Places to stay in NSW outside Sydney

justme

Hi All

We’re hoping to make the move to Oz later in the year - myself, husband and two young children (will be aged 1 and 3). We’re being sponsored by NSW so I’m looking for some advice on areas to stay outside Sydney, as well as potential suburbs within/around the city. We are looking to find a town or suburb with a good community spirit, perhaps a ‘alternative lifestyle’ type place as we are both creative types (architect and graphic designer) and looking for a more relaxed lifestyle than the rat race pace that often accompanies city living. We’ve been living in capital cities for the past decade so really looking to have more space with our young family and be somewhere that we can get to know our neighbours and be involved in the community. Don’t want to be super rural as we’re used to having amenities around us. We like the look of the area around Byron shire, for example Bangalow, but have been a bit freaked out by reports of large numbers of brown snakes in that area. Is it silly to worry about this with two young kids that I’d like to be able to play safely in the back yard? It is a consideration for us ...

We’ve got somewhere to stay when we first arrive in NSW - a family member has a large house on the northern beaches in Sydney with plenty of space for us to stay for a while. So we have time to explore when we get there and will treat our first 2-3 months as a holiday. However it’s obvious we won’t be able to afford to stay comfortably in that area ourselves due to the price of renting a house, never mind eventually buying one. 

We have properties to rent out in the UK so we’ll have $600 a week from that to put towards rent, which will be a good head start around Sydney and potentially enough to cover our rent elsewhere. We wouldn’t look to buy for a couple of years. Obviously if we settle in or near Sydney costs would be higher, but it’d be easier for us to find work. Outside the city it might be harder to find jobs but a good portion of our rent would be covered already, and we wouldn’t mind taking any job initially in order to get settled in an area that is suitable for us for the long term. Ideally we’d hope to eventually be working for ourselves or have our own businesses anyway, as we do at the moment.

So what I’m looking for is ideas for:

- any suburbs in/around Sydney that would be affordable on around $1000 a week and have a good community, creative, family friendly etc;

- suggestions for areas outside of Sydney but within occasional commuting distance that offer a creative, alternative type lifestyle similar to Byron shire (eg somewhere on the central coast);

- or ideas of any other towns in NSW that offer what we’re looking for.

Thanks in advance!