Occupational therapist AHPRA

zs123456

On 17/02/2021 at 19:50, iola said:

Hello all, was hoping someone could help me please.  I am currently studying Occupational Therapy in South Wales, UK and on my first year.  I lived in Australia when I was younger for two years on the working holiday visa and my dream is to go back to Australia to live permanently.  I wanted to try to understand the process and if anyone knew how many years experience you would need in order to emigrate over?  I know this is quite a few years away but wanted to put the feelers out there so I can understand the processes and expensve involved please?

Thank you

iola

Hi iola 

I'm so glad I found your post. I'm a first year OT student in the Midlands and I'm looking to move to Australia as soon as I'm qualified. Perhaps we could link up via Facebook or twitter to share any information we find? We (my wife and I) were in the process of working with an immigration solicitor before covid struck so have access to help. 

• Like 1

Hello, yes definitely, what is your Facebook page ? what is your background? will you be going predominately on your visa as an OT? I am trying to find out as much as information as I can but thought two years' experience was needed before moving to Australia?

9 hours ago, Mrchnry said:

I'm so glad I found your post. I'm a first year OT student in the Midlands and I'm looking to move to Australia as soon as I'm qualified. Perhaps we could link up via Facebook or twitter to share any information we find? We (my wife and I) were in the process of working with an immigration solicitor before covid struck so have access to help. 

You don't need a solicitor, what you need is a MARA registered migration agent.  It may be that your solicitor is also MARA registered, in which case that's fine, but do check to make sure before you rely on their advice.

I'm also surprised that you'll be able to migrate as soon as you're qualified, because most other occupations do need at least two years' experience (and pre-qualification years don't count).

• 3 months later...
On 17/02/2021 at 21:59, Ross Pearle said:

Hi Iola,

I am from the UK myself and moved over to Sydney in late 2018, now working as a recruitment consultant to assist OTs with work across Australia. So hopefully I can be a good sounding board for any questions you may have 🙂

Obviously with the strict border controls it makes plans to emigrate tricky at the moment. The first two options that spring to mind which are available to you, would be either a Skilled Visa (189. 190 or 491) or by gaining sponsorship by an employer (186, 482 or 494). Obviously the skilled visa gives you more flexibility to choose your own employer, but on the flip side you are having to pay the visa in full yourself in that instance. 

If you wish to explore further or have any other questions then feel free to post (email removed by admin as per forum rules)

Good luck and I look forward to hearing how you go :) 

Thanks

Ross

Hey Ross, 

Just wondered if this is something you're still able to help with?! I'm a UK trained based OT, have been working here for the past 3 years but hoping to head over to Australia for a couple of years. Let me know if you have any guidance 🙂

Thanks! 

8 hours ago, Eliza.James said:

Hey Ross, 

Just wondered if this is something you're still able to help with?! I'm a UK trained based OT, have been working here for the past 3 years but hoping to head over to Australia for a couple of years. Let me know if you have any guidance 🙂

Thanks! 

Hi Eliza,

Thanks for reaching out to me. I would be happy to explore whether I can assist you - and certainly (fingers crossed) you would hope that in a couple of years the international borders will reopen, which will make the move far more accessible.

Can you please email me on ross@sugarmangroup.com.au  - just give me a summary/flavour of your approximate plans, any questions you have etc, and I can reply accordingly?

Look forward to hearing from you 🙂

Many thanks

Ross 

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Just jumping on this post to say I am a uk based OT with a job offer in Aus (190 visa). I've completed my skills assessment stage 1 with OTC but have been advised to wait to apply for ahpra due to the requirement to present in aus within 3 months, they are extending this timeframe currently due to covid but still not worth the extra stress . 

I think the ahpra takes around 6 weeks to come through according to the website. 

Best of luck to you all! 

• 2 years later...

Hi all, I’m currently studying MSc OT in England. It’s a two years program and I’m in my second year. I would love to work in Australia when I graduate in January 2025 and would love to know what the process entails so as to prepare myself. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks