simmo

The (all new) Brexit Thread

12 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

What Polish people still here, heaven help us.

They are legal citizens, did you think brexit was going to get rid of them all!

Ho , yep, that's right isn't it

Yes, the Poles won’t be leaving, The agreement was that settled EU citizens don’t have to leave the UK and vice versa. 

The UK couldn’t throw them out because if they did, Spain, Italy and France would throw out all the thousands of British retirees settled there.

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

On 10/10/2020 at 17:29, Parley said:

But people vote how they choose to vote.

What influences their choice of vote?

• Thanks 1

On 06/10/2020 at 19:09, bunbury61 said:

Luck won't come into it - britain will fly , and australia will benefit from that .

There will be a trading alliance .

Maybe , australia will then be able to stand on its own two feet , without relying on the chinese , and everything that it entails .

Screenshot_20201013-045043_Chrome.thumb.jpg.17ed346ef85a962645f09cf83c619ccc.jpgScreenshot_20201013-045100_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2d82f2ef7d0fe380d9ed10568df4f1ca.jpg

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

Not sure Britain will fly anywhere just now with uncontrolled infections! One of those times I am happy to be under Dictator Dan.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, unzippy said:

What influences their choice of vote?

If you can't pay for it then it can't be true.

It's the final frontier, monetise the news.

They have monetised education and control what you learn.

They are busily at work monetising health and then blame people for getting ill.

Stupid or what, call anything that stands in your way of bigger profits "leftwing" and you're home and dry.

Problem is, along came a microscopic virus that can’t be bought off nor can it be categorised and negated by calling it leftwing, although God help us all the Rightwingers are busting a gut to achieve that, problem is tho, the virus refuses to be categorised and can only be controlled by quarantining it, which impinges on the Rights freedom to do what it wants, regardless of its impact on everyone else.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Not sure Britain will fly anywhere just now with uncontrolled infections! One of those times I am happy to be under Dictator Dan.

Thats true starlight - keep the infections down , but let's see whats left of victoria , when eventually they find a vaccine .

The debt mountain - all those businesses closed - the mental illness and suicides. 

Will they  turn around in 50 years and say ,that they should have kept everything moving , whether that be melbourne or anywhere else.

protected the elderly and vulnerable , had masks , gloves , hand washing and social distancing , and seen the virus through .

The economic debt and fall out from this hasnt been fully felt yet 

• Haha 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

Very hard to work out what to do. I look at the uk and think they have really stuffed up big time . Maybe New South Wales and WA have a better idea than us here in Victoria. 

4 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Very hard to work out what to do. I look at the uk and think they have really stuffed up big time . Maybe New South Wales and WA have a better idea than us here in Victoria. 

This is the Brexit thread misses!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, simmo said:

Read the article:

Mr Thorne added: “Every year since 2016, supertrawlers have doubled the time they’ve spent fishing in our protected areas.

“Our government refuses to act, so we’ve been forced to step in. We have stopped this destructive industrial vessel from fishing in one of our protected areas for as long as we can.

“We can’t stop it permanently, that’s up to our Government. They could announce a ban on destructive industrial vessels fishing in our protected areas tomorrow. They must act.”

Sounds like leaving the EU will make no difference to this issue.

Edited by Peach
  • Thanks 1

Just curious and I know Covid has made a difference but has anyone noticed any differences at all since Brexit? What differences do you think the man in the street, Mr. Joe Blow, will notice?

3 hours ago, Peach said:

Read the article:

It will make all the difference.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, simmo said:

It will make all the difference.

If the British govt can't be bothered to do anything about it now because of all the kickbacks it gets from the owners of these super trawlers then what makes you think they'll be bothered after brexit, denial is a wonderful psychological space to inhabit

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/oct/09/revealed-97-of-uk-offshore-marine-parks-subject-to-destructive-fishing

On 10/10/2020 at 07:29, Parley said:

But bottom line, media proprietors can and have always voiced their opinions. But people vote how they choose to vote.

Everyone gets to choose for themself on election day and chooses who to listen to from all the competing opinions.

Media proprietors don't voice their opinion.  They manipulate their readership into believing what they want them to believe and the gullible lap it up.

image.png.dfd6d22bd6e52a5a5a3532d0e1a4d474.png

There's an absolute causal link here.   It's a delusion to kid yourself otherwise.

image.png.7b02de10e2463f2601ea7a533e749f19.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

3 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

If the British govt can't be bothered to do anything about it now because of all the kickbacks it gets from the owners of these super trawlers then what makes you think they'll be bothered after brexit, denial is a wonderful psychological space to inhabit

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/oct/09/revealed-97-of-uk-offshore-marine-parks-subject-to-destructive-fishing

Brexit isn't partisan.  That's what remoaners don't get If governments and politicians are getting back handers we can vote them out.  The fishing waters will be under British SOVEREIGN control.  I know its hard for you lot but just try some critical thinking when it comes to the EU.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, simmo said:

Brexit isn't partisan.  That's what remoaners don't get If governments and politicians are getting back handers we can vote them out.  The fishing waters will be under British SOVEREIGN control.  I know its hard for you lot but just try some critical thinking when it comes to the EU.

There needs to be some sort of award for this.  Never has so much unintended irony been packed into so few words.  You have definitely won the internet for today!! 

• Like 2

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

4 minutes ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

There needs to be some sort of award for this.  Never has so much unintended irony been packed into so few words.  You have definitely won the internet for today!! 

Well I won't be getting the prize for most conceited, patronising tosh.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, simmo said:

Ignoring the fact that you guys only recently just voted them back in - to deliver Brexit at any cost, of course.  Maybe the cost includes letting the trawler's decimate the marine parks.  Hope it is worth it.

Edited by Peach
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, simmo said:

Tell me, can you vote Dom Cummings out? He Built an illegal house on his familly's land in 2002, the one he ran off to , and has not been forced to demolish it and is only now having to pay rates on it, see todays Times, he has influenced the award of govt contracts without tender to his mates firms and firms that Cummings is an investor in.

Good luck with voting him out as he has been personal adviser to a number of right wing ministers and now personal adviser and confidante to the PM.

How will sovereignty give us control of our fishing waters if the Govt are unwilling or unable to patrol our waters because of a lack of seamen and ships and complete lack of commitment 

I know,  we could pay Serco to hire some navy boats and  seamen  off Denmark and have a private navy, every other thing in the country has been privatised and is a complete bollax up

The country needs to wake up, your're changing one set of corrupt bosses for an even more corrupt set

7 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

Media proprietors don't voice their opinion.  They manipulate their readership into believing what they want them to believe and the gullible lap it up.

image.png.dfd6d22bd6e52a5a5a3532d0e1a4d474.png

There's an absolute causal link here.   It's a delusion to kid yourself otherwise.

image.png.7b02de10e2463f2601ea7a533e749f19.png

What sample size was that taken on ? You know the polls were wrong.

Leave was favoured to win in all the polls and lost, so you can't prove anything from a sample of voters.

I want it all, and I want it now.

4 hours ago, simmo said:

Well I won't be getting the prize for most conceited, patronising tosh.

It’s good of you to let someone else have that. Even if just for one day.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Congratulations 1

26 minutes ago, Parley said:

What sample size was that taken on ? You know the polls were wrong.

Leave was favoured to win in all the polls and lost, so you can't prove anything from a sample of voters.

I meant to say Remain was favoured to win in all the polls and lost.

I want it all, and I want it now.

5 hours ago, simmo said:

As I said can you vote this little ratbag out

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/14/dominic-cummings-must-pay-council-tax-on-second-home-in-durham

8 hours ago, Peach said:

Ignoring the fact that you guys only recently just voted them back in - to deliver Brexit at any cost, of course.  Maybe the cost includes letting the trawler's decimate the marine parks.  Hope it is worth it.

Correct.  To deliver Brexit.

From the green peace article 

Our Government cannot continue to allow supertrawlers to fish with ever increasing intensity in parts of our waters that are supposed to be protected. It must step in and put a stop to industrial supertrawler operations within our offshore marine protected areas, something which will be possible after Britain leaves the Common Fisheries Policy.

7 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

It’s good of you to let someone else have that. Even if just for one day.  

Stay on topic please.👍 good lad.