retiring back to the UK

jimmyinoz

2 hours ago, jimmyinoz said:

Australia and the UK have a  reciprocal agreement for health care she will get better free healthcare on the NHS than here and  no up front payments. 

After  2 yrs on her 'authority to remain' visa she can apply for UK citizenship i dont see any issue with her getting it. All we have to do is the reverse of what we did to get here 13 yrs ago .

.I did all my own immigration paperwork and research ..a bit long winded but relatively  straight forward ..  i see no reason to pay anyone 5 grand to fill in forms for me ..

We didn't use an agent for moving to the UK either.  Fiddly but not difficult.    It sounds like you've checked it out and you know she'll only get a two year "authority to remain" as your spouse to begin with.  If you've got the lump sum from your super, then  you should have no difficulty qualifying for the financial requirement.  Of course, that assumes they don't go and put the amount up in the meantime - maybe another reason to jump at 60, rather than risk another 3 year wait?

The only thing I'm not so sure about is whether she can apply for citizenship as soon as she's got her indefinite leave to remain.  I thought you had to be resident in the UK for five years?   

Edited by Marisawright

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

We didn't use an agent for moving to the UK either.  Fiddly but not difficult.    It sounds like you've checked it out and you know she'll only get a two year "authority to remain" as your spouse to begin with.  If you've got the lump sum from your super, then  you should have no difficulty qualifying for the financial requirement.  Of course, that assumes they don't go and put the amount up in the meantime - maybe another reason to jump at 60, rather than risk another 3 year wait?

The only thing I'm not so sure about is whether she can apply for citizenship as soon as she's got her indefinite leave to remain.  I thought you had to be resident in the UK for five years?   

3 years for those with a British spouse. 5 years for everyone else

I went through the whole spouse visa recently,  starts with a spouse visa  ( you need to be married for at least 5 years before applying), valid for 2 years, but you can apply for an ILR as soon as you hit the UK , the you need to do a KOL test ( knowledge of life in the uk ), then wait for 3 years to apply for citizenship, lots of paperwork,  lots of £ for every step.  We did it by ourselves and all went through, not difficult just need to take your time with the paperwork.

somebody mentioned earlier that you have to be 60 to access your super in OZ, I think it is 55 , but you must have stopped working or work less then 10 hours per week.

22 hours ago, Johnny Kash said:

It would be good to get clarity on this.   In terms of reaching preservation age for your Super and stopping working - assuming the OP is back in the UK he will have technically stopped working in Australia (even if he does carry on grafting back in the UK). 

I asked the question of my Super fund and was told this was the case - if you are not working in Australia at preservation age you satisfy the release conditions.   I'm slightly sceptical of this but would be good to get this confirmed or otherwise.

I think it's probably a moot point.  If you're leaving Australia, you're going to have to leave your job anyway.  You probably leave work at least a couple of weeks early, to get ready for the move.  And you're not going to walk straight into a new job in the UK on day 1, especially if you're over 60 - so you've got the window to apply anyway.

7 hours ago, RandL said:

I went through the whole spouse visa recently,  starts with a spouse visa  ( you need to be married for at least 5 years before applying), valid for 2 years, but you can apply for an ILR as soon as you hit the UK , the you need to do a KOL test ( knowledge of life in the uk ), then wait for 3 years to apply for citizenship, lots of paperwork,  lots of £ for every step.  We did it by ourselves and all went through, not difficult just need to take your time with the paperwork.

somebody mentioned earlier that you have to be 60 to access your super in OZ, I think it is 55 , but you must have stopped working or work less then 10 hours per week.

If you access it before 60, there's tax to pay.

Accessing super depends on your preservation age:

Date of birth                       Preservation age

Before 1 July 1960                      55

1 July 1960 – 30 June 1961      56  

1 July 1961 – 30 June 1962       57

1 July 1962 – 30 June 1963       58

1 July 1963 – 30 June 1964       59

From 1 July 1964                          60

Edited by Drumbeat
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, RandL said:

cheers mate thats a great help  its 60 if you dont wanna get hammered with tax and depending on when you were born i was born 1960 after july so my preservation age [earliest i can access] is 56

Edited by jimmyinoz
  • Like 1

On 07/02/2018 at 14:26, jimmyinoz said:

Australia and the UK have a  reciprocal agreement for health care she will get better free healthcare on the NHS than here and  no up front payments. 

After  2 yrs on her 'authority to remain' visa she can apply for UK citizenship i dont see any issue with her getting it. All we have to do is the reverse of what we did to get here 13 yrs ago .

.I did all my own immigration paperwork and research ..a bit long winded but relatively  straight forward ..  i see no reason to pay anyone 5 grand to fill in forms for me ..

australia and uk don't have reciprocal health care britain refused to sign the agreement.apologise I'm wrong

Edited by heyyu
just checked i was wrong