register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

The (all new) Brexit Thread

16 hours ago, newjez said:

No, I resent her completely screwing with the NHS, and then giving them a bung just as brexit happens to sweeten the post brexit election. There's no magic money for this. They are raising taxes which is a breech, something which she has previously slapped her chancellor on the knuckles for. This is pure politics. There's not an iota of compassion in here.

Correct me if I have got this wrong , but don’t all political parties try to con everybody , say one thing in an election manifesto and do the exact opposite also isn’t this how labour fund everything borrow , borrow , borrow and then when there’s nothing left to borrow leave a note at HM Treasuery there’s nothing left 

20 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Correct me if I have got this wrong , but don’t all political parties try to con everybody , say one thing in an election manifesto and do the exact opposite also isn’t this how labour fund everything borrow , borrow , borrow and then when there’s nothing left to borrow leave a note at HM Treasuery there’s nothing left 

I feel it is a myth that right wing governments are fiscally prudent and left wing governments are profligate.

The right increase debt opt to borrow to fund tax cuts for the wealthiest (believing that their wealth will trickle down ultimately to everyone else) and, in general, boost spending on things like the military, prisons etc.

The left increase debt to fund additional spending on stuff like healthcare and education and helping the poor directly rather than pinning hopes on trickle down.

Either way national debts increase.  It is a matter of people’s priorities I guess.

• Thanks 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

4 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

I feel it is a myth that right wing governments are fiscally prudent and left wing governments are profligate.

The right increase debt opt to borrow to fund tax cuts for the wealthiest (believing that their wealth will trickle down ultimately to everyone else) and, in general, boost spending on things like the military, prisons etc.

The left increase debt to fund additional spending on stuff like healthcare and education and helping the poor directly rather than pinning hopes on trickle down.

Either way national debts increase.  It is a matter of people’s priorities I guess.

Don’t disagree , or spend within means 

2 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Actually, it's not in the UK. We also have fixed length terms to try and stop this sort of thing. This isn't Australia mate.

1 hour ago, Rallyman said:

Don’t disagree , or spend within means 

Did you never take out a mortgage? Government debt is largely missunderstood. It's used as a political football when it really shouldn't be. The only real rules are a government shouldn't use debt in boom times to compete against private, the government should use debt in lean times because it is cheap, and the economy needs it. This doesn't mean they should waste money, but there is a time to invest, and a time not to. The amounts are largely irrelevant as long as they are investing wisely. You wouldn't call the USA poor because it has a lot of debt. Likewise, you wouldn't call a third world country rich because it is debt free.

Edited by newjez

43 minutes ago, newjez said:

Actually, it's not in the UK. We also have fixed length terms to try and stop this sort of thing. This isn't Australia mate.

Please tell me which party has got into power and actually carried out what they said in their election manifesto , 

How long have you actually lived in the uk ? 

This is nothing to do with Australia but they have fixed terms out here as well as I am sure you know ?