1 hour ago, simmo said:

Dyor

The nightly news.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

58 minutes ago, Parley said:

The nightly news.

Oh well done.   Why trouble ourselves with actual facts eh?  Lets just spout any old nonsense and hope no one actually checks it is real.  I know that works in your echo chamber, but some of us prefer reality.

Still it worked for the Brexit campaign I suppose!

• Haha 1

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

On 24/09/2020 at 14:57, s713 said:

At least the last few pages are actually getting to the nub of the matter.

That is, we don't really like Europeans, think we're better than them and want our borders closing ASAP.

I suppose that honesty finally cuts through the bluff about improved sovereignty, better trade opportunities, more money for the NHS etc. which have all be debunked as fabrications.

I don't think anyone in Britain is superior to any other European person. Britain is certainly a superior country to some and inferior to others. 

People in the rest of the EU would say they are Spanish, Greek, Portuguese, French etc first and maybe European if pushed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I still lump all Europeans together and that includes British, Irish and Scandinavians. Not that much difference though I guess sometimes I distinguish between Eastern Europeans and Western ones. Now the Americans- they are different.

On 23/09/2020 at 21:56, bunbury61 said:

Yes , and as a whole we voted as the u.k , and the leave vote got 52% - its called democracy 😉

we could always go back and revisit this with a "peoples vote"🙃.....sought it out once and for all.....after all.....we didn't really know what we were voting for and we were all "hoodwinked" by BJ and his big red bus and it was after all a "binary choice" which could not possibly be a fair way of resolving such a question......and......it wasn't really a referendum as such....it wasn't legally binding so we are perfectly entitled to ignore what 52% of the people voted for so as to get the result the minority so desperately wanted......and if we don't get it next time round we can always do best of 5......😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, kungfustu said:

we could always go back and revisit this with a "peoples vote"🙃.....sought it out once and for all.....after all.....we didn't really know what we were voting for and we were all "hoodwinked" by BJ and his big red bus and it was after all a "binary choice" which could not possibly be a fair way of resolving such a question......and......it wasn't really a referendum as such....it wasn't legally binding so we are perfectly entitled to ignore what 52% of the people voted for so as to get the result the minority so desperately wanted......and if we don't get it next time round we can always do best of 5......😂

Seriously?

I mean seriously???

Why would anyone want to do that. It's all going so well. We're smashing brexit!

Edited by newjez
  • Haha 1

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

On 24/09/2020 at 15:28, Marisawright said:

So England is not a country? I’m looking forward to seeing what some other posters have to say about that. 

But actually Scotland has never ceased to be a country

England ceased to be a country in 1707, the fact that it is still called a country is all smoke and mirrors. Politicians love to call something by a different name to what it really is and expect that to make all the difference (for example they call National Insurance "Insurance" and not "Tax" and somehow expect people to believe it's not Tax).

• Haha 1

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

18 hours ago, starlight7 said:

I still lump all Europeans together and that includes British, Irish and Scandinavians. Not that much difference though I guess sometimes I distinguish between Eastern Europeans and Western ones. Now the Americans- they are different.

As long as you don't try and speak English to communicate with all of them. The French don't seem to like that one bit. I was in France on holiday last year, they are a lot different in character to English. Nice people though but different to English.

TBH you only have to travel in England to notice different types in different areas. I realised that when I worked in London for a year or so. Totally different to Northerners.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken said:

England ceased to be a country in 1707, the fact that it is still called a country is all smoke and mirrors. Politicians love to call something by a different name to what it really is and expect that to make all the difference (for example they call National Insurance "Insurance" and not "Tax" and somehow expect people to believe it's not Tax).

Do you get a pension from the UK Ken. I do and wouldn't have it without National Insurance. I don't seem to get any of my tax back I paid over the years.

53 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

As long as you don't try and speak English to communicate with all of them. The French don't seem to like that one bit. I was in France on holiday last year, they are a lot different in character to English. Nice people though but different to English.

TBH you only have to travel in England to notice different types in different areas. I realised that when I worked in London for a year or so. Totally different to Northerners.

It's not so much that they dislike English.  On the whole, the French are over-sensitive about their language and they would rather you not try to speak it at all, than try and end up massacring it.  Which is totally the opposite to, say, the Spanish or the Italians, who are delighted that you're willing to even try.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

49 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Do you get a pension from the UK Ken. I do and wouldn't have it without National Insurance. I don't seem to get any of my tax back I paid over the years.

You didn't actually get your National Insurance back either.  We were all brought up with the idea that somehow, you paid NI contributions in and then you got the proceeds back out - but actually, it's not tracked that way at all.  It's just a tax.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

2 hours ago, Ken said:

England ceased to be a country in 1707, the fact that it is still called a country is all smoke and mirrors. Politicians love to call something by a different name ...

I don't think it's the politicians who think of England and Scotland as separate countries.  The politicians may have decided to "unite" the kingdoms in 1707 but they did it for reasons of power and economics, and it has had zero impact on how most citizens of those two countries identify themselves, even after all this time.  

• Like 1

Whilst we are on tax.

Yesterday the EU Parliament summarised its position on new and additional funding for the EU. It involves the introduction of six new EU-level taxes, as well as removing the rebates enjoyed by some countries. If the UK were still a full member of the EU this would have resulted in an increase of some 50% in the UK’s annual contributions to the EU.

https://facts4eu.org/news/2020_sep_new_eu_taxes

• Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

That's really only Paris. I've struggled to get most Europeans not to use English.

5 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

You didn't actually get your National Insurance back either.  We were all brought up with the idea that somehow, you paid NI contributions in and then you got the proceeds back out - but actually, it's not tracked that way at all.  It's just a tax.

It is a special tax though, in that you can have paid millions in tax over your lifetime, but unless you have paid it evenly over the years, and have attributed a little of it to national insurance every year, they won't give you a full pension. Stupid if you ask me, but hey, it's Britain.

6 minutes ago, simmo said:

Whilst we are on tax.

Yesterday the EU Parliament summarised its position on new and additional funding for the EU. It involves the introduction of six new EU-level taxes, as well as removing the rebates enjoyed by some countries. If the UK were still a full member of the EU this would have resulted in an increase of some 50% in the UK’s annual contributions to the EU.

If the EU was a member it wouldn't have happened.

Yes. We had that much power and influence.

Edited by newjez
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, starlight7 said:

😀😀😀😀 99,% of the people on this messageboard are " european " - including yourself , I presume .

Are you light skinned , and originally from England,  Ireland,  Italy,  Greece,  Spain or anywhere else in Europe ? - but now living in Australia ,the United states  or anywhere else for that matter - that makes you european .

Your DNA is european - you just happen to be living somewhere else 

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

49 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Whatever you want to call it it's bringing me a decent income per month from the UK. If I live long enough I may get even more than I paid in.

50 minutes ago, simmo said:

Whilst we are on tax.

Thank the lord we are getting out 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simmo said:

Whilst we are on tax.

Instead of which the chancellor has borrowed, how much, 57 Billion, which means our total borrowing is now 123 Billion, the highest ever, which will have to be repaid entirely by Briton's populace with no assistance from any other country and no grants from the EU to help with anything.

How much has leaving the EU cost us so far in set up costs so far, 3, 4, 5, 6, ? Billion and ongoing costs of what 1 Billion, make those figures stack up

Enjoy getting your country back.

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

2 hours ago, simmo said:

Whilst we are on tax.

Compare the "failed state" shenanigans of the UK's Home Office with Germany,

I'd like to compare my experience of applying for German citizenship with that of EU citizens in the UK applying for British naturalisation. As I understand it he cost for British naturalisation is £1236 upfront. This fee is not refundable if you fail the process, which 1/3rd of applicants do. There is a 86-page form to fill in and the reported lengthy waiting times for the application to be processed. Then there are the usual Home Office cock-ups, which we read about on a regular basis these days.

And this is how it was for me as a British citizen in Germany. In January 2017, after Theresa May announced she would trigger A50 , I decided to try for citizenship. I sent an email to the local Landratsamt outlining my position. Two days later I got a phone call from the Landratsamt telling me I could apply in June 2017. They told me I would need to have the Deutsch für Zuwanderer and Einbürgerung tests (€180 and €25 respectively) and my pension statement from the Deutsche Rentenversicherung. Fortunately the local college of further education (Volkshochschule) was running both tests the in three weeks time, so I registered for them straight away. I passed both easily as they were in no way difficult. In less than a month the Deutsche Rentenversicherung sent me a full list not only of my German pension contributions but also my Austrian ones and my UK NI contributions. I filled in the 10-page citizenship application form I had downloaded from the Internet, gathered together my birth certificate, marriage certificate etc. together and wrote a CV by hand (I thought this request was a bit odd) and rang the lady at the Landratsamt to tell her that I thought I had everything and could we go through it together. She told me to call by the next day. This was in April 2017.

I went the next day and the lady told me she thought everything was in order and she would start the process early. Four weeks later I was asked to go to the Landratsamt to sign a few forms and two weeks after that I got a letter saying I could pick up my Einbürgerungsurkunde or naturalisation certificate for a fee of €255. had My application failed I would not have had to pay this fee. I took the Einbürgerungsurkunde to my local town hall and ordered an Ausweis or ID card (€28) and a passport (€60). The Ausweis arrived after 2 weeks and the passport 2 weeks later.

So, all in all, a pretty painless and efficient process. Especially in comparison with the process for eligible EU citizens in the UK.

End

And we think that leaving the EU is going to make us a great country!

And 

• Haha 1

The Germans seem to have an efficiency gene built into them. Even notice it at the Aldi checkouts, so much quicker than the Australian owned places.

4 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Compare the "failed state" shenanigans of the UK's Home Office with Germany,

I'd like to compare my experience of applying for German citizenship with that of EU citizens in the UK applying for British naturalisation. As I understand it he cost for British naturalisation is £1236 upfront. This fee is not refundable if you fail the process, which 1/3rd of applicants do. There is a 86-page form to fill in and the reported lengthy waiting times for the application to be processed. Then there are the usual Home Office cock-ups, which we read about on a regular basis these days.

And this is how it was for me as a British citizen in Germany. In January 2017, after Theresa May announced she would trigger A50 , I decided to try for citizenship. I sent an email to the local Landratsamt outlining my position. Two days later I got a phone call from the Landratsamt telling me I could apply in June 2017. They told me I would need to have the Deutsch für Zuwanderer and Einbürgerung tests (€180 and €25 respectively) and my pension statement from the Deutsche Rentenversicherung. Fortunately the local college of further education (Volkshochschule) was running both tests the in three weeks time, so I registered for them straight away. I passed both easily as they were in no way difficult. In less than a month the Deutsche Rentenversicherung sent me a full list not only of my German pension contributions but also my Austrian ones and my UK NI contributions. I filled in the 10-page citizenship application form I had downloaded from the Internet, gathered together my birth certificate, marriage certificate etc. together and wrote a CV by hand (I thought this request was a bit odd) and rang the lady at the Landratsamt to tell her that I thought I had everything and could we go through it together. She told me to call by the next day. This was in April 2017.

I went the next day and the lady told me she thought everything was in order and she would start the process early. Four weeks later I was asked to go to the Landratsamt to sign a few forms and two weeks after that I got a letter saying I could pick up my Einbürgerungsurkunde or naturalisation certificate for a fee of €255. had My application failed I would not have had to pay this fee. I took the Einbürgerungsurkunde to my local town hall and ordered an Ausweis or ID card (€28) and a passport (€60). The Ausweis arrived after 2 weeks and the passport 2 weeks later.

So, all in all, a pretty painless and efficient process. Especially in comparison with the process for eligible EU citizens in the UK.

End

And we think that leaving the EU is going to make us a great country!

And 

My Mrs did it in  about an hour and it cost £0

Edited by simmo

7 hours ago, newjez said:

If the EU was a member it wouldn't have happened.

Yes. We had that much power and influence.

rubbish This is European Parliament it requires a majority only The UK alone can/could not have stopped it.  Shows how much you know. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Rumour of a deal simmo.

What do you reckon?