register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

littlesarah53

Citizenship - residence requirement help

Hi,

Can someone please help me to understand the 4 years part of the residence requirement to apply for citizenship.

Is it 4 years concurrently before application, or can it be cumulative ?

I will explain my situation - may make it easier - I first arrived in Oz in October 2009 and stayed on a 457 visa until Jan 2012, then went back to the UK. In Oct 2014 I returned to Oz on another 457 visa, and was granted PR in Sept 2015. So I have been living in Australia for more than 4 years in total but not sure if that qualifies or not.

Can anyone please advise ?

As far as I understand (happy to be corrected) prior to applying for citizenship you have to have been living in Australia for 4 years and on PR for the last 2 years, with no more than a 90 day continuous spell out of the country.

Based on this I would say that you would be eligible for citizenship in October 2018

I believe you will be eligible to apply in Oct 2018 with those details, as long as you transferred straight from your 457 to the PR with no gap.

It's 4 years with the last 1 year being on PR, with less than 1 year in total out of the country and less than 90 days in the last year.

Edited by welljock
  • Like 1