Occupational therapist AHPRA

zs123456

Hi,

Iv just been granted a 189 visa, can AHPRA registration be applied for prior to obtaining a job?

any OTs out there already made the move willing to share there experience?

Experienced OT with 7yrs experience- any advice on looking for work-any advice appreciated-thanks in advance Zoe

I'm not an OT, but I can confirm that I had my AHPRA before getting a job or even my 189. However, be aware that once you get your AHPRA, you only have 3 months to present to an AHPRA local office and confirm your identity.

Having AHPRA rego will hopefully improve your job prospects.

• Like 1

I am not currently in Australia, but have done a lot of research and have a friend out there currently working/completing full AHPRA registration...

Basically, there are 2 parts to AHPRA registration with OT. The first is a desktop audit which you can apply for now and is just a case of filling in forms and them verifying your degree to be transferrable to Australia. The second part of AHPRA is to get your full registration and means that you need an employer in Australia who will "supervise" you whilst you go through this process. You need to do 6months supervised practice with this employer before you can get full AHPRA registration. I think that will be why they are asking for the name of your employer...

• Like 1

Yes this is the process I thought also from information on the website ,but I had read on other posts that some people's had obtained limited registration prior to a job, but I cannot see details of this, as you point out details of your supervisor are required for limited registration.

Can I ask: did your friend find work fairly easily or did it take some time? Are companies willing to see individuals through there probation period?

Thanks Zoe

• 1 month later...

Hi I'm currently completing my supervised practice and hopefully it will all go through in the next month or two. I only work part time so it's taken me about 7 or 8 months, but you can do it in as short a time as 3 months if you're full time.

I had no problem getting a job, in fact I quit my first one as I wasn't enjoying it (Occ Rehab) and now working part time for a private practice. I've was offered other jobs too.  I get emails and calls frequently from agencies asking if I'm looking for work. The NDIS has created a huge demand for therapists, particularly paediatric ones but I won't deny it's not chaotic system at the moment whilst it's being rolled out.

I live in NSW, about 100km north of Sydney. If you're prepared to go where the work is, then I think you will get a job offer if you're experienced. The supervised practice bit isn't a big deal at all. You write a list of goals with your supervisor when you first start your job.  All stuff that you need to do in the first few months of a new job anyway.! You keep a record of your supervision. You complete as halfway report where you comment on whether you've met the goals. The OT council review it and let you know when to submit your final report. Then you submit it and wait!! 

I'm happy to give you any advice that you may need from here, just let me know.

Kind regards

Becky

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hey

I am an OT from the UK and went through this supervised practice. It took me about 6 months to find an employer who would take me on, I'm in WA and all the jobs got snapped up really quickly by Aussie OTs. Most companies were honest and said they do not want to do the supervision (papework etc). When I found my job i then applied for limited reg which took 3 months! Thankfully i had a great employer, i was employed part time in this OT role and worked really hard so i ended up completing my practice audit in 3 months (despite being PT). There is hope and flexibility with the practice audit. 

Wanted to share & help on the forum as i could have done with this when i was applying for jobs!

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, if you are facing trouble finding a supervisor for your limited registration process, just ping me as I know a allied health business who might be able to help you get a supervisor and full time job with good salary. The only catch is you might have to relocate to their aged care facilities based in Tasmania. 

I was offered, but had to turn down as my wife works as a full time OT in Melbourne. 

• 3 months later...

Hey everyone,

I have been doing some research about registering as an OT in Australia. I am a newly qualified OT who studied in London. I am finding it a minefield trying to grasp the whole process. I'm wondering if anyone could give me an estimated cost of the whole process?

I understand I need to apply for a skills assessment - is this the same at stage 1 of the registration for OT or are these separate? 

Thank you!!

Hey!

Ive recently moved to Melbourne from the UK and am a qualified OT. I am finding it SO hard to become registered and it says I need to write down an employer but unsure how I can do this if im not registered out here and therefore dont have a job!!

Im also wondering how much the process is as ive read it costs about 200 dollars but then also seen both stages can cost 2,000 dollars so very confused!!

Im looking into allied health assistant jobs but even this is proving to be difficult!

Hoping someone can shed some light on this very confusing process!

Thank you:)

I am from the UK and moved to Oz a few years ago. I have been through the registration process and yes it is confusing, in my experience if you can do your best to learn as much about it as possible then when you get interviews you can confidently say that you can manage the paperwork and registration process so your employer won’t have to do much (makes you more appealing).

The skills assessment is the same as the stage one of the registration and costs $1200. This allows you to apply for jobs and work as an OT with ‘limited registration’.

Stage two is completed when you have got a job. This costs $1000. You have to go through stage two to turn your limited into full registration. Although this process states it takes 6 months, it can be done in less time, even if you are on part time hours. I had a great employer who was confident in my skills and was keen for me to be fully registered ASAP. I struggled to find work in Perth so had to apply for regional areas in WA, they are much more likely to take you as Australian OTs generally get all the desirable city jobs. So I would encourage you to apply for regional areas if you can. I was lucky enough to find a job in WA, but also had a job offer over east in Wollongong outside of Sydney, not helpful if you are in Melbourne, but it gives you an idea of looking outside of major cities. I would recommend printing off the “Step-by-step Process for Internationally-qualified Practitioners” on the OT council website and follow the steps.

All up it costs $2200. Any questions let me know 🙂

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi all, 

I am new to this site so please bare with! I'm hoping to emigrate to OZ using the skilled 190 Visa with help of an immigration agent. I have an occupational therapy degree and I have just over a year and a half experience working in a acute hospital in Devon. I'm really just hoping to speak to someone who has gone through the process of stage one and two to register as an OT in Oz and make some contacts as I don't know anyone who has gone through this process and feeling quite overwhelmed! 

if anyone could give me some advice, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Lizzie x

Hi Lizzie, you're welcome to pm me and I'll give you my email address. I came over from the UK with my family in 2016, so had stage 1 done as part of the 189 visa application. I've been fully Ahpra registered for just over a year now after doing the supervised practice bit. Simple process and I'm happy to share examples of my paperwork - supervision plan, supervision log and final reports etc.  I think it's made out to be a bit more confusing than it actually is and I think the OT council have simplified it since it first came into play in 2013. When I started investigating working as an OT out here as a foreign trained OT in 2014, it looked grim and OT's were returning to the UK as there was no managers  prepared to take on  to do the supervised practice bit.

If you are prepared to go where the work is there are loads and loads of OT jobs now. I live in NSW on the Central Coast and I have my own business now. Paediatric OT's are in huge demand but pretty much all OT's are. The NDIS which is being rolled out over here has created a massive demand for OT so maybe check it out online. There are probably more opportunities in private practice than the Health  system, but there are plenty of opportunities and the more experience you have the easier you will find work.

Have you contacted any locum agencies? Global Health Source may be worth contacting, and Healthcare Australia too.

• Like 1

On 28 March 2019 at 07:37, Serendipity said:

Hi Lizzie, you're welcome to pm me and I'll give you my email address. I came over from the UK with my family in 2016, so had stage 1 done as part of the 189 visa application. I've been fully Ahpra registered for just over a year now after doing the supervised practice bit. Simple process and I'm happy to share examples of my paperwork - supervision plan, supervision log and final reports etc.  I think it's made out to be a bit more confusing than it actually is and I think the OT council have simplified it since it first came into play in 2013. When I started investigating working as an OT out here as a foreign trained OT in 2014, it looked grim and OT's were returning to the UK as there was no managers  prepared to take on  to do the supervised practice bit.

If you are prepared to go where the work is there are loads and loads of OT jobs now. I live in NSW on the Central Coast and I have my own business now. Paediatric OT's are in huge demand but pretty much all OT's are. The NDIS which is being rolled out over here has created a massive demand for OT so maybe check it out online. There are probably more opportunities in private practice than the Health  system, but there are plenty of opportunities and the more experience you have the easier you will find work.

Have you contacted any locum agencies? Global Health Source may be worth contacting, and Healthcare Australia too.

Hey, thank you so much for getting back to me, that would be great to contact you, will do so shortly! 

Best wishes,

Lizzie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ots,

Glad i found this forum.. I am having same concerns right now.. We moved from sg to Oz July of last year and completed my OTC Jan 2018. Its really  frustrating  looking for employer to take Ots needed supervision. Please advise fellow Ots. 

Thank you 

On 12/04/2019 at 06:48, michelleOT said:

Hi Ots,

Glad i found this forum.. I am having same concerns right now.. We moved from sg to Oz July of last year and completed my OTC Jan 2018. Its really  frustrating  looking for employer to take Ots needed supervision. Please advise fellow Ots. 

Thank you 

Michelle where are you based? What's your background and where are you hoping to work and in what clinical area? You say you moved from sq - where do you mean??

Hi

Thank you so much for the response. We are based here in Sydney previously from Singapore. My experience is more than 10 years and been to both geriatrics/pediatric caseloads and  wide variety of facilities. Honestly, I have few job offers for aged care, occ rehab  that can consider limited reg but need to turn down since it is mostly from rural and distance to Sydney. I would say my chance to have job right now is so slim due to my current limitations - limited reg, non driving, non pr ( 457 visa under husband) and location  within metro sydney. 

I recently applied  for visa 189and still praying for invites. 

Really  missing being an OT and working with clients and colleagues. 

Hope to find a match for my current situation..

