? I agree with whatever you are saying but that is the same for anyone who uproots their home abroad looking for a better life here.

That's true, but I don't think you can assume every prospective migrant understands that.  You only have to "Wanted Down Under" to notice how many migrants are expecting a lovely big house by the beach.   Even if they expect to be doing it tough at first, they think the better work opportunities and higher salaries will enable them to buy that house one day. But the fact is, salaries in Australia are much the same (once you take cost of living into account), unemployment is about the same, and houses by the beach are a pipe dream even for most Australians.  

I know we can sound negative when we point that out, but the fact is that many newbies are looking forward to the "dream" of living in Australia, and it's important that they've got their feet on the ground and have considered all the possible pitfalls.  I prefer living here but it's no better or worse than any other developed country, it's just different. Every country has its good points and bad points.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3