Your advice needed - 489 or TSS and long termoptions

lewisant48

Hi guys. I've posted here a few times before explaining our situation so hopefully those in the know may have seen my posts!

Basically we are in England, not even applied yet but very close to starting the process and my gf/wife by August has been in touch with vets in Adelaide/SA who can offer sponsorship through the TSS visa. She is a vet nurse (29) and i'm a care home manager (33).

Vet nurse is currently on the short term list so we can only get a temporary 2 year visa if we go down the TSS route.

Advice needed - While on the TSS visa, are we allowed to apply for a longer term visa such as a 489? Or are we just a bit better off going through the rigmarole of the 489 now and paying for the skills assessment etc as she has more than enough points. Then when we're in Aus our only major visa worry will be the 887 after 2 years to apply for PR.

Thanks!

PS - my job is on the medium list but i don't have enough points so TSS through me is our other option as that could be a 4 year visa which i believe can be transformed to something more long term after 2 years? Yes? No?

The TSS is just a temp job, that happens to be in another country.   If she hates the job, she can't leave, because then you'd both have to go home. If the business goes bust, you'll both have to go home.  You may find it hard to get work, because employers know you can't give any undertakings about whether you'll stay - if your gf gets the sack, you'll disappear.

The trouble with TSS contracts is that employers have a lot of power over you - you can't hand in your notice if they treat you badly or demand unreasonable overtime, because you don't want to get thrown out of the country.  Some employers take advantage of that. So you need to have confidence in the integrity of the employer.

The 489 would be a much better option IMO, even if it is a rigmarole.

Looks like the TSS may be something just to get us in the country then but the main goal should be a 489. Thanks for the advice!

On 2/7/2018 at 21:51, Marisawright said:

The TSS is just a temp job, that happens to be in another country.   If she hates the job, she can't leave, because then you'd both have to go home. If the business goes bust, you'll both have to go home.  You may find it hard to get work, because employers know you can't give any undertakings about whether you'll stay - if your gf gets the sack, you'll disappear.

The trouble with TSS contracts is that employers have a lot of power over you - you can't hand in your notice if they treat you badly or demand unreasonable overtime, because you don't want to get thrown out of the country.  Some employers take advantage of that. So you need to have confidence in the integrity of the employer.

The 489 would be a much better option IMO, even if it is a rigmarole.

1 hour ago, lewisant48 said:

Looks like the TSS may be something just to get us in the country then but the main goal should be a 489. Thanks for the advice!

I think you've missed my point. Using a temporary visa as a way of "getting into the country" usually ends in tears.    A temp visa is a temp visa and then you're supposed to go home.  Did you read the bit about you not being able to get a job if your gf is on a temp visa?  What if the employer is a shonk or a bully or a sexual harasser? Will you expect her to stick it out for a couple of years, so you can get a better visa?   

If you've got the option for a better visa now, be patient and go through the "rigmarole".

Edited by Marisawright

47 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I think you've missed my point. Using a temporary visa as a way of "getting into the country" usually ends in tears.    A temp visa is a temp visa and then you're supposed to go home.  Did you read the bit about you not being able to get a job if your gf is on a temp visa?  What if the employer is a shonk or a bully or a sexual harasser? Will you expect her to stick it out for a couple of years, so you can get a better visa?   

If you've got the option for a better visa now, be patient and go through the "rigmarole".

I do see your point completely. It looks like the 489 isn't an option now unless we get 12 months work experience in SA in our nominated job so it's become more complicated now the 489 vet nurse option has moved to the supplementary 'special conditions apply' list. Bit gutting as like you say, it throws a lot of uncertainty. It's more likely i'd be a primary applicant on a sponsor visa now as my job is on the MLTTS but then i could face all the concerns you've mentioned above. I wish i could get enough points, it would make it so much better.