I am open for any work possibilities and networking. 

thanks once again. 

Michelle ( ausmiranda2018@gmail.com) 

6 minutes ago, michelleOT said:

Hi

Thank you so much for the response. We are based here in Sydney previously from Singapore. My experience is more than 10 years and been to both geriatrics/pediatric caseloads and  wide variety of facilities. Honestly, I have few job offers for aged care, occ rehab  that can consider limited reg but need to turn down since it is mostly from rural and distance to Sydney. I would say my chance to have job right now is so slim due to my current limitations - limited reg, non driving, non pr ( 457 visa under husband) and location  within metro sydney. 

I recently applied  for visa 189and still praying for invites. 

Really  missing being an OT and working with clients and colleagues. 

Hope to find a match for my current situation..

I am open for any work possibilities and networking. 

thanks once again. 

Michelle ( ausmiranda2018@gmail.com) 

Ok thanks, sorry I couldn't read my screen properly!

Mmmm, let me have a think and I'll send you any contacts I can think of! Do you have community experience and/ or private practice experience? pm me if you prefer.

Becky

• 9 months later...

Hi all,

I found this thread randomly whilst trying to research the cost of the AHPRA registration for UK applicants. 

I work at Sugarman Australia and specifically with OTs seeking work for an Australian organisation. I am from the UK myself and worked in Sugarman's London office between 2011-2018 assisting OTs for work in the NHS and private sectors.

I would like to think I can be helpful/useful in helping OTs explore options in Australia who require assistance with limited AHPRA registrations/sponsorship visas.

So give me a shout if you would like further info/guidance! 🙂

Thanks

Ross

• 1 year later...
On 29/01/2020 at 04:54, Ross Pearle said:

Hi all,

I found this thread randomly whilst trying to research the cost of the AHPRA registration for UK applicants. 

I work at Sugarman Australia and specifically with OTs seeking work for an Australian organisation. I am from the UK myself and worked in Sugarman's London office between 2011-2018 assisting OTs for work in the NHS and private sectors.

I would like to think I can be helpful/useful in helping OTs explore options in Australia who require assistance with limited AHPRA registrations/sponsorship visas.

So give me a shout if you would like further info/guidance! 🙂

Thanks

Ross

Hello Ross,

Are you still providing advice and guidance on occupational therapists who want to emigrate from U.K. to OZ? 
I have two years experience in social services and looking at going to Oz in 2 years or so and trying to work out what I need to save financially and what kind of visa I need.

thanks,

Jade 

4 hours ago, Jade C said:

Hello Ross,

Are you still providing advice and guidance on occupational therapists who want to emigrate from U.K. to OZ? 
I have two years experience in social services and looking at going to Oz in 2 years or so and trying to work out what I need to save financially and what kind of visa I need.

thanks,

Jade 

Hi Jade,

Lovely to hear from you and I'm still assisting and guiding Allied Health Professionals in your position.

How about your PM me  with your queries and I will reply accordingly?

To help guide you on finance and visa, I would need to be more familiar with your age and how long you intend to come to Australia for, e.g. would it be a 1-2 year plan, or do you see this as permanent or long-term?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks

Ross 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, was hoping someone could help me please.  I am currently studying Occupational Therapy in South Wales, UK and on my first year.  I lived in Australia when I was younger for two years on the working holiday visa and my dream is to go back to Australia to live permanently.  I wanted to try to understand the process and if anyone knew how many years experience you would need in order to emigrate over?  I know this is quite a few years away but wanted to put the feelers out there so I can understand the processes and expensve involved please?

Thank you

iola

On 18/02/2021 at 06:50, iola said:

Hello all, was hoping someone could help me please.  I am currently studying Occupational Therapy in South Wales, UK and on my first year.  I lived in Australia when I was younger for two years on the working holiday visa and my dream is to go back to Australia to live permanently.  I wanted to try to understand the process and if anyone knew how many years experience you would need in order to emigrate over?  I know this is quite a few years away but wanted to put the feelers out there so I can understand the processes and expensve involved please?

Thank you

iola

Hi Iola,

I am from the UK myself and moved over to Sydney in late 2018, now working as a recruitment consultant to assist OTs with work across Australia. So hopefully I can be a good sounding board for any questions you may have 🙂

Obviously with the strict border controls it makes plans to emigrate tricky at the moment. The first two options that spring to mind which are available to you, would be either a Skilled Visa (189. 190 or 491) or by gaining sponsorship by an employer (186, 482 or 494). Obviously the skilled visa gives you more flexibility to choose your own employer, but on the flip side you are having to pay the visa in full yourself in that instance. 

If you wish to explore further or have any other questions then feel free to post (email removed by admin as per forum rules)

Good luck and I look forward to hearing how you go :) 

Thanks

Ross