Rewiring a house

Fisher1

Hi all,

We are considering buying a house that needs updating - it seems basically well maintained and in good condition but is stuck in the era of swirly carpets and flowery borders. Obviously we'll have a survey done but we are trying to work out whether or not we can afford to buy it and bring it up to date.  So the question of the day is - how much does it cost to rewire a house?  I know that's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string, but I'm hoping someone can give me just a rough idea of the likely cost for a big - ish detached house with three large bedrooms, two baths and a big living - diner. We haven't got a clue, but are guessing the electrics are probably stuck in the era of swirly carpets too.

thanks

11 hours ago, Toots said:

Friends had their house rewired 2 years ago.   They had 3 quotes and went for the one of $8,000.  Happy with everything.  Pommy electrician did the job.

Brilliant, thanks. At least it gives me an idea of the sort of figures we might be dealing with - I've no idea how much rewiring costs in the UK never ever mind Australia. We were working on 20,000 so that gives us a bit of hope.

1 hour ago, Fisher1 said:

Brilliant, thanks. At least it gives me an idea of the sort of figures we might be dealing with - I've no idea how much rewiring costs in the UK never ever mind Australia. We were working on 20,000 so that gives us a bit of hope.

My friends' house probably isn't as big as the house you are thinking of buying Fisher.  They downsized when they moved   ..............................  so perhaps allow for a bit extra for your rewiring.

From a 2014 article:

You can expect to pay $8,000 to $15,000 to rewire a 1,500- to 3,000-square-foot home. The precise cost will depend on the size and age of your house, the ease with which an electrician can access old wiring, and the quirks that abound in older homes.

Edited by Toots
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Toots said:

My friends' house probably isn't as big as the house you are thinking of buying Fisher.  They downsized when they moved   ..............................  so perhaps allow for a bit extra for your rewiring.

From a 2014 article:

You can expect to pay $8,000 to $15,000 to rewire a 1,500- to 3,000-square-foot home. The precise cost will depend on the size and age of your house, the ease with which an electrician can access old wiring, and the quirks that abound in older homes.

Thanks - I just wanted a really rough idea, and now I've got one ... I think twenty thousand is a good ball park figure. We're going to see the house again at the weekend ... Of course now we've been googling and calculating like mad, I bet we'll notice all sorts of other flaws on the second viewing and decide against ... This house hunting isn't for wimps :-) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

Thanks - I just wanted a really rough idea, and now I've got one ... I think twenty thousand is a good ball park figure. We're going to see the house again at the weekend ... Of course now we've been googling and calculating like mad, I bet we'll notice all sorts of other flaws on the second viewing and decide against ... This house hunting isn't for wimps :-) 

Good luck with the house hunting hope you find the right one are you still looking in Kiama area? We have just spent a few days in Gerringong, making are way down to Melbourne , beautiful area ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HarrisL16 said:

Good luck with the house hunting hope you find the right one are you still looking in Kiama area? We have just spent a few days in Gerringong, making are way down to Melbourne , beautiful area ?

Yes, we are still looking - not much for sale at the moment though, still in the post Christmas lull. Enjoy Melbourne, if you haven't done the Great ocean road yet, it's not to be missed!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